Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker recommendation with Dev Expert 120 ($2000-3000)
Emerald,

I understand your query, but I just don't see how we can advise you on which speaker to buy. In both of your threads there have been many suggestions as well as cautionary comments about buying without listening; I did once, and it was an expensive, annoying mistake.

We have a group of members who (mostly) agree on the sound quality of the amps, so we have that in common. But beyond that everybody picks different sources, speakers, cables, etc; even funny little cones to put under anything with feet that doesn't breath and move about on it's own.

I've heard the Atohm, and I think it is an excellent speaker; I could easily live with a pair (and am tempted to buy some just to have in the collection). They suit the size of your room and are excellent with the D120. You mention upgrading in the future, but again, you'll be faced with the same situation of buying without being able to listen. You could go on and on without getting a system that suits our ears and your room.

Your room is small, and one frequently overlooked bit of advice is not to buy more speaker than your room can take. The Focal 936 seems like a lot of speaker for such a small room; I'm not sure you could get far enough away from it to really let it work property. I'm sure the Focal with a Be tweeter will be more forward than many other speaker/ tweeter formats, but I'm only going on comments from others, and from hearing some other Be tweeters. But I would not buy based on that listening experience and commentary from others.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you all for your kind time and direction.

I have made the purchase of Focal Aria 936 and did upgrade speaker cable instead of pushing the wallet to a more expensive speaker. Although it has been a week and still not fully broken in. I like what i am hearing. Especially the speaker and power cord upgrade. Made a bigger jump in authority and control.

Truly, thank you all.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Hi Emerald,
Good to read that you settled on a speaker you like. I've been a slow convert to the world of cables, but they can make a real difference so may the the smart way to tune the system to your ears and room. Good move indeed.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada