Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Dialog
[/quote]

Tom, I guess what you are saying makes perfect sense. But Dialog makes me hopeful in way. I wanna believe that Devialet developed Dialog to work with Phantom which doesn't have the streaming capability of D. But I take it as a sign that now Devialet is more open to integrating streaming services and enabling UPnP. So i wouldn't be surprised that firmware 7.2 brings the Dialog functionality to the already hardware ready D series.
[/quote]

Yes. That is why I have always thought, it would be best to not make a decision on my D200 before 7.2 is out... and yesterday, when I saw the mail, for a moment I had hopes that would be the day... :-)

Is there any development roadmap out there? Or are we all just victims of Devialet's marketing department?
The Devialets were never marketed as a stand-alone streamer. Streaming music was always dependent on a different source, at first only with AIR and iTunes to Wifi, and later with AIR and other apps to Wifi or Ethernet, or a source straight to USB.

I don't know if the D120/200/250/400/800 has the processing power and memory to implement an in-box streaming/UPnP functionality. If it does and Devialet rewrites AIR for this purpose we are just very lucky. If not, you can choose to buy a DIALOG of use any other source.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(17-Dec-2014, 13:27)Eddye Wrote: The Devialets were never marketed as a stand-alone streamer. Streaming music was always dependent on a different source, at first only with AIR and iTunes to Wifi, and later with AIR and other apps to Wifi or Ethernet, or a source straight to USB.

I don't know if the D120/200/250/400/800 has the processing power and memory to implement an in-box streaming/UPnP functionality. If it does and Devialet rewrites AIR for this purpose we are just very lucky. If not, you can choose to buy a DIALOG of use any other source.

AIR already streams all music content from your iPhone or Android Smartphone – as long as it is stored on the device. Why not Spotify? (A Sonos or Tefel Raumfeld can...)

You doubt the processing power of the D-series to do UPnP? Come on...

They marketed the Device as "made for streaming". Well, then they should go all the way.

However, Eddye, if you are happy and wishless – good for you.

Regards, Tom
(17-Dec-2014, 13:39)Tom_Berlin Wrote: AIR already streams all music content from your iPhone or Android Smartphone – as long as it is stored on the device. Why not Spotify? (A Sonos or Tefel Raumfeld can...)
Don't know, why don't you ask Devialet Support, I'm sure they can give you an answer.

Quote:You doubt the processing power of the D-series to do UPnP? Come on...
Yes, since I don't know a thing about what kind of processing power it has and what is needed for UPnP. Besides, processing power isn't all you need.

Quote:They marketed the Device as "made for streaming". Well, then they should go all the way.
Do you have a link to that? I'd really like to see that, because my dealer was very carefull in explaining I'd need another device to stream audio.

Quote:However, Eddye, if you are happy and wishless – good for you.
Thanks, I am quite happy. besides, Buddha tells us wanting is the cause of all suffering, so I try not to wish for things. Big Grin

Quote:Regards, Tom

I think your dealer didn't fully explain what a Devialet amp can and cannot do. At this moment it simply isn't a streamer, and if your dealer told you it is, you should take that up with him. Perhaps Devialet can and will rewrite the OS and the AIR app to support UPnP and that would be great, simply because lots of people seem to want it. But if Devialet doesn't there are other options to stream.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Here is a screenshot taken from the video showing the Dialog device with its connections:

[Image: 20141217121918_P1000652.JPG]
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
I strikes me that any cheap but sensibly made streemer would sound excellent if it utilised AIR eathernet, I mean anything! My cheap miulti purpose PC with WASAPI is superb, much better than a very expesive CD player. Have Devialet missed a trick here? Or is AIR compatibility coming? It must already more of less have it if it can stream wirelessly to the Phantom thing? Of am I missing the point? Frustrating for me, as I've been thinking for a while that any user friendly front end that could actually use AIR Ethernet would sould excellent without needing to cost £thousands?
Maybe the Dialog uses AIR, although I haven't seen it mentioned as such in the publicity. Or perhaps it uses a protocol that supersedes AIR; that might be necessary to support synchronised playback of a single stream on multiple Phantoms (à la Sonos). In the latter case maybe we can hope that a firmware upgrade to the existing Devialets would support this new wireless streaming protocol. If one could stream to an existing amplifier in a high-end set-up synchronised with one or more Phantoms for less critical listening, that would be pretty compelling (at least, it would for me). So, fingers crossed.

Probably less likely: Devialet could licence the AIR protocol, or a possible successor, to other streamer manufacturers.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Dec-2014, 23:10)Confused Wrote: I strikes me that any cheap but sensibly made streemer would sound excellent if it utilised AIR eathernet, I mean anything! My cheap miulti purpose PC with WASAPI is superb, much better than a very expesive CD player. Have Devialet missed a trick here? Or is AIR compatibility coming? It must already more of less have it if it can stream wirelessly to the Phantom thing? Of am I missing the point? Frustrating for me, as I've been thinking for a while that any user friendly front end that could actually use AIR Ethernet would sould excellent without needing to cost £thousands?

If the Dialog unit is Linux based (which I hope it is) I'd guess they start with USB because is is easy. ALSA support for XMOS is known to be very good. Porting AIR code to Linux, or maybe going back to the original where AIR was in fact a file player, is a rather big task. If this is what Devialet is hinting at in their presentation I'll be happy.
Now we really need a convolution engine inside the amps/Phantoms so all the sources Dialog promises can be run through the same room correction
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@ogs. I think you understand the detail of this much more than me!' Are you suggesting that AIR Ethernet is much harder to implement than USB?
(18-Dec-2014, 00:17)Confused Wrote: @ogs. I think you understand the detail of this much more than me!' Are you suggesting that AIR Ethernet is much harder to implement than USB?

Yes, USB audio support is, in general, present in all Linux distros and is easy to use. Porting AIR to Linux is lots of work. It may be quite similar to OS X code as OS X is also based on *nix, but there is still a lot of work involved.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB