Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Audiophile: A Visit to Devialet in France
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...et-france/

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Ummm. A bit too gushing for me, and obviously I am a big fan of the product. I notice that AIR is one of our writers favourite Devialet technologies, well if someday everyone does own a Devialet, then the white noise post of this forum will need an awful lot of memory to cope with new posts!
Several forum members including me have never had any problems with white noise even though we use our Devialets for extended periods and stream 24-bit files. It would therefore seem to be the case that the problem only occurs with certain combinations of software and hardware and is not a generic issue with Devialet AIR.

I do sympathise with those who suffer from the "white plague"
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(04-Nov-2014, 22:37)PhilP Wrote: Several forum members including me have never had any problems with white noise even though we use our Devialets for extended periods and stream 24-bit files. It would therefore seem to be the case that the problem only occurs with certain combinations of software and hardware and is not a generic issue with Devialet AIR.

I do sympathise with those who suffer from the "white plague"

A good point, maybe if it was possible to tabulate everyone's PC configurations for power management, memory utilisation and so on, we might find that the solution is one very easy to change PC setting, who knows. Although I would emphasis that I am using a fairly new, 100% bog standard, non optimised HP machine, which must be fairly typical. Perhaps we should try to establish makes, and operating system of white noise and non white noise machines, there might be a trend or pattern somewhere? Let's say Sony laptops work, HP ones problematic etc. it might lead to the solution? I have noticed that the optimised machines seem not to suffer, vs standard ones like mine which do, what's different that cures the evil?
Until I joined this forum I had never heard of a white noise problem Smile
There were a few teething troubles with AIR and I, personally regret the change of technological approach from V1 to V2.
My expectation was that AIR v1 would be the best possible way of computer streaming but it was dropped before it was mature due to customer pressure so we will never know how good it could have been.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Bring back V1 anyone??
(05-Nov-2014, 19:54)Confused Wrote: Bring back V1 anyone??

It would be very interesting to see how v1 would perform when connected with wired ethernet. I did not even get 16/44.1 to work reliably on wifi, but when it worked sound was really exellent.
v1 was also flawed as iTunes was the only library manager - and on Windows there is no way to make iTunes deal with flac files.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Nov-2014, 21:57)ogs Wrote:
(05-Nov-2014, 19:54)Confused Wrote: Bring back V1 anyone??

It would be very interesting to see how v1 would perform when connected with wired ethernet. I did not even get 16/44.1 to work reliably on wifi, but when it worked sound was really exellent.
v1 was also flawed as iTunes was the only library manager - and on Windows there is no way to make iTunes deal with flac files.

Yes, V1 only worked with a Mac and iTunes, which is no problem in reality (IMHO) unless one is being particularly bolshy!
Compared to most hifi we seem happy to pay for a Mac is cheap and I had 4 already Smile, and given the tedious plethora of different file formats none of the players are pain free to convert files for IMHO.

Anyway V1 was too purist for many of the new customers but what we have now is so versatile there are an almost infinite number of ways to set it up wrong...

Edit
Also one important aspect of V1 was its wirelessness, so connecting it with ethernet would have largely defeated the object.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

AIR "V1" worked on Windows+iTunes as well but IMHO it was kind of a "backward" solution in relying solely on iTunes, and using that hideous slow software as a library browser and intercepting it's 'output' through it's API. It was like fitting a Ferrari with a Fiat 500 (the original model) engine. Also Apple has shown many times to not be the most reliable partner to 3rd party developers. What if they decided to drop the API support all of a sudden or change it drastically...

Devialet still has a lot of work to do on AIR and they should hire better people to do it. On paper it's an ideal solution, in practice it has shown to be unreliable (and still is for some) and the USB interface/protocols can sound much better as well.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
CA review's now online; I started a new thread