Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D120 or 200 vs Einstein absolute tune hybrid amp
My only worry is that I've seen a few remarks suggesting the analog inputs aren't very good. I have a couple of hi end Nakamichi tape decks and my Linn klimax renew is analog output only.If it's correct I'm going to lose out a bit when playing them compared to the digital inputs.
I've heard different things about the analog inputs. They seem to be absolute transparent and are more or less lossless.
Sell your Linn and use AIR. This sounfs better.
(25-Jan-2015, 19:23)mojojojo Wrote: Well managed to hear a d200 against the naim gear I mentioned in the post earlier. The naim sounds quite forward sounding compared to the d200.I've now ordered one and saved a lot of shelf space. 

Good choice Smile

I think you're right that Naim equipment generally sounds 'forward' - I guess that's what makes it so appealing on some types of music particularly rock and electronica  though it is a bit unnatural and can become fatiguing after a while.  A CDX2/555PS was perhaps the worst source I tried in this respect - the sound was lively, dynamic and really very good in many ways but I couldn't listen for more than an hour or so without starting to get a headache Sad 

I would say that the more recent equipment (particularly the streamers - NDX and NDS) is generally less forward and more natural than the earlier low to mid-range CD players and amps.

I like what Naim amps do sound-wise but find the multi-box approach and buzzing transformers a complete turn-off.  IMHO the D200 is a bargain as it out-performs Naim amps costing twice to three times the price...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(27-Jan-2015, 09:35)Vivialet Wrote: I've heard different things about the analog inputs. They seem to be absolute transparent and are more or less lossless.

I agree, the analogue inputs are excellent.  My LP12 sounds very good through them Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
I had heard the mc input was good. Will need to compare it to my Einstein phono stage.It's good to hear the analog inputs are good then I won't be missing out when listening to my nak cr7 and zx7.
Philip I know what you mean about the naim cdp's.I used to have a cdx2/xps and thought about changing to a 555ps.I found that combo really forward sounding and couldn't listen to it for long so ended up with a simaudio moon supernova CDP.A lot better.I'll be using it's digital out into the d200 when listening to CDs.
(26-Jan-2015, 11:42)geoff Wrote: Can't speak to the top Naim separates, but sold my Supernait 2 and purchased Devialet 120. No contest. The 120 is the better integrated. Of course opinions are subjective.

Interesting to see another owner sell their Supernait 2, I sold my NDS / 555PS DR / Supernait 2 and HiCap DR in preparation for getting myself a Devialet 200. I also felt the Devialet is much better, due to it's power more specifically when compared to the Supernait 2 / HiCap DR combo. But that was combo was compared to a Devialet 240 at the time of the demo.

(27-Jan-2015, 11:28)PhilP Wrote:
(27-Jan-2015, 09:35)Vivialet Wrote: I've heard different things about the analog inputs. They seem to be absolute transparent and are more or less lossless.

I agree, the analogue inputs are excellent.  My LP12 sounds very good through them Smile

I tried the analogue inputs using an NDS and the sound did change a bit (more warmer sounding) and although there was no loss of detail retrieval, I preferred the sound of it's digital inputs. 
I
(30-Jan-2015, 18:50)gtiboy Wrote: I tried the analogue inputs using an NDS and the sound did change a bit (more warmer sounding) and although there was no loss of detail retrieval, I preferred the sound of it's digital inputs. 

I compared the NDX digital and analogue outputs through my Devialet a few weeks ago and also found more 'warmth' from the analogue output but there was a lot less detail from the NDX analogue output compared to the digital out.  This coupled with your observations would make sense as the NDS DAC clearly delivers a lot more detail than that of the NDX.

Why analogue out is 'warmer' I'm not sure - maybe Naim have voiced the output of their streamers to deliver their 'house sound' ? 
(30-Jan-2015, 19:01)PhilP Wrote:
(30-Jan-2015, 18:50)gtiboy Wrote: I tried the analogue inputs using an NDS and the sound did change a bit (more warmer sounding) and although there was no loss of detail retrieval, I preferred the sound of it's digital inputs. 

I compared the NDX digital and analogue outputs through the index a few weeks ago and also found more 'warmth' from the analogue output but there was a lot less detail from the NDX analogue output compared to the digital out.  This coupled with your observations would make sense as the NDS DAC clearly delivers a lot more detail than that of the NDX.

Why analogue out is 'warmer' I'm not sure - maybe Naim have voiced the output of their streamers to deliver their 'house sound' ? 

Well first of all the NDS has a fully isolated internal layout, including it's optical and analogue inputs, hence why I feel the detail is virtually the same as it's optical output (When listening through the Devialet 240). As for it sounding warmer, you do kind of hear the Naim sound coming through but that's held back some what due the Devialet DAC imposing it's own sound.
Is the air streamer any good? If it was better than my klimax renew D's I could sell that to go the air d400 route.
Well got my d200 a few days ago.I've only used my renew Ds thru analog input and some CD's thru a coaxial input.I'm liking what I'm hearing.How long does it take to burn in?I've only listened to it for about 7-8 hrs.