Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review on techcrunch.com + info about Devialet sales
(27-Dec-2014, 02:02)Music or sound Wrote: I was under the impression that 10000 units is the total number of Ds sold starting with the first D-Premiers?

Well it could be. The expansion has been huge, maybe 300% a year. So maybe they sold 250 in the year ending in 2011, 750 (2012), 2,250 (2013), 6,750 (2014) [total 10,000] with an expectation of 18,750 (2015) and a current quarterly run rate of 10,000pa?

But that expansion cannot go on forever. Hence the Phantom. Given the hard drive based domination of the market by Apple (65% of the hard drive based music market) an essential feature of any new component must surely be an easy interface with such products, ideally in a low competition area.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
The marketing strategy changed totally following the big independent investment. It isn't new with the Phantom. The web site went from a workmanlike technical site to a difficult to navigate mess with less useful information and lots of risible marketing puff.

Many of the audiophiles I know like to take the mickey out of the products by quoting the ludicrous claims in the web site. Devialet has, IMHO, lost credibility with a lot of enthusiasts by this approach. I would imagine it puts potential customers off.
I would probably not have sought to audition a D-Premier if the first contact had been the current Devialet web site, whereas the original really piqued my interest.

They assume all their customers are completely non-technical, it seems to me. Maybe most are.

FWIW when I worked for Garrard the manufacturing cost of the turntable was about 10% of the retail price (yes a 401 cost about £7.50 to make at the time). The rest of the costs were R&D and tooling then there was the standard Garrard 10% markup and 30% for the retailer.
It always struck me as "unfair" that Garrard had the knowledge, many employees and took the biggest risk but had a smaller margin. Such is life.

In the case of the D-Premier > 250 update I would be surprised if the added hardware cost was much above £100. The bulk of what we paid will be in claw back of R&D and tooling cost.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Fair point Frank, I'm actually finding Devialet's advertising a little embarrassing after recommending to friends and work mates. I'm mindfull of Chord cables run in with the ASA, I'll be interested to see what the Phantom's print adverts lok like. I note Devialet have added "obj" next to some of the more outrageous claims on their website. Does this stand for objective rather than result? My objective is to be the worlds greatest lover (beating Pim) and make two million on the stock market, an objective yes, but not achieved!
Much as the Devialet advertising is wide of the mark, if you want to see something much worse read the HiFi Wigwam owners club thread about the Phantom.*

Full of bile, jealousy, nastiness - from many of the usual suspects - by at least half the posters, none of whom have heard it or even seen it.

That used to be a great place for the original UK Devialet forum and for much more too - now I suspect I have made my last posting there and might visit it once a quarter to see if it returns to sensible debate. Which is unlikely.

* Not quite sure how you can have an owners club thread when there are, as yet, no owners.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England