Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries Vs Aurender X100
(18-Nov-2014, 18:14)theaudioguru Wrote: To my ears the usb input sounded better than aes which surprised me, I thought Devialet preferred the aes. The usb was more airy , the aes more like a traditional cd sound, a little flat for my taste.

That was exactly my finding too.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(18-Nov-2014, 18:14)theaudioguru Wrote: I have had the Auralic Aries for almost a month. It's connected with usb via ifi usb into the Devialet.
This has replaced my Mac mini with amarra as my main /preferred digital source.
I'm using jriver as a server to the Aries , it sounds great, it took a while though. Initially the Aries sounded bright with some sibilance. Within a week it had settled down and now I love it.
My delight with Aries may also be due to my frustrations with amarra, I've got tired of the bugs and hassle.
Also , I'm using the qobuz service on the Aries and with very few hiccups it has opened my ears to a world of new music /new releases .
The app tells you the rate the music is streaming at, classical music sounds excellent!

I noticed another thread on the devialet usb cable not needing power, I'll check this out in the future. To my ears the usb input sounded better than aes which surprised me, I thought Devialet preferred the aes. The usb was more airy , the aes more like a traditional cd sound, a little flat for my taste.
So far so good, now I am waiting for Thansgiving USA when the external HD function willbe enabled through an updated lighting app.
Thumbs up from me for the Aries,
theaudioguru

thanks for sharing your feed back theaudioguru

glad to hear that you like it. i am eyeing it as well but unfortunately my local dealer still does not have it yet.

i wanted to ask you how does qobuz integrate with Aries? i mean do you still need a computer for that or can you directly access your qobuz account from the Auralic Aries?

thanks
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(18-Nov-2014, 18:14)theaudioguru Wrote: I have had the Auralic Aries for almost a month. To my ears the usb input sounded better than aes which surprised me, I thought Devialet preferred the aes. The usb was more airy , the aes more like a traditional cd sound, a little flat for my taste.

Could this mean there's less jitter in the USB connection? I'm just wondering, because I read there is a dedicated clock for the USB audio host. At least in there topmodel.

Quote:· ARIES: The set-up model with two individual FemtoClocks for both USB audio host and digital outputs, low noise internal design to eliminate jitter and AURALiC Purer‐Power based 10uV low noise external linear PSU.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Compared to your mac mini with Amarra, do you think the aries sounds better with AES/USB?
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
I also have chosen USB connection. If you have a chance to try Totaldac USB, please consider it.
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the encouragement. To answer a few questions , I didn't directly compare aes from Aries and Mac mini with amarra but for what my memory is worth, I think I'd give the thumbs up to Aes from Aries . ( you can guess I'm tired of the Mac mini solution).
Qobuz works very well on the Aries, no need for a computer for daily operation, the desktop however does have better visuals and more options, for example it seems to connect to information about a particular album online very easily.Maybe this can be done on the Aries but I havent found it.
I also compared tidal to qobuz on Aries and found them the same sonically but prefer qobuz because of genre searching .

I'd love to try the totaldac usb cable !
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
Finally the Aurender X100L is here. I went today for an audition with D800 and WA Sophia 3

[Image: 52c8c0f9b01af438cd39adc3b87aec2e.jpg]

Now I took the Aurender X100L with me to put it in the real test in my system at home.

Will report on the results later tonight
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
The Aurender X100L 8TB in my system

[Image: b0e06aae12f1144cc44ec29edf36b9e2.jpg]

Packaging is very simple. A simple box with the main unit and the power cable

[Image: fe486617910d3c5ae0dd4334bf02990a.jpg]

Build quality is top notch. The unit is solid and will feel at home with any hifi system. At it is relatively heavy.

[Image: b2dad91ce174dd2515ca63c1ffaea7af.jpg]

For connection to my Devialet I used Audioquest USB A/B audio 2.0 cable.

Connection and setup was as simple as connecting all cables/interconnects, download the Aurender Conductor app on my iPad then flipping the power switch on the back of the unit. Checked for firmware update and update was done successfully and smoothly

Lights on!

[Image: b9e8921dbf85019cb0ede01e8efed785.jpg]

The app detects the x100 easily and works like a charm (later on that)

[Image: ece386cb5131db42f584b2eddb777b8c.jpg]

The unit came loaded with few tracks and some WAV test tones at different frequencies up to 192 KHz

However adding tracks to the x100 was as simple as copy and paste from my NAS all controlled from my Macbook. The X100 appears in Finder as a NAS.

Once you have your music loaded the app needs like one minute to update its database and then everything is now at your finger tips. Many filter and sorting options makes navigating the biggest of libraries an easy job.

Creating playlists on the fly is magic and the app is really very well thought of and reliable.

Now sit back and hit the play button and music flow with ease and clarity. Though this is still a brand new unit and I'm sure it will sound even more open with proper break in but out of the box the sound is so clear and crisp. I tend to feel the stage is bigger now and for the first time i feel that indeed I need to upgrade my ML Electromotion ESL Smile

The x100 is very quiet as well. the HDDs will only spin to load the playlist to the 120GB SSD for actual playback and then they stop. Even when they spin to load the needed tracks they are very quiet.

[Image: 0200aa0b9d3f14e33c3d7b7111e01c89.jpg]

After one night with Aurender X100L I have to admit that I'm impressed and it plays very well with Devialet. As if a perfect match to add the missing link of DLNA/UPnP. Ah by the way, one can also stream from other NAS on the network.

Finally, earlier today I had few emails exchanged with TVLogic and was pleased to learn that the Android beta app is out(works very well also) but more importantly I was told that Tidal integration is coming to Aurender by the end of the year or early next year Smile this will simply mean that there will be no need for my laptop in my music room except for when I need to manage my library.

Cheers!

Dubai, UAE
(21-Nov-2014, 12:41)geoff Wrote: Where can I purchase that nice shelve/cabinet piece you have in your pictures with Aurender and Devialet?

This is a simple rack unit from IKEA, nothing fancy in terms of audiophile furniture, but it compliments the simplicity and the aesthetics of Devialet and transparent presence of Martin Logan

Dubai, UAE
Looks very nice, the Aurender as well!! But, I see a lot of glass, solid floors/walls so a lot of reflective surfaces. If you haven't looked at it yet, I think (can't see the whole room of course) your room/music playback quality would benefit enormously from acoustical treatment.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands