Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens 2014: Wilson Audio Sasha II dancing with the Devi(a)l(et)
http://theaudiotraveler.com/2014/12/07/a...-devialet/
(07-Dec-2014, 19:06)mauidan Wrote: http://theaudiotraveler.com/2014/12/07/a...-devialet/

Nice to see my system and speakers being reviewed! Same colour too: Carmen red.

Thanks for sharing. Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-Dec-2014, 20:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Dec-2014, 19:06)mauidan Wrote: http://theaudiotraveler.com/2014/12/07/a...-devialet/

Nice to see my system and speakers being reviewed! Same colour too: Carmen red.

Thanks for sharing. Smile

Guillaume

thanks for Sharing, nice indeed. i think if I am to decide to go back to boxed loudspeakers it will be most probably a Wilson Audio.

I am surprised though that the author referrers to Devialet as Class D!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
And nice to see someone (a dealer) correcting him in the comments! Actually there's some new comments since I last read it and they're quite interesting.
(08-Dec-2014, 12:33)Rufus McDufus Wrote: And nice to see someone (a dealer) correcting him in the comments! Actually there's some new comments since I last read it and they're quite interesting.

I found this comment by John Bevier particularly interesting:

"Proof the Devialet is not an industry standard “Class-D” amp, I’ve personally removed the back off the unit, gently removed the Class-D modules and to the utter amazement of the room full of people, the amplifier just keeps playing – no drop in gain, no change in sound – just the same sweet sounding delicate precise sound as before."
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(08-Dec-2014, 15:09)PhilP Wrote:
(08-Dec-2014, 12:33)Rufus McDufus Wrote: And nice to see someone (a dealer) correcting him in the comments! Actually there's some new comments since I last read it and they're quite interesting.

I found this comment by John Bevier particularly interesting:

"Proof the Devialet is not an industry standard “Class-D” amp, I’ve personally removed the back off the unit, gently removed the Class-D modules and to the utter amazement of the room full of people, the amplifier just keeps playing – no drop in gain, no change in sound – just the same sweet sounding delicate precise sound as before."

One of the senior Devialet engineers did that at an Oxford Audio Consultants day a few years ago, with a D-Premier.
Since the way ADH works is, to use their analogy, a bit like power steering, the amp works fine with the digital modules removed, but the max current available is much reduced and the output impedance goes up a lot.
Without power steering you can still steer, it is just heavy and slow.
Reading the replies by the Greek author leads me to believe he is either not very technically minded, hard of understanding, or something. He seems more than usually obtuse.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(08-Dec-2014, 15:29)f1eng Wrote: ... Reading the replies by the Greek author leads me to believe he is either not very technically minded, hard of understanding, or something. He seems more than usually obtuse.

Perhaps he just doesn't like being corrected in public - after all he apparently had his "own radio show at 15". The trouble is he's just making things worse by being obtuse Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(08-Dec-2014, 15:49)PhilP Wrote:
(08-Dec-2014, 15:29)f1eng Wrote: ... Reading the replies by the Greek author leads me to believe he is either not very technically minded, hard of understanding, or something. He seems more than usually obtuse.

Perhaps he just doesn't like being corrected in public - after all he apparently had his "own radio show at 15". The trouble is he's just making things worse by being obtuse Wink

Yup he's digging himself in deeper... all he had to do was accept that he'd got it slightly wrong... the silly thing is that he's now attacking Devialet when based on his review he really liked what he heard. I wonder what all his readers make of this.

Tricky thing social media.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Just think how confused Mr.Panagiotis would have been if there was an Entreq box connected to the D800.;-)
Thanks Guys! Learned a new word; Obtuse. Know a lot of people like that Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.