Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Dialog
Sorry – but am I the only one who is deeply dissapointed? What do we need DIALOG for? I have bought a system (D200) that is already connected to the network. I have bought a system with a built-in streaming functionality, both wired and wireless. And now I need to buy another gear to connect that system (without a computer) to Spotify or a USB-harddisc?

I have been waiting for Devialet's firmware 7.2 to offer that feature – otherwise the whole concept of the streaming functionality does not make sense to me. So far I have attached an AppleTV to a Toslink port of my D200, so I can stream WIMP and Spotify from my iPad. I wanted to get rid of that one.

Hmmm. I am getting more and more doubtful about that Davialet thing. Have not sold my Accuphase yet, still time to rethink my whole concept...

Regards, Tom
DIALOG plus SPARK looks like a big step forward to me. At very low cost Devialet are adding (what will hopefully be) full streaming capability to their whole range. This means that we will be able to stream from any digital source - NAS, on-line music service, TV (5.1) etc.

If the sound quality is good - which knowing Devialet it will be - then what's the problem? They're providing the same functionality for €299 that other manufacturers are charging 3x, 4x, even 10x as much for.

Yes, it seems that this will be USB-only initially. My guess is that they will soon announce an upgrade to the wireless card in the amps to make them fully compatible with the DIALOG.

According to Devialet support, it will be possible to order Phantoms and DIALOGs on-line shortly with shipping starting in mid-January.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Dec-2014, 11:11)Tom_Berlin Wrote: Sorry – but am I the only one who is deeply dissapointed? What do we need DIALOG for? I have bought a system (D200) that is already connected to the network. I have bought a system with a built-in streaming functionality, both wired and wireless. And now I need to buy another gear to connect that system (without a computer) to Spotify or a USB-harddisc?

I have been waiting for Devialet's firmware 7.2 to offer that feature – otherwise the whole concept of the streaming functionality does not make sense to me. So far I have attached an AppleTV to a Toslink port of my D200, so I can stream WIMP and Spotify from my iPad. I wanted to get rid of that one.

Hmmm. I am getting more and more doubtful about that Davialet thing. Have not sold my Accuphase yet, still time to rethink my whole concept...

I am not dissapointed. I am very happy with sound and all firmware upgrades. 7.2 will be available in future (maybe may 2015 or maybe earlier).

I don't need any Dialog to listen my music. Sound from CD player is great, sound from my computer and USB cable is nice, sound via AIR is wonderful.

Sell 200 for good price and I will buy it with pleasure.

BTW
Here is link with video abouth Phantom and Dialog...around 4:26 we can see DIALOG ports.
http://www.01net.com/editorial/637377/de...o-du-jour/
@ moreno:

I am not dissapointed with the sound quality. And I am still convinced, that the package is worth the money.

But I do have certain expectations to a full service streaming system. And one of it is... erm... streaming. And this includes the whole range of streaming offers. It is just a question of the software. The hardware is there.

So why must I add another box to the system? I have bought the wall mount with my Devialet and wanted to have a clean, pretty installation, getting away from the rack full of hardware.

I don't care if DIALOG is worth the money or not (I have no doubt, it will be) – I don't want another extra box for something, that my D200 could do.

Regards, Tom

P.S. Let me know, what you consider a good price... :-)
Even though I only use a directly connected CD Transport I tend to agree with Tom Berlin i.e. all the building blocks that the Dialog appears to offer are in the 'Expert' line so some sort of parallel roadmap, one for the 'basic' amps and one for the Phantom line shouldn't be too much to ask?
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
OK, I see what you mean Tom. I also agree it would be better if full streaming functionality could be added inside the amps. Given how good Devialet seem to be at miniaturising things I guess this could be done through a streaming card upgrade at not too high a cost.

Then maybe the new SPARK app could work directly with the amps.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(17-Dec-2014, 12:21)Tom_Berlin Wrote: I don't care if DIALOG is worth the money or not (I have no doubt, it will be) – I don't want another extra box for something, that my D200 could do.
Dialog sounds great, but I also expect my D200 to support SPARK in the future. It has to, right?
(17-Dec-2014, 12:29)PhilP Wrote: OK, I see what you mean Tom. I also agree it would be better if full streaming functionality could be added inside the amps. Given how good Devialet seem to be at miniaturising things I guess this could be done through a streaming card upgrade at not too high a cost.

Phil, it is not about hardware. It is all about software. Everything needed is already there – it would just take some programming and some licensing cost (e.g. to support AirPlay) for Devialet to add the functionality. And, however, I would even be willing to pay a few bucks for that... although from my understanding of Devialet's basic concept, it should be there by now.
(17-Dec-2014, 11:11)Tom_Berlin Wrote: Sorry – but am I the only one who is deeply dissapointed? What do we need DIALOG for? I have bought a system (D200) that is already connected to the network. I have bought a system with a built-in streaming functionality, both wired and wireless. And now I need to buy another gear to connect that system (without a computer) to Spotify or a USB-harddisc?

Regards, Tom

Tom, I guess what you are saying makes perfect sense. But Dialog makes me hopeful in way. I wanna believe that Devialet developed Dialog to work with Phantom which doesn't have the streaming capability of D. But I take it as a sign that now Devialet is more open to integrating streaming services and enabling UPnP. So i wouldn't be surprised that firmware 7.2 brings the Dialog functionality to the already hardware ready D series.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(17-Dec-2014, 12:34)Tom_Berlin Wrote:
(17-Dec-2014, 12:29)PhilP Wrote: OK, I see what you mean Tom. I also agree it would be better if full streaming functionality could be added inside the amps. Given how good Devialet seem to be at miniaturising things I guess this could be done through a streaming card upgrade at not too high a cost.

Phil, it is not about hardware. It is all about software. Everything needed is already there – it would just take some programming and some licensing cost (e.g. to support AirPlay) for Devialet to add the functionality. And, however, I would even be willing to pay a few bucks for that... although from my understanding of Devialet's basic concept, it should be there by now.

Well I hope that you're right Smile

My thinking was that Devialet will want to upgrade the wireless capability to (EDIT: allow it to connect to the proprietary Phantom mesh) and that would require a hardware upgrade. They could take the opportunity to add/improve streaming capability at the same time.