Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can You Hear the Difference in High Quality Music? Test Yourself
Via those awfully nice people at Tidal...

http://test.tidalhifi.com/

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(24-Nov-2014, 23:11)rik Wrote: Via those awfully nice people at Tidal...

http://test.tidalhifi.com/

Rik

Hi Rik, did you hear "the" difference on your system? Smile
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
No, I'm deaf as a post.

:-)
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(25-Nov-2014, 07:24)rik Wrote: No, I'm deaf as a post.

:-)

I will try tonight on my system and report back

But I have to admit that I heard CD quality as good as high resolution files. So I guess it either depends on the quality of the recording or I'm deaf as a post as well
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Sad 
On low (normal listening) volumes it's quite hard to differentiate i must say, only got 3 out of 5 and the ones i got right weren't a clear cut case
Strange though since i normally do easily hear differences between spotify and qobuz. On the other hand, quality of the recording usually makes more difference in terms of perceived sound quality than if it's a lossless or (slightly) compressed file.
(25-Nov-2014, 09:45)Rob35 Wrote: On low (normal listening) volumes it's quite hard to differentiate i must say, only got 3 out of 5 and the ones i got right weren't a clear cut case
Strange though since i normally do easily hear differences between spotify and qobuz. On the other hand, quality of the recording usually makes more difference in terms of perceived sound quality than if it's a lossless or (slightly) compressed file.

i agree! some of the MP3 VBR 320 kbps files sound better than CD quality or even high resolution files of other recordings. so original recording plays a major role.

having said that, i am still a big fan of PCM 24 bit/96 Khz or higher as i believe it sounds great (all other factors fixed)

also for me it is very critical especially now with the Aurender>>Devialet>>Martin Logan which is a very revealing system and have no mercy in exposing bad recordings and/or poorly compressed files

Dubai, UAE
I ran the test and got 4 out of 5 but again it was not that clear. i could have easily missed them all.

could it be that the Devialet up-samples low res files?!!! or could be that Tidal's lossless are not that good?! or is it really all subjective ? Smile

Dubai, UAE