Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Phantom replace Speaker/Dac/Amp with CD as source?
First post from a newbie.....Smile

I've read about the Phantom at some length but still a bit confused. I realize this is like a highly upgraded Sonos type system. No insult intended by that comparison - simply mentioning a concept.

However, given their very extravagant claims, wondering how the Phantom works:

1. If I have a CD player, can I plug the CD player output into one of the speakers via digital RCA or optical and play it like a stereo pair?

2. I realize that part of the allure is its wireless system for an entire house. However, is this system also positioned so that it claims to be a replacement for a traditional 2 channel music stereo system? This thing seem to be a dac/amp/speaker all rolled up in one, with claimed 16hz-25khz. Wow. (Hoping it is not just hype, but hard to believe nonetheless.)

I never went the Sonos route because the audio quality (speakers) just wasn't good enough. But the Phantom makes some heady claims.

Thanks!
MtnGuy
1. Yes. See it as a master/slave setup.

2. One speaker is still mono to me, so two for stereo. That simple.
Devialet 200 | Marten Django L | Modified Philips CD940 | Technics SL1210 Mk2
The Phantom offers one optical S/PDIF entrance. So with two Phantoms you will have two entrances I guess. I assume you can choose the entrance with the Spark app or with the Phantom Remote.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Dialog will wirelessly connect, sync and orchestrate all phantom units (up to 24 units) within its range. Also music can be streamed to Dialog wirelessl and controlled via Spark.

My question is does Dialog has digital input(s) to accept input from sources like CD players or mod computers and then stream it to Phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I am wondering about the specs of this optical input. The D-premier was officially 192/24 but the next generation only 96/24. Obviously that would not be a restriction for a CD player or an optical out from a Mac but there other sources that allow 192/24 like A&K DAPs.
Officially, the S/PDIF optical specifications are 24/96 max.
Not sure how Devialet manages to get 24/192 through optical connections.
(25-Dec-2014, 19:45)weust Wrote: Officially, the S/PDIF optical specifications are 24/96 max.
Not sure how Devialet manages to get 24/192 through optical connections.

There are different quality optical receivers available.
The D-Premier had receivers fitted which worked at 24/192, my updated unit did not. Devialet kindly fitted one of the higher speed optical inputs to the second of my units when they updated it so I still had the same capability on my 800 as I had enjoyed with my D-Premiers.
I am not using a particularly special optical interconnect though since it is one of those with an optical cable inserted into a faux 1/8" jack for use with a Mac or, in my case A&K portable.

By the way, I would imagine the official S/PDIF optical spec is 24/96 minimum, not max (otherwise,for example, 14/32 would comply but be mostly un-useable).Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Looked it up, and the max sample rate isn't mentioned anymore.
Only the bitrate, which is 20 official, and 24 more or less unofficial I believe.

Seems you're right that there are transceivers capable of 192kHz sample rate for optical S/PDIF connections.
I knew there were transceivers available for 192kHz, but thought they were unofficial.