Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Devialet 400
You should listen MAC with 400 ONLY connected with digital cable. Analog (RCA) is not a good option for playing CD from CD Player. Sound via DIGITAL inputs is much better...
The amp, while its still new needs to run in for like 100 hours and thats what I gather from the thread and thanks to all who have replied. I wanted to know further if the amplifier needed to be on a certain volume throughout the 100 hour journey or is any volume ok .

Also just being curious , why does a class D amplifier need 100 hours to set in , this is quite a technical question buut I hope some of you could reply.

thank you .
The need for run-in isn't a given, and seems to vary between units/owners. Both my (brand new) 200s sounded good straight out of the box but I know that hasn't been everyone's experience. I haven't seen any convincing explanation of what might be going on during a run-in period, other than psychology. (Of course I'm not saying that there can't be any concrete, technical explanation, though.)

On a point of detail: the Devialets are not simply Class D amplifiers but a hybrid between Class A and Class D, hence the term ADH.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Dec-2014, 07:39)Sachin Wrote: The amp, while its still new needs to run in for like 100 hours and thats what I gather from the thread and thanks to all who have replied. I wanted to know further if the amplifier needed to be on a certain volume throughout the 100 hour journey or is any volume ok .

Also just being curious , why does a class D amplifier need 100 hours to set in , this is quite a technical question buut I hope some of you could reply.

thank you .

There is no technical reason why any amp should be run in for 100 hrs or even 1hr for that matter, my 800 sounds same now as it did when I unpacked it. As always YMMV as will others..
(05-Dec-2014, 07:48)Sachin Wrote: Hello everyone , I am a new user to Devialet 400 , which i got after auditioning the 200 which i must say was too good to be true.

i previously had Mcintosh Ma7000 and have B&W 802D Speakers. The sound here was really good and i wanted to upgrade something that matched the speakers , so i got the Devialet 400.

I am right now not quite pleased with the 400 , the reasons as follows .

the 400 lacks the clarity in vocals as I had in Mcintosh ma 7000 and also the Devialet 200 .

The unit - BOTH MASTER AND SLAVE gets very hot , i mean very hot .

The distributor here tells me that the 400 has to run for a minimum of 100 hours before it can be optimised .

I am not sure if this is true and this is all confusing after spending so much on this new amp 400.

Will appreciate if anyone can help me with their comments .

cheers

Some believe in burn in personally I don't and there should be no technical reason why this is the case. In relation to cables you only need to follow the guidelines of gauge, capactiance, inductance and appropriate ohms for the given applications. If you want cables at real world prices that are made to specs that matter look no further then blue jeans cables which have a very strong following for delivering exactly what's needed at good price.interesting what you are saying re heat, my 800 usually runs relatively cold, although I have found that when it does run hot it becomes harsh and I get fatigue very quickly..
(08-Jan-2015, 12:22)DBdub Wrote: Some believe in burn in personally I don't and there should be no technical reason why this is the case. 

I admit that its difficult to find published technical analysis to support the notion of burn in periods for audio equipment though there are post from thousands of 'audiophiles' who believe that they have experienced it Smile

However, several Devialet owners including me have noticed that the temperature at which the amps run is quite high and variable when fresh out of the box but then settles down to a lower level after a period of a few weeks or so.  It seems likely that something is going on akin to a burning-in period and this has measurable (non-subjective) side-effects. 

I think Devialet themselves refer to a 75hr burn in period. Similarly, Naim who's kit I owned previously and who I don't particularly think of as purveyors of snake-oil say in their manuals "Naim equipment takes a considerable time to run in before it performs at its best. The duration varies, but under some conditions the sound may continue to improve for over a month'. Presumably this is something both manufacturers have noted and believe themselves otherwise why would they say it?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(08-Jan-2015, 13:13)PhilP Wrote:
(08-Jan-2015, 12:22)DBdub Wrote: Some believe in burn in personally I don't and there should be no technical reason why this is the case. 

However, several Devialet owners including me have noticed that the temperature at which the amps run is quite high and variable when fresh out of the box but then settles down to a lower level after a period of a few weeks or so.  It seems likely that something is going on akin to a burning-in period and this has measurable (non-subjective) side-effects. 

I support this. I had a similar experience with my D200. out of the box it was cold, harsh and sound was seriously degraded to a point i was considering to return it back to my dealer. but then after few days of continuous run, it started to open up and show the true quality of the amp!!!

contrary to that, later when i ordered the companion D200, out of the box it was not as off as the master and it sounded as good as the master did after running it in for almost a month!

i do not have a scientific explanation for this phenomenon but i believe and trust my ears!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(08-Jan-2015, 13:38)amabrok Wrote:
(08-Jan-2015, 13:13)PhilP Wrote:

I support this. I had a similar experience with my D200. out of the box it was cold, harsh and sound was seriously degraded to a point i was considering to return it back to my dealer. but then after few days of continuous run, it started to open up and show the true quality of the amp!!!

contrary to that, later when i ordered the companion D200, out of the box it was not as off as the master and it sounded as good as the master did after running it in for almost a month!

i do not have a scientific explanation for this phenomenon but i believe and trust my ears!

Hi

Yes me to, my 200 used to run at 60 - 70 degrees, but just had it running for about 7 hours into Magico S5 with SAM and the temp is 39 degrees so it has definitely changed hugely since first use.

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
For sure there is a 'settling' time and I estimate that my units took some 300 hours to 'bed' in. 
I started with a 170, that was running in the 45 degrees C's but with the 200 upgrade and its first software (7.0) the 200 was running very high in a matter of 60 degrees C's but with the next software (7.1) everything cooled down again to 45 C's. What software/firmware are you running?
My units did run a bit hotter, like 5 deg C higher in the beginning. I also notice that the units need 30-60 min after being cold to gain its full flavor (with 170 about 15 min).

My master and companion run at almost the same temperature even if my companion runs 4 deg C more than the master for the D amp.

Even at very sound pressures at home (-5 to 0 dB on attenuation) both units just creeps over 50 deg C a bit.

I have my units side by side which I for sure would recommend for cooling purposes.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
There are good technical reasons for burn in. The characteristics of some electronic components change from new due to changes caused by heat on the composition of the components, material properties can change when subjected to heat.