Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Advertising Standards Authority ruling against Chord
A very interesting ruling by the Advertising Standards Authority in UK on a complaint about claims made by Chord in an advertisement for their Sarum Tuned ARAY streaming cable.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudicati...GdCFYiQGrX

It opens up all sorts of questions about claims made by Hi-Fi manufacturers particularly where they have little or no technical data to back up those claims.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Same thing happened to Russ Andrews a while back over mains cables, I think
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
The advert does seem to be very over the top to me. I have heard these cables and I do hear a difference (I'm a semi-retired systems/network engineer so I was very sceptical & hence surprised) but the wording of the ad seems to be over-egging it a tad.
The point of the ruling though that they can't objectively prove their claims is interesting though, because surely this applies to virtually all hi-fi advertising? Hi-fi is virtually all subjective so any claim that something sounds better than something else could be considered to breach ASA standards.
Well Rufus, my opinion is that high-fidelity is objective but what people like the sound of is subjective and plenty of fans like the sound made by equipment which is not objectively faithful to the source, and therefore not literally high fidelity.
I know this is a pedantic point of view, and I do not take issue with anybody buying anything that they simply like the sound of, whether it is faithful to the source of adds a bit of something they like first.
Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

"One day, everyone will own a Devialet" ......

I doubt that one would stand up to much scrutiny?
(16-Nov-2014, 15:44)Confused Wrote: "One day, everyone will own a Devialet" ......

I doubt that one would stand up to much scrutiny?

Since it's a claim relating to the future, it'd be hard to prove or disprove. The sense of the claim (if it has any) is: "we will sell you all Devialets". It's not a claim about the technical competence of the kit; it's a (boastful) claim about Devialet's marketing department.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London