Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin Logan Montis and D400
(17-Nov-2014, 16:15)amabrok Wrote:
(17-Nov-2014, 14:56)Nemal1 Wrote: Hi Amabrok, I listen almost exclusively to electronic synthesizer music, with some classical, rock, jazz etc when I fancy a change.

If I'm perfectly honest, this is a bit of a comedown from my previous system (Audio Research Reference amps, Accuphase 800/801 CD player, Avid Acutus reference/Triplanar VII/Koetsu Blue Lace and Wilson Sasha) but only just purchased my new system over the last year since moving to Qatar in 2010 from UK.

I'm learning to enjoy it, and using the CD player rather than macbook air has certainly brought a vast improvement, coupled with running in of the new components. I may look to buy a turntable early next year when I have my CD's and LP's sent over here, and have yet to hear the phono stage of the devialet)

I'm just waiting for a custom artisan silver master/companion lead and silver usb cable. I have the option to compare the Esoteric and Devialet dacs as the K-01x accepts a USB input.

I also find a bit more volume is required to obtain the quality and dynamics I used to enjoy, "demanding" I listen to the music rather than enjoying my book at the same time haha!

I'll post pictures of the system soon.
Thanks! And looking forward to the pictures.

Your views make me wonder if it would be better to divert my upgrade from the ML Electromotion ESL towards A Wilson Audio Sophia 3 instead of the ML Montis? Since theoretically the Sophia should be more versatile and capable of playing a wider range of music genres compared to a hybrid electrostatic speaker.

In this regard I also went today to audition the B&W 802 but I was highly disappointed!! I can almost swear that there was something wrong as the sound was so bright and felt as if being played back through a very rough and cold filter!!

I'm also thinking Dynaudio. Any thoughts about that?

Speakers are nothing if not a personal preference. I couldn't go back to box speakers, but that's just me.

Other box speakers worth trying: Audiovector, Dali Epicons.

I do think the Vivids are very good; unfortunately the bigger ones were well out of my price range. I was only able to buy the Montis because I got an ex-demo pair.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London