Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
I have owned a Auralic Aries and both tried USB and AES to my 400. Sold it and went with Roon over AIR 3.0.1, to my ears AIR is better than a Aries no matter what connection I used.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(03-Feb-2017, 18:19)octaviars Wrote: I have owned a Auralic Aries and both tried USB and AES to my 400. Sold it and went with Roon over AIR 3.0.1, to my ears AIR is better than a Aries no matter what connection I used.

Tried the USB against the Ethernet on Melco. Ethernet sounds much better even though it adds Aries Mini in the chain. Not using Roon at the moment but thanks for your suggestion.
Thanks for the report on USB versus Ethernet. This is inline with what I was told on many occasions even though I have not personally A/B the Melco. With that I would wait for the streamer board before deciding.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Does Melco do 256DSD (Quad DSD), or is the playback limited to 128DSD (Double DSD)? I am having issues playing Quad DSD via the Jriver app.
(15-Feb-2017, 17:22)Devialetuser Wrote: Does Melco do 256DSD (Quad DSD), or is the playback limited to 128DSD (Double DSD)? I am having issues playing Quad DSD via the Jriver app.

The player is limited to 128DSD but the server can hold 256DSD.

[Image: image.jpg]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

So the USB output to the DAC would be limited to Double-DSD, and the Player LAN output would be fine with Quad-DSD. Please do correct me if I have got that wrong.
(15-Feb-2017, 23:02)Devialetuser Wrote: So the USB output to the DAC would be limited to Double-DSD, and the Player LAN output would be fine with Quad-DSD. Please do correct me if I have got that wrong.

I read it as the player is limited to 2xdsd regardless. (I think they're USB out only?).

The Devialet is of course limited to DSD64 (1x) anyway.

I wish people would come up with a standard nomenclature for DSD support.

Is it 1x, 2x DSD etc
Or is it DSD64, DSD128
Or is it in MHz?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Melco (DELA) will release a new firmware (v3.2.1) on Feb 23, 2017.
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
(16-Feb-2017, 00:46)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 23:02)Devialetuser Wrote: So the USB output to the DAC would be limited to Double-DSD, and the Player LAN output would be fine with Quad-DSD. Please do correct me if I have got that wrong.

I read it as the player is limited to 2xdsd regardless. (I think they're USB out only?).

Is it 1x, 2x DSD etc
Or is it DSD64, DSD128
Or is it in MHz?

I think it is DSD 128 on the USB out and as the server can hold DSD 256 I suppose a streamer connected to the ethernet out port on a Melco will be able to play DSD 256.

Second system

(15-Feb-2017, 20:51)octaviars Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 17:22)Devialetuser Wrote: Does Melco do 256DSD (Quad DSD), or is the playback limited to 128DSD (Double DSD)? I am having issues playing Quad DSD via the Jriver app.

The player is limited to 128DSD but the server can hold 256DSD.

[Image: image.jpg]

(16-Feb-2017, 06:04)octaviars Wrote:
(16-Feb-2017, 00:46)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Is it 1x, 2x DSD etc
Or is it DSD64, DSD128
Or is it in MHz?

I think it is DSD 128 on the USB out and as the server can hold DSD 256 I suppose a streamer connected to the ethernet out port on a Melco will be able to play DSD 256.

That is also my understanding. Though I would have to try and find out. Maybe over the weekend I will give it a go with the Auralic Aires. I agree that a standard nomenclature should be adopted for DSD. Had to go look up a Wikipedia article, as Jriver was showing just the frequency.