Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Meridian MQA
(11-Jan-2015, 21:46)GuillaumeB Wrote: Meridian are doing an MQA roadshow and Seven Integration in Surrey (also a Devialet dealer) will hopefully soon be hosting one of these. It's not yet clear how MQA can be integrated into the Devialet ecosystem without an off board DAC (for e.g. Meridian Explorer 2) but I understand Meridian is talking to a lot of different hardware companies presumably to licence MQA. So you never know, this might just come to Devialet!

I suppose at this stage I am very interested in hearing the difference that MQA (allegedly) makes. I'm therefore going to try to attend one of these and will let everyone know in case they want to come along too.  Smile

Guillaume

Hello chaps, if anyone is interested I'm told that Seven Integration will have the MQA demo kit for a few days in March between the 11th and 18th. I'm going to try and coordinate this with them so please let me know by PM if you'd like to come along. I think it could be fun! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
MQA for Dummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wxRGiBoJg
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
thanks for the link Robert, that was very informative
exciting times ahead Smile
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
More from Audiostream on the topic….

http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-c...geG210K.97

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I understand that MQA works best when decoded, but the good folks at MQA also say that MQA-encoded files will sound better than conventional files even when NOT decoded.

So for anyone wishing to test MQA in this fashion, you can go to the 2L site (link below -- you will see MQA files in the middle of the FREE download page) and give it a whirl.

I will try some of the MQA files when I return home on Thursday from a business trip.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I downloaded Blagutten and Come away, death last night and casually listened.
I only have a modest system that only handles 96kHz and does not decode MQA, so my opinion is probably unimportant.
But, for what it is worth, I may be able to distinguish between the stereo files, just preferring the MQA.
The multi channel files are immediately obvious, and personally, I much prefer this format for the Finzi file.

More importantly, from my viewpoint, is that MQA works and I have been able to listen to a 352.8kHz sampled
file although only up to the CD frequency limit of 20kHz. Eagerly await how Tidal markets MQA.
(20-Jan-2016, 20:31)alandbush Wrote: I downloaded Blagutten and Come away, death last night and casually listened.
I only have a modest system that only handles 96kHz and does not decode MQA, so my opinion is probably unimportant.
But, for what it is worth, I may be able to distinguish between the stereo files, just preferring the MQA.
The multi channel files are immediately obvious, and personally, I much prefer this format for the Finzi file.

More importantly, from my viewpoint, is that MQA works and I have been able to listen to a 352.8kHz sampled
file although only up to the CD frequency limit of 20kHz.  Eagerly await how Tidal markets MQA.

Alandbush, good to know that some have already tried the encoded -- but not decoded -- files and were pleased.  I am eager to try myself and will do so later this week when I have access to my Dev200.  I will access the files via AIR and Bluesound and report back.  As with you, I am eager for the TIDAL encoding and, on my part, Bluesound decoding.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I tried one 2L file (Britten: Simple Symphony, Op. 4) and listened to it via Mac/Audirvana+. The 24/96 version sounded much better than the MQA. So at least for that piece not decoded MQA had a similar sound quality to MP3. On CA there are several threads including this one (with measurements): http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/...-flac-674/
Apparently MQA files need some decoding to sound as good or better than redbook. MQA now stresses the end to end i.e. AD and then DA conversions must be maintained in MQA technology. The first version would be a conversion in a server/streamer with a MQA licensed/approved software (Roon?) including some compensation of the DAC performance or the second version is MQA decoding at the DAC level. I wonder if these 2 options are sonically similar. The first option would be possible through appropriate streamers or computer software semi-independed of Devialet (except some knowledge of DAC performance) the second option would require Devialet to fully license MQA and implement it. Devialet has not made any statement about MQA (ignoring it?).
One problem would be any DSP like  for speakers (SAM), room or cross-over would influence time behavior and how that would be reflected in MQA decoding!
(20-Jan-2016, 20:51)Music or sound Wrote: I tried one 2L file (Britten: Simple Symphony, Op. 4) and listened to it via Mac/Audirvana+. The 24/96 version sounded much better than the MQA. So at least for that piece not decoded MQA had a similar sound quality to MP3. On CA there are several threads including this one (with measurements): http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/...-flac-674/
Apparently MQA files need some decoding to sound as good or better than redbook. MQA now stresses the end to end i.e. AD and then DA conversions must be maintained in MQA technology. The first version would be a conversion in a server/streamer with a MQA licensed/approved software (Roon?) including some compensation of the DAC performance or the second version is MQA decoding at the DAC level. I wonder if these 2 options are sonically similar. The first option would be possible through appropriate streamers or computer software semi-independed of Devialet (except some knowledge of DAC performance) the second option would require Devialet to fully license MQA and implement it. Devialet has not made any statement about MQA (ignoring it?).
One problem would be any DSP like  for speakers (SAM), room or cross-over would influence time behavior and how that would be reflected in MQA decoding!
You raise an interesting point about whether SAM would have an effect -- positive or deleterious -- on MQA files.  I always thought that SAM optimized the interaction between the amplifier and the speaker cabinet but did not affect timing cues.  But I am terribly non-technical so perhaps I have this all mashed up.  It's also interesting that you found the decoding aspect to be critical to the process.  MQA have said this will be the best way to listen to its files but also said that CD quality should be available without decoding.  I will try the 2L files but I suspect the real test (for me) will be when TIDAL has adopted encoded files and Bluesound (via firmware) has implemented the decoding (I listen to TIDAL via a Bluesound Node 2 tethered by coax to my Dev200).  Should be fun to see how it all works out!
(20-Jan-2016, 19:39)Flashman Wrote: I understand that MQA works best when decoded, but the good folks at MQA also say that MQA-encoded files will sound better than conventional files even when NOT decoded.

Flashman, can you point us to a reference from MQA about this?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<