Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs Supernait/HDX
The reason that my Devialet 120 sounded so inferior to the Supernate was that the Devialet's speaker ports were switched. Hence the speakers got out of phase and once I attached the speaker cable the "wrong" way, they came alive.

My next problem is how to get the Devialet to be able to access my 1000+ CDs ripped with the HDX and stored on a NAS. I downloaded the free version of JRiver and had it import the music from the NAS, but that did not come out right. Information on which tracks belonged to which album seem to have been lost along the way. If any of you have experience of how to best go about this, please let me know. Also, is JRiver the software of choice or are others more stable/easier to use?

Best,
Peter
@Peter: use your HDX like a Player. DEV AND HDX should be connected via 75 Ohm digital cable. It will be works very fine. I prefer apple IOS devise with the Naim App for the library.
Peter,

Someone asked this question on the Naim Forum. if you enter HDX and NAS as search parameters you will find it. I tried to post a direct link but a spam blocker stopped me and then blocked my account on here!

I'm sure that Naim support will help if you ask them. Phil Harris is great guy Smile

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I have 120 for my soul superfly MKII (self-upgrade). I find D120 is too powerful for soul superfly. good that I could reduce the power output to ~60W on the configurator. I love this combo. Before 120, I had naim ndac w/ teddy xps, nait xs with hi-cap, for the soul superfly.

comparing the naim setup vs. 120, I find they are quite different. 120 has more details and the presentation very natural. the naim is a bit more weight / texture to the sound, slightly more emotional.

(23-Nov-2014, 15:40)mikehughescq Wrote: Any update Peter?

I have booked a demo of the D-Premier with my Zu Superfly and Nain CDX2/XPS2 and Pioneer Kuro. Should be interesting.
Warpeon, that's just the sort of info. I've been looking for. Tell me more. What's your source? Speaker cable? Stock power cable? I'm tempted to try a Powerline Smile

I'm going to dem a D-Premier which will give me an idea of how it hangs together sound wise. Logically for me it would then be a second hand D-Premier or a new 120 as I only have 2 sources.

Any recommendations on the settings? What does the sound major on with the Superfly?
My system:
Source: Old Dell Laptop --> cat 7 --> Switch --> cat 7 --> NAS
Network for Devialet: Switch --> cat 7 --> Devialet
CD Player: Oppo 103 --> Blackcat coax --> Devialet

haven't played much with the cables... currently using Zu Wax for speaker cables. Made a AET Hin Evo for power cable. Playing with cables is really not my favorite thing to do, that was a big plus for naim.

(24-Nov-2014, 22:19)mikehughescq Wrote: Warpeon, that's just the sort of info. I've been looking for. Tell me more. What's your source? Speaker cable? Stock power cable? I'm tempted to try a Powerline Smile

I'm going to dem a D-Premier which will give me an idea of how it hangs together sound wise. Logically for me it would then be a second hand D-Premier or a new 120 as I only have 2 sources.

Any recommendations on the settings? What does the sound major on with the Superfly?
That's comprehensive. Thank you. However, would welcome more info. on the "Any recommendations on the settings? What does the sound major on with the Superfly?" bit.
What do you mean by sound major?
Sorry, maybe lost in translation there.

I just meant how do you think the 120 and Superfly work together? How do the Superfly sound I.e what are the significant elements of the sound? I have the first pair of Superfly in the UK and I've found them to love going loud; be less good at low volumes but they can do dynamics and detail as good as anything I've ever heard. In fact the dynamic and micro dynamics can be breathtaking. They also very much reflect what's going upstream so if anything is wrong they let you know about it. I suspect they'll work really well with a D-Premier or 120 but I'm wondering what is gained or lost by dialling down the power AND I'm wondering why Ferenc af Penna prefers them with the Omen Defs?

I'm looking for a detailed description of the sound although I suspect what you'll really be describing is your source. Let's give it a go anyway. I hope that clarifies it.
My view is that zu designed their speakers for tubes, thus, high sensitive and very easy to drive. That's why if u read the literature by zu, they actually say solid state amp may not be the best match. Why soul work (not claiming best match) for me with naim and devialet is the control. When i restrain devialet's power, I feel the soul are more controlled, as good as, or better than naim xs (without hi cap). I don't think anything is missing. I think my zu is appropriately driven. May be I will say something different if I have heard my zu with a tube amp. My 2 cents. Trust your ears.