Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools for library management?
(28-Nov-2014, 19:36)amabrok Wrote:
(28-Nov-2014, 19:28)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, sorry should have said: I rip everything to ALAC.

lucky u Smile i am stuck with a huge Flac library now and it is a tall order to encode everything to ALAC

Yate seems promising, thanks for the tip!

I do use dbPowerAmp on a Windows7 laptop for the ripping. It's also possible to edit the ID-tags or adding/changing albumart later on with the same software.

@amabrok:for your interest: the dbPowerAmp software suite does have a possibility of conversion in a batch, e.g. change your hole flac's library in an alac library. I did use that once, when I changed from iTunes to JRiver (alac's in flac's). It took all night before the job was done, but there where no mistakes at all.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
An interesting subject, I was a really early adopter of iTunes, and have many years worth of playlists, rated tracks etc. I use JRiver for quality and serious listening, but I just can't get away from iTunes, so much legacy effort invested and it just does what I want, I wish I could transfer this to JRiver, or just as good get truly optimum sound quality from iTunes. Maybe I need an audio optimised Mac with the right software tweaks?
I use dbPowerAmp for ripping.

There's no better library system than JRiver, especially if you have a large collection of classical music that's meticulously tagged. But I'm not really interested in tagging beyond the most basic: composers, conductors, performers.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(29-Nov-2014, 01:16)Jwg1749 Wrote: I use dbPowerAmp for ripping.

There's no better library system than JRiver, especially if you have a large collection of classical music that's meticulously tagged. But I'm not really interested in tagging beyond the most basic: composers, conductors, performers.

Matt

Yes, maybe, but no good if you can't transfer all your legacy ratings from iTunes. I even posted a query about this on the JRiver forum, the only suggestion was to make a folder of all 5 rated tunes, load the lot into JRiver, rate all 5, then repeat for 4, 3, 2, 1. And I thought computers should be able to do the graft!
(29-Nov-2014, 01:28)Confused Wrote:
(29-Nov-2014, 01:16)Jwg1749 Wrote: I use dbPowerAmp for ripping.

Matt

Yes, maybe, but no good if you can't transfer all your legacy ratings from iTunes. I even posted a query about this on the JRiver forum, the only suggestion was to make a folder of all 5 rated tunes, load the lot into JRiver, rate all 5, then repeat for 4, 3, 2, 1. And I thought computers should be able to do the graft!
Hi Confused

Thanks to @thumb5 earlier tip, I noticed that Yate can link to iTunes library and get additional data like rating. Could this be your answer? See how can you use. YATE to update the tagging of your library with iTunes rating before migrating it to another software.

I'm not sure how to do it but I would give it a try. You can download the trial version which is fully functioning for 14 days

(28-Nov-2014, 21:09)PhilP Wrote: Another vote for the excellent XLD for ripping and transcoding. I use Datamatics for editing tags.
Hi PhilP, are you on PC or Mac?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(28-Nov-2014, 21:09)PhilP Wrote: Another vote for the excellent XLD for ripping and transcoding. I use Datamatics for editing tags.

Hi PhilP

i can see now from your signature that you are indeed a Mac user. i searched for Datamatics but could not find it, can you please share a link.

thanks
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
I use XLD for ripping my CD's to AIFF.

For library management I use iTunes and Amarra 3.0
Devialet Expert 250 PRO Core, Innuos Statement 4TB, Primare BD32 Disc Player,  Stenheim Alumine Three, Tellurium Q Cables

Smoerum, Denmark
(29-Nov-2014, 07:01)amabrok Wrote:

Hi PhilP

i can see now from your signature that you are indeed a Mac user. i searched for Datamatics but could not find it, can you please share a link.

thanks

Sorry, I meant Metadatics (brain fade) Smile. Its available on the Apps Store
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(29-Nov-2014, 12:12)PhilP Wrote:
(29-Nov-2014, 07:01)amabrok Wrote:

Hi PhilP

thanks

Sorry, I meant Metadatics (brain fade) Smile. Its available on the Apps Store

no worries Smile

i frequently get "brain fades" especially when i am high on music Smile

thanks for sharing though. i will check it now

Dubai, UAE
I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd add my ten cents . . .

Everything is currently on Windows 7 with a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

I used iTunes for years but got fed up with no FLAC support so moved to MediaMonkey Gold which I now use for management and basic tagging (usually fixing errors).  I converted my ALAC files to FLAC with dBpoweramp Music Converter in batch mode - took me a couple of days but no real issues.  However, I never used the ratings options in iTunes, nor any other "useage" tags (e.g. number of plays etc.) so whether they get carried across or not was never an issue for me.

I really wanted FLAC because of cross-platform support plus I've been a big Squeezebox user since the early days and they have native FLAC support whereas ALAC has to transcoded on the fly by the server, which is only a little EeePC with an Atom processor and a 1GB drive stuffed inside (by me).

Ripping I also do via dBpoweramp.  It goes into my main desktop PC where any errors are fixed (ditto downloads) by MediaMonkey.  I occasionally use MP3Tag if I have problems with MP3 files.  I then run FreeFileSync on the netbook server which copies new files and changes from the "master" PC to its disk (both it and the main PC are hard-wired to the router so it's quite quick) and finally tell LMS (Logitech Media Server) to add the updates to its library (which is read-only by design) for use by my various Squeezeboxes.  It all sounds harder than it actually is . . . 

MediaMonkey is also good IMHO for putting stuff on iPads, iPhones etc. because it converts FLAC content to MP3 on the fly during the copying process.

Currently at 32,795 tracks and no real issues with any of the above.  But happy to hear about alternatives . . .
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal