Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital for the Vinyl Purist
Hello guys.

Not trying to challenge or change any believes and/or perceptions. But I just find this a cool read with a great mention of Devialet Smile

http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comme..._advocate/
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(28-Nov-2014, 14:57)amabrok Wrote: Hello guys.

Not trying to challenge or change any believes and/or perceptions. But I just find this a cool read with a great mention of Devialet Smile

http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comme..._advocate/

Controversial! I like the tea ceremony comment that somebody made.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Actually, I don't think this is controversial, or at least, it pretty much agrees with my own observations, and this is from someone who has just bought a new turntable! The fact is, I have a lot of music on vinyl, going back many, many, years. The new turntable is there so I have something to play all this old vinyl on, and of sufficient quality to do justice to the Devialet. I love vinyl in so many ways and very often am delighted by the sound quality, when it's good, there is something special about the sound of vinyl, somehow more real and organic. (even if technically it isn't) But when buying new music, I almost always buy on CD or occasionally as hi res downloads. (Not much that I want to buy is available as 24bit) I don't see much point buying new stuff on vinyl, with DAC's of the quality of the Devialets's digital just sounds so good, and on top of this the price of some 180g offerings is crazy.

Having said that, I was stuck in a hotel a while back and they were holding a record fair in one of their conference rooms, and I did end up spending well over £100 on all sorts of strange second-hand black stuff .
(06-Dec-2014, 17:31)Confused Wrote: Actually, I don't think this is controversial, or at least, it pretty much agrees with my own observations, and this is from someone who has just bought a new turntable! The fact is, I have a lot of music on vinyl, going back many, many, years. The new turntable is there so I have something to play all this old vinyl on, and of sufficient quality to do justice to the Devialet. I love vinyl in so many ways and very often am delighted by the sound quality, when it's good, there is something special about the sound of vinyl, somehow more real and organic. (even if technically it isn't) But when buying new music, I almost always buy on CD or occasionally as hi res downloads. (Not much that I want to buy is available as 24bit) I don't see much point buying new stuff on vinyl, with DAC's of the quality of the Devialets's digital just sounds so good, and on top of this the price of some 180g offerings is crazy.

Having said that, I was stuck in a hotel a while back and they were holding a record fair in one of their conference rooms, and I did end up spending well over £100 on all sorts of strange second-hand black stuff .

I hear you Confused Smile

there is this magic of holding and owning a record. I guess it is like the magic of leafing through the pages of a book and feeling its texture on your fingertips.

i contrast that book / e-book paradigm shift with the record / hi-res download (or even more, streaming and not owning anything at all). it strikes me as very similar.

i still yearn to holding books, but i succumb to the the convenience and the additional benefits of having and an ebook reader. same thing with music. i guess one way or the other we all like holding records or physical media in our hands but let us face, digital has become very good now and it is amazingly convenient, i can now sift through tera bytes of music in seconds whereas the other night it took me ages to find Roger Waters Ca Ira CD in my library racks!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(06-Dec-2014, 17:41)amabrok Wrote: I hear you Confused Smile

there is this magic of holding and owning a record. I guess it is like the magic of leafing through the pages of a book and feeling its texture on your fingertips.

i contrast that book / e-book paradigm shift with the record / hi-res download (or even more, streaming and not owning anything at all). it strikes me as very similar.

i still yearn to holding books, but i succumb to the the convenience and the additional benefits of having and an ebook reader. same thing with music. i guess one way or the other we all like holding records or physical media in our hands but let us face, digital has become very good now and it is amazingly convenient, i can now sift through tera bytes of music in seconds whereas the other night it took me ages to find Roger Waters Ca Ira CD in my library racks!

Funnily enough, I was doing a bit of pre Christmas clearing up today. Moving some stuff out of the smallest bedroom, which is used more as a storage room, I found myself idly flicking through a couple of the 12" record boxes in there. It was a box full of memories, plus quite a few "must take that downstairs for a play" moments. So no, I don't think you get that kind of fun and emotion looking through an iTunes file structure.
An interesting take on the vinyl versus digital debate:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/0...r-digital/