Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Devialet's newest technology...?
(18-Nov-2014, 22:19)PhilP Wrote: Can anyone explain what this patent application by Devialet is about. I thought it might provide a clue to future developments but having skimmed through it find it quite confusing.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140003619

I had a look; Unless fig. 2 is a set of stove tops I didn't get any of it.Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(18-Nov-2014, 22:19)PhilP Wrote: Can anyone explain what this patent application by Devialet is about. I thought it might provide a clue to future developments but having skimmed through it find it quite confusing.

Wow, very interesting! What I make of it is an enclosure/box that houses a or multiple integrated loudspeaker drivers with internet/streaming/conventional analog/digital inputs (and outputs to hook it up to external audio systems) and amplifiers, that knows where similar boxes are relative to it's own position allowing someone to dynamically couple multiple of these boxes (master, slave) into one single system. The system adapts the output so if you have for example two boxes and later add another two to the right side of the room the left two will play the left signal and the right two the right. It can also steer and divide bass, mids and highs over multiple boxes so one could create a 'speaker wall'. It is a smart system, through inbuilt microphones and accelerometers the boxes adapt/synchronize to each other to compensate for relative distance, height, rotation etc. But you could also use multiple sources and play to selected boxes. The way the boxes adapt to each other also makes it possible and very easy to move boxes and they even adapt while you move them. But you could also take one or more with you to an other room for example. The boxes communicate though WiFi/Zigbee/Bluetooth or wired.

The boxes by the way could have multiple loudspeaker drivers and amplifiers but also only a or multiple amplifiers OR loudspeaker drivers. Perhaps even multi-channel like 5.1 or 7.1 becomes a possibilty but I don't see that mentioned, I do see mentioned extracting the L+R signals from such an input. Also they could be battery operated or through an external PSU.

These patent texts are a bit hard to read as they are so abstract so if and when it is put into production I'm curious to the 'marketing texts' to really see how it is meant. It really looks interesting though, it's sort of a Sonos multiroom system on a very big dose of steroids! Smile Not really something -as I understand it now and if that is correct- I'd myself probably go for as a replacement of my stereo system but I think it could be appealing for a lot of people, families etc. or even for myself as a multi room system.

edit: the more I read through the patent text the more functionalities I discover. It are Swiss army knives! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Nov-2014, 23:36)Antoine Wrote:

Wow, very interesting! What I make of it is an enclosure/box that houses a or multiple integrated loudspeaker drivers with internet/streaming/conventional analog/digital inputs (and outputs to hook it up to external audio systems) and amplifiers, that knows where similar boxes are relative to it's own position allowing someone to dynamically couple multiple of these boxes (master, slave) into one single system. The system adapts the output so if you have for example two boxes and later add another two to the right side of the room the left two will play the left signal and the right two the right. It can also steer and divide bass, mids and highs over multiple boxes so one could create a 'speaker wall'. It is a smart system, through inbuilt microphones and accelerometers the boxes adapt/synchronize to each other to compensate for relative distance, height, rotation etc. But you could also use multiple sources and play to selected boxes. The way the boxes adapt to each other also makes it possible and very easy to move boxes and take one with you to an other room for example. The boxes communicate though WiFi/Zigbee/Bluetooth or wired.

The boxes by the way could have multiple loudspeaker drivers and amplifiers but also only a or multiple amplifiers OR loudspeaker drivers. Perhaps even multi-channel like 5.1 or 7.1 becomes a possibilty but I don't see that mentioned, I do see mentioned extracting the L+R signals from such an input. Also they could be battery operated or thoguh an external PSU.

These patent texts are a bit hard to read as they are so abstract so if and when it is put into production I'm curious to the 'marketing texts' to really see how it is meant. It really looks interesting though, it's sort of a Sonos multiroom system on a very big dose of steroids! Smile Not really something -as I understand it now and if that is correct- I'd myself probably go for as a replacement of my stereo system but I think it could be appealing for a lot of people, families etc. or even for myself as a multi room system.

Well, I had just spent 30 mins reading through the patent application but I needn't have bothered because you've just produced an excellent, readable summary Wink.

It does make one wonder what the clever chaps at Devialet will dream up next.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Haha, I wanted to understand it myself as well so I had to read it. Big Grin

Like I wrote in my edit, while scrolling through the patent I kept finding more functionalities which I edited in to my summary as you named it. Smile I see you quoted my before my edits were done (doesn't matter of course Smile)

And yes, I agree, very clever and resourceful chaps over there at Devialet, especially if they pull it off (well)!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Nov-2014, 23:48)PhilP Wrote: Well, I had just spent 30 mins reading through the patent application but I needn't have bothered because you've just produced an excellent, readable summary Wink.

Same here! Brilliant explanation Antoine. Rufus and I spent some time this afternoon discussing this patent application. I think we came to the conclusion that this was some Sonos-type "intelligent" active speaker system with ADH built-in of course (so it will sound WAY better than Sonos!). The mind boggles at the possible applications here! In-room EQ too? Depending on where the speaker is situated in the room its output will change? Perfectly modular of course too. Start off wth a couple of boxes and keep adding... Great business model!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Yes I agree, I also thought of Sonos and mentioned that. Indeed the 'boxes' seem to adapt their sound to their relative location and angle to other boxes. I don't see room correction mentioned in itself but it surely would be a nice addition and even a logical next step IMO as well.

This could be(come) big and perhaps, depending on pricing etc. even a market changer! The modular approach makes it indeed a nice business for Devialet as well. Neighbours and friends can later ask each other 'how many Devialet boxes do you have?" Big Grin

edit: I see the patent is already much older than the date of PhilP's link reflects. Though Google I see 19 Jan 2012 mentioned. So if they're working on it we don't know let alone if it is what they're talking about on Facebook. Smile

https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=...ts&start=0

The Netherlands
Thanks for the analysis work and explanations, guys. I can definitely the see the appeal of a high-quality, multi-room system, though, like Antoine, I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet. Be very interested see how it turns out.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
And to not get our 'hopes up', I used to follow Apple and I learned that they file lots of patents, some of which never are really implemented so it could be just an idea as well or something for a far future implementation.

---
I just read this BTW:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-gen...post367608
Quote:FYI, according to Devialet, DSD support for the Devialet 120 and 200 will be available as a firmware update in the first quarter of 2015.

So the plot thickens, would Devialet already tease us with this or is there more? Wink Of course even this should be seen as a rumour even if it was real/true at a certain point of time as things/plans/dates can change.

The Netherlands
Reading through this thread, all is now perfectly clear, Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel was listening to the new massive synchronised array of speakers, listening to something magnificent on DSD via the new file delivery system, playing at huge volume trying the new "Dartzeel" mode, and his moment of emotion was captured just as he soiled his suit following a burst from the random white noise generator.

(allegedly, perhaps the truth may turn out to be slightly different?)
Oh I looked at Facebook and just thought Devialet had invented a listening rug that you could move around depending on where you were sitting
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England