Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power tweaking question
Hello Devialet tweakers

I have a question...

If one were to invest in a top quality power conditioner/regenerator that supplies power to all components in the system is there still a need for high quality power cables for each and every component?

I mean theoretically speaking the power feeding the components would be clean so what would be the need for the premium power cables?

Thanks for responses / comments
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I'd say the answer depends entirely on the individual!

Your question assumes that there's a need for high-quality power cables with a normal mains supply and also (if I understood correctly) that the benefit they bring is by some kind of cleaning effect. Personally I'm not convinced about either of those things from an objective point of view.

Having said that, I know how easy it is to hear improvements in sound quality when changing cables. And there's nothing wrong with that even if it doesn't stand up to technical explanation - it's all about personal taste, after all.

So my best guess is: premium cables would be needed no more or less than they are currently...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(24-Nov-2014, 21:39)thumb5 Wrote: I'd say the answer depends entirely on the individual!

Your question assumes that there's a need for high-quality power cables with a normal mains supply and also (if I understood correctly) that the benefit they bring is by some kind of cleaning effect. Personally I'm not convinced about either of those things from an objective point of view.

Having said that, I know how easy it is to hear improvements in sound quality when changing cables. And there's nothing wrong with that even if it doesn't stand up to technical explanation - it's all about personal taste, after all.

So my best guess is: premium cables would be needed no more or less than they are currently...
Thanks thumb5

But I'm not sure I understand Smile

So you would go for a better power cord instead of investing in power conditioners or regenerator? Or you would do both?

I guess my question is do they technically have the same function or do they serve different purposes?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(25-Nov-2014, 04:56)amabrok Wrote: Thanks thumb5

So you would go for a better power cord instead of investing in power conditioners or regenerator? Or you would do both?

I guess my question is do they technically have the same function or do they serve different purposes?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be obtuse but I obviously didn't say anything useful. Let me try to be less wishy-washy...

I can understand roughly how a power regenerator works technically and it definitely has a measurable effect on mains quality (distortion, stability, etc.). But equally you'd think that the design of the Devialet power supply (along with other well-engineered components) should make it relatively immune to mains quality. So for me the jury is still out on "how" it works, really.

In the case of cables, I honestly can't understand how a mains cable can affect the sound quality.

Nevertheless I have tried both regenerators and expensive(ish) mains cables and heard sound quality differences.

My experience with the regenerator -- a PS Audio Power Plant Premier -- was not with the Devialet but was mixed: I found it made a positive change when I installed it, but then when I took it out after several months as an experiment, I preferred the sound without it.

I've tried several different power cables with my 200, and heard differences between them. I'm currently using a Vertex AQ Silver Roraima, which wasn't chosen particularly scientifically - it was to hand because I used it with my previous amplifier. To me this sounds better than the standard power cord but I don't know why that should be.

If you enjoy tuning and tweaking, you'll want to try both a power conditioner/regenerator and power cables, I think.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Nov-2014, 04:56)amabrok Wrote:
(24-Nov-2014, 21:39)thumb5 Wrote: I'd say the answer depends entirely on the individual!

Thanks thumb5

Hi,

Why not start with a dedicated mains spur/cable if not done yet! That brought the biggest difference into my system. I know some on this forum had other orders of impact.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(25-Nov-2014, 11:57)Mikeeo Wrote: Why not start with a dedicated mains spur/cable if not done yet! That brought the biggest difference into my system.

I fully agree. And quite a bit cheaper than most mains tweaks!

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mains-pow...nditioning

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(25-Nov-2014, 11:56)thumb5 Wrote:
(25-Nov-2014, 04:56)amabrok Wrote: Thanks thumb5

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be obtuse but I obviously didn't say anything useful. Let me try to be less wishy-washy...

I can understand roughly how a power regenerator works technically and it definitely has a measurable effect on mains quality (distortion, stability, etc.). But equally you'd think that the design of the Devialet power supply (along with other well-engineered components) should make it relatively immune to mains quality. So for me the jury is still out on "how" it works, really.

In the case of cables, I honestly can't understand how a mains cable can affect the sound quality.

Nevertheless I have tried both regenerators and expensive(ish) mains cables and heard sound quality differences.

My experience with the regenerator -- a PS Audio Power Plant Premier -- was not with the Devialet but was mixed: I found it made a positive change when I installed it, but then when I took it out after several months as an experiment, I preferred the sound without it.

I've tried several different power cables with my 200, and heard differences between them. I'm currently using a Vertex AQ Silver Roraima, which wasn't chosen particularly scientifically - it was to hand because I used it with my previous amplifier. To me this sounds better than the standard power cord but I don't know why that should be.

If you enjoy tuning and tweaking, you'll want to try both a power conditioner/regenerator and power cables, I think.

Thanks thumb5. Now I understood you perfectly fine Smile

I guess you are right. It will all boil down to trying in my own system as there are so many variables and too many personal preferences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubai, UAE