Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumb5's system
(08-Feb-2017, 22:15)thumb5 Wrote: Well, I've given AIR over Ethernet a second chance and it's been behaving very well since I switched back to it at the week-end.  No configuration changes at all, but it feels much more solid now for some reason.  I wonder whether Roon was doing something in the background after I first installed it, and has now caught up with itself (no concrete evidence for that, just musing...).

Depending on the settings in Roon the scanning of your albums might take up a lot of power from the computer making it do strange things. In Roon library settings you can see the process of Roon scanning your albums and also set how it will do the scanning depending on how many cores the processor has.

For me AIR 3 has been working rock solid with Roon, but now I have some problems with the new Roon 1.3 build 196 that makes strange things when it wont update to build 200 hopefully Roon knows what is wrong.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I think you're both on the right track, baddog and octaviars: touch wood, I haven't had any sign of trouble from AIR (over Ethernet) since the first couple of days of using it with Roon.  Less surprisingly, USB has also been working fine.

It's the first opportunity I've had to compare the sound quality of the USB input against AIR.  Without being too obsessive about it, they both sound very good to me and I'd find it hard to differentiate between them.

From a practical point of view, I prefer the way the Roon volume control works with AIR.  On the other hand with USB, it seems that from Roon you can only turn the volume down from the level set by the Devialet volume control -- in fact I've ended up configuring USB as a fixed-volume zone in Roon.  I can understand why it works like that, but it slightly irritates me that it's not as flexible as AIR.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Four and a half years since I last posted here - what on earth have I been doing?

One significant change I should have mentioned in early 2019: I upgraded from a 440 Pro to a 1000 Pro.  Probably not news to anyone who's seen my signature in the intervening time.  Very happy with the upgrade, which was made possible by a member of this site wishing to go the other way.  Apart from any sound quailty differences, I do like the more substantial and sculptural casework of the 1000 Pro, and the remote is a complete joy to use.

The main reason for this post, though, is because I've just changed my phono cartridge.  Not something I was planning to do, but the original Wilson Benesch Ply on my Circle turntable sadly came to grief: the combination of a nude stylus with no guard and regular dusting in the area meant it was only a matter of time before the inevitable disaster befell - I'm surprised it lasted so long (many years!).  So the next question was what to replace it with.

To cut to the chase, after a bit of deliberation - and helpful advice from @cubbington, thanks! - I bought a Hana MH which on paper looked like a good match for the tonearm and has been very well reviewed.  (Breaking one of my rules, I didn't listen to it before shelling out.)  The MH has a healthy nominal output of 2 mV which means there's no worry at all about noise from the phono stage.  Having fitted it and done a quick/rough set-up, I must say it sounds astonishingly good - a big improvement over the Ply.  It sounds both more detailed and slightly sweeter in the treble, and has better balanced bass, if my aural memory is anything to be relied upon (probably not!).  Suffice to say, I'm very happy with it.

Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Nice one, Ian- looks fantastic.
And how GOOD is the 1000 Pro!? Simply sensational. I reckon it would be hard to beat at double the price Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.