Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Meridian MQA
Seems like they are saying that some part of the process allows them to correct for errors in the original A-D converter.

Sounds interesting if so, there is hope for all those dodgy early digital recordings!
(23-Dec-2014, 09:30)Chris Marshall Wrote: Seems like they are saying that some part of the process allows them to correct for errors in the original A-D converter.

Sounds interesting if so, there is hope for all those dodgy early digital recordings!

Not just early recordings! I have a couple of CD's that I have bought recently, new releases, that do sound very harsh. Checking on the Devialet’s input level meters, these run almost 100% in the “orange” zone. ("Slammed up against the buffers" is the mastering term, I believe)
So my view on MQA or any other format is that if it can be used as a means to get whoever it is doing the original mastering to take a bit of care, or indeed to get someone doing the mastering who actually knows what he is doing, then it can only be a good thing.
New update re MQA from CES!

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2015-ti...ridian-mqa

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Jan-2015, 18:12)GuillaumeB Wrote: New update re MQA from CES!

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2015-ti...ridian-mqa

Guillaume

interesting! thanks for sharing. hopefully they won't kill it with pricing
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Meridian are doing an MQA roadshow and Seven Integration in Surrey (also a Devialet dealer) will hopefully soon be hosting one of these. It's not yet clear how MQA can be integrated into the Devialet ecosystem without an off board DAC (for e.g. Meridian Explorer 2) but I understand Meridian is talking to a lot of different hardware companies presumably to licence MQA. So you never know, this might just come to Devialet!

I suppose at this stage I am very interested in hearing the difference that MQA (allegedly) makes. I'm therefore going to try to attend one of these and will let everyone know in case they want to come along too.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
My understanding that MQA will bring better delivery and streaming with lower consumption of connection bandwidth thanks to an efficient packing algorithm. But it won't necessarily bring sound quality improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(12-Jan-2015, 06:43)amabrok Wrote: My understanding that MQA will bring better delivery and streaming with lower consumption of connection bandwidth thanks to an efficient packing algorithm. But it won't necessarily bring sound quality improvement

They do claim a better timing and a fully restoring of the original master; so that seams an improvement to me.

Here is an interesting article about a comparison between MQA and 'ordinary' highres music:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/merid...impression

The more technical information about MQA is on page one of the article:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-h...idians-mqa
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
I was reading several reports from the CES that Meridian was demoing MQA vs MP3 and it obviously sounded much better but they did not compare it to any Hi-res format. Meridian claims that MQA is (slightly?) better than 192/24 but no independent confirmation of that. It would be also important to consider the recording and conversion (A-D D-A) process with different file formats!
I would be content if it would allow 96/24 quality in a small file size allowing steaming and/or downloading!
Interview with Bob Stuart, Meridian Audio founder, on MQA

http://www.whathifi.com/news/meridian-ta...e=20150116

Dubai, UAE
Hi res music and Meridian MQA was featured in this week's "BBC Click" tv program. The program does not provide much in the way of new information, certainly not for the type of people that might frequent a forum such as this, but I think it is significant that issues such as this are now slowly beginning to be discussed in mainstream television programs.