Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II - any other users?
Question 
Hi - I've been running Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II floor standers on the end of my Naim olive-series kit for some years and have been generally happy with their performance, including decent amounts of bass. Won't describe them since there is plenty of review info still online.

I'm hoping to upgrade (sidegrade?) to a 120 or 200 in the New Year when I've actually heard one, which requires a trip to the UK I fear. Dodgy

Can't see my Dyns being SAMed since they're no longer available, but just wondered if anyone else had tried them on the end of a D-anything.

Or shall I camp out at the D-offices in Paris with my Dyns until they take pity on me and SAM them? Big Grin

Would actually like to hear them versus their favoured Atohm GT1 Ensemble but can't see that happening. Sad

Comments?
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

(18-Dec-2014, 21:31)GRC Wrote: Hi - I've been running Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II floor standers on the end of my Naim olive-series kit for some years and have been generally happy with their performance, including decent amounts of bass. Won't describe them since there is plenty of review info still online.

I'm hoping to upgrade (sidegrade?) to a 120 or 200 in the New Year when I've actually heard one, which requires a trip to the UK I fear. Dodgy

Can't see my Dyns being SAMed since they're no longer available, but just wondered if anyone else had tried them on the end of a D-anything.

Or shall I camp out at the D-offices in Paris with my Dyns until they take pity on me and SAM them? Big Grin

Would actually like to hear them versus their favoured Atohm GT1 Ensemble but can't see that happening. Sad

Comments?

Hi GRC,

i had the pleasure of auditioning many of Dynaudio models including the newer Contour S3.4 and S1.4 with Krell amps and Bel Canto Transport and DAC and they were fabulous to say the least.

I wouldn't be surprised that they inherit many genes from the DNA of your 1.8 MkII and accordingly i can imagine how sweet your speakers sound.

Now have i tried your Dynaudio with Devialet?, no. But i see no reason why they won't benefit from the brilliant innovation of ADH amplification, the lowest THD and S/N ratio, the shortest signal path and the excellent DAC implementation plus an ever evolving EVO platform! (oh boy I am biased Smile )

For SAM.. while it is a plus, it should not be a deal breaker nor should it stop you from experience what a Devialet can offer. Plus, SAM has a bigger impact on bookshelf and monitor speakers where they don't have (relatively speaking) enough bass. additionally some members here reported that they liked it more with SAM off, however, in all honesty i tend to believe that majority like what SAM offers.

And yes you can try directly with Devialet to get your speakers SAMed, some members here tried with what was supposed to be never-gonna-be-SAMed-in-100-years and it worked Smile so you can give it a shot.

in all cases keep us posted how things evolve with you.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hi Froggy,

My C1's are 86dB sensitive as well and I wouldn't suggest going for a 120 as it would just be underpowered. So go 200 or 400 if you want to and you won't regret it.

If you like the Dynaudio sound you probably owe it to yourself to check out the new Focus XD powered speakers. I know that means no Devialet amp but it does mean your amp will be optimised for your speakers. And your looking at the same price range.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The smaller the Dynaudio's get the more power hungrier they are. My Dynaudio Sapphires are 89 dB sensitive.

Pim's suggestion is not a bad one. I heard the Focus XD 400 connected with an Auralic Aries streamer bridge. In the active speakers Dynaudio has it own 'SAM', meaning they are correcting in the digital domain for phase behavior and sound reproduction etc. Plenty of power (2 x 450 Watts) and lows that go down till 22 Hertz. It didn't sound bad at all.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL