Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual-mono setup - hints and tips
I'm about to try extending my 200 into a 400 dual-mono set-up, and have found only quite sketchy information on Devialet's web site about how to do this. I get the impression that it should all be handled by the configurator and "should just work".

No doubt it's all straightforward once you get started - leaving aside the cable debate! - but I wondered whether anyone had any hints and tips to share?

One concrete question that springs to mind is whether it's possible to clone my existing 200 configuration and add another Devialet to it, or whether I have to build it up again from scratch. I don't see an option in the configurator to copy an existing configuration, which seems like it would be a useful thing to do, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks in anticipation…

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(24-Nov-2014, 14:35)thumb5 Wrote: I'm about to try extending my 200 into a 400 dual-mono set-up, and have found only quite sketchy information on Devialet's web site about how to do this. I get the impression that it should all be handled by the configurator and "should just work".

No doubt it's all straightforward once you get started - leaving aside the cable debate! - but I wondered whether anyone had any hints and tips to share?

One concrete question that springs to mind is whether it's possible to clone my existing 200 configuration and add another Devialet to it, or whether I have to build it up again from scratch. I don't see an option in the configurator to copy an existing configuration, which seems like it would be a useful thing to do, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks in anticipation…

Ian

I don't know whether changing amp from 200 to 400 is considered an edit, but yes, you can edit your configuration using the configurator. Devialet save your configuration for you in your log in area.
Log into the Devialet site and click on "my configurations" the fourth icon along. This will bring up any configurations you have loaded (it is now you wish you had chosen a more informative name for the configuration...) and edit is one of the options.
Let us know how you get on!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi, I did the same thing. When I ordered the second 200 companion unit from Dubai Audio (no hi-fi retailers in Qatar) it was sent with no remote controller or air module, but a crystal cable interconnect and revised memory cards labelled master and companion.
I simply connected as the instruction manual indicates (speaker connections and digital cable linking the two units) and turned on, it worked immediately.
You have the later option of configuring which inputs/settings etc you require in the devialet configarator (highlight the 400 model number and the 2 units will be on display for you to configure as you require)
Hope this helps a little.
By the way, I'm changing the cable to an artisan silver 75 ohm digital interconnect and will report my findings in due course.
Frank, Neil - thanks for your replies. Most likely I'm trying to make it more complicated than it is…

My 200 companion arrived today for evaluation so I'll have a crack at setting up the configuration shortly. Although it comes with a pre-programmed SD card and suggests it should just plug in and go, I guess I probably have to make a custom configuration for the companion to make sure it high-pass filters the speaker outputs as the master is currently doing.

A couple of points I've found out after trying to set up the dual-mono configuration. Hopefully this might help others travelling the same path in future...

I wanted to keep my existing configuration (for the single 200) unchanged so I could revert to it in case I decide the 400 isn't for me. So I started by trying to make a copy of the 200 configuration; it's easy enough to do this by uploading the existing configuration file which can then be modified in the configurator. Obviously the main thing to do is add the second Devialet at this point.

However, the new configuration ends up with the same name as the old one, which is a confusing nuisance. At the moment I haven't found a way to rename a configuration, which is either screen blindness on my part or an oversight in the configurator.

Another potential snag that surprised (and alarmed) me is that when you add the companion Devialet it doesn't get a copy of the speaker settings from the master by default. So for example, filter settings are not copied. I assume that maximum power settings aren't copied either. This seems to me to be another configurator bug, and potentially more serious.

I've asked Devialet about both these points and will update this thread with their replies.
Warwickshire, UK
If I remember correctly, you can rename the configuration you have. If you purchase other spare SD cards, you can save as many as you wish and swap between them (if you have different phono settings for example).

Click the configuration as "save as" and pick whichever name you want
The configurator used to allow you to name the configuration on the screen where you construct the configuration. That has gone. Also you cannot rename the file - that has to be named dp_cfg.txt so that your Devialet recognises it.

You can, of course, store that file on your PC or Mac in a dedicated folder with whatever name you want - such as S45/55M and S45/55C - which is what I use for a speaker ("S") output with a "55"Hz cut on the main speaker and a "45"Hz cut on the subwoofer, for "M" (master) and "C" (companion).
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Renaming the config file is of course straightforward, but what I wanted to change was the name of the configuration as it's reported in the configurator and on the Devialet when it reads the config file. This is actually embedded in the config file but I don't think it can be altered manually - for example, by modifying the config file in a text editor - as the file contents are CRC-protected.

Devialet have confirmed that renaming the configuration in that way is not currently possible using the configurator. I find this a little unsatisfactory given how easily one can create configurations with the same name.

Devialet also confirmed that the companion does not automatically "inherit" any custom speaker (power, filter) settings from those current in the master at the time the companion is added to the configuration. This was described as "not anormal [sic] and will not result in further issues".

That doesn't make sense to me, unless all the max. power and filtering stuff is done on the master and the companion just ignores that part of configuration. However I was also told that wasn't the case.

So, I remain confused on that one.

Anyway, with all that paranoia out of the way, configurations saved to SD card, master and companion wired up - it all seems to be "just working". Which is nice.

And sounding very good, too, at first listen.
Warwickshire, UK