Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duet Display for Mac Mini Users
Hi All,

For the Mac Mini users out there who use it as one of the sources to their Devialet and enjoy how neat it actually looks and don't want to have a display attached to their Hifi setup i would like to introduce to you "Duet Display" now available on the Appstore. it basically turns any of your iDevices into an extended or mirror display for your mac. the trick here is it operates wired using the usb cable and accordingly it is very reliable and with zero lag time. Obviously this will be on the expense of convenience where you won't be able to operate your Mac Mini from your listening position i suppose.

If you don't mind a bit of lag and some drop out and convenient operation is your number one priority then you can consider "Air Display 2"

cheers!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
As an alternative I wanted to share that I use JumpDesktop and very very happy with it and highly recommend to check it.

I'm using it from iPad and iPhone to connect remotely to my MacMini and iMac , even to my VPN PC at work.

https://jumpdesktop.com
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Thanks for sharing Stigmater. Looks powerful.

Wanted to ask you, do you notice or experience any lag or dropouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
I use jump as well...a little lag sometimes but never any dropouts

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(25-Dec-2014, 08:24)adhesiv Wrote: I use jump as well...a little lag sometimes but never any dropouts

Can jump 100% mimic the display on an iPad, as it would appear on a desktop PC?

My issue is that I get a bit annoyed with iPad remote apps for JRiver and iTunes, because they don't allow you to do full files listings etc.
Yep...its a full VNC and RDP client

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(25-Dec-2014, 09:40)adhesiv Wrote: Yep...its a full VNC and RDP client

Excellent! Although to be honest, I have no idea what a "full VNC and RDP client" is! I'll just go with the "yep" bit. Thanks!
(25-Dec-2014, 10:21)Confused Wrote:
(25-Dec-2014, 09:40)adhesiv Wrote: Yep...its a full VNC and RDP client

Excellent! Although to be honest, I have no idea what a "full VNC and RDP client" is! I'll just go with the "yep" bit. Thanks!

Yep is good enough, but here is more Wink

RDP stands for Remote Desktop Protocol, and is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft. (More on Wikipedia)

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing, and is platform-independent. (More from Wikipedia)

RDP is semantic. The RDP is aware of controls, fonts, and other similar graphical primitives. This means that when rendering a screen across a network, this information is used to compress the data stream significantly. For instance, if you know that this region of the screen if occupied by a button, with the color grey, then you don't need to send an image of the button across the network, but merely information such as location of this button, size and color.

VNC is "dumb" in this respect, and largely functions by sending the actual images across the network.

RDP is tightly coupled to the Windows platform, where as VNC is available for most platforms. RDP is also seen as far more performant then VNC, due to the semantic advantage.

Dubai, UAE
Well, you clearly know your stuff Mr amabrok! Thanks for the information, it is appreciated!