Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Aurender models; X100 vs N100 vs N10 vs S10 ?
(28-Jul-2015, 08:39)completeluxury Wrote: seems like a lot of parts in a chain for that 100k+ system to completely disregard the aurender!

I agree! Any "valid" conclusions about comparing two streamers can of course only be made if these were compared in the exact same system.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(28-Jul-2015, 10:46)Antoine Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 08:39)completeluxury Wrote: seems like a lot of parts in a chain for that 100k+ system to completely disregard the aurender!

I agree! Any "valid" conclusions about comparing two streamers can of course only be made if these were compared in the exact same system.

That's the most exhaustive approach.

However, given the $8K price tag of the N10 and the $3K for the Bryston BDP-2 with the new sound card that is optimized for AES/EBU streaming
and so works great with the optimized AES/EBU input of the D200 master,
and the extreme level of details that I am getting with the BDP-2 in my system, I just do not feel the need to waste time
to audition the N10 in my system.

This is after auditioning the N10 in a $100K+ system at an audiodealer.

The BDP-2 with the new soundcard is really an overachiever. Anyone who is in the market for the N10 should also try the BDP-2 with the new sound card.
Plus, the BDP-2 is just $300 more than the N100 with a built-in harddrive, which is only a USB streamer, while the BDP-2 makes no compromises and has a complete set of outputs, with its AES/EBU and BNC outputs being highly optimized.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(28-Jul-2015, 10:17)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 10:14)miro Wrote: I use the mPaD app for iPad (costs $2.99 or $3.99) to control the BDP-2.
This app is very robust, and I have had no issues with it, once I learnt how to use it.

There is also the mPoD app for iPod, which is developed by the same company that has made mPaD.

I use these same apps with my totaldac d1 server and I have to say I really like them. 

Guillaume

Guillaume, I am happy that you finally have been able to configure your TotalDAC Server.

Can you tell me if now you have tried to stream QOBUZ or TIDAL from your Totaldac server ? Is the TIDAL/QOBUZ interface convenient with the iPAD app that you mention ? (I have been so impress by the convenience and fluidity of the AURENDER dedicated app that I am reluctant to use those other apps mentioned...but it seems that the TotalDAC Server will provide a better sound quality than the AURENDER ! SO, do I need to choose between APP Usability or SQ Quality ??:-(
taking a look at both, the aurender seems to have a lot more thought put into the entire design like using lifepo4 batteries in the system and an internal battery UPS to protect the unit.

it can also play files up to dsd 128 while the bryston says its rated at 192/24 max.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
@miro, You already own the Bryston and seem to be happy with it which is fine. But I'm sure anyone spending these amounts of money, especially those in a 'green field situation', will do a (home) audition/comparison first.

BTW, $8k for a piece of non-upgradeable hardware using technologies from a field that's changing as fast as it does...a bit "reckless" if you ask me! I just checked the N10 specs (and some other models) and I can see Aurender is jumping on all the same 'new' bandwagons as everyone else; battery/linear power, FPGA, OCXO clocks, DSD, low noise USB. I'm quite sure this list will grow and make their appearance in newer Aurender models.

I also wouldn't be surprised when we're going to be seeing new technologies popping up in both DAC's and streamers soon. Technologies like those that replace USB and/or uPnP/DLNA/OH solutions with ethernet based solutions like Ravenna/AES67 (or similar). See http://nadac.merging.com/nadac for an example. We've just seen it happen with DSD! I think I'll just stay with my computer based music server for now for maximum flexibility. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(28-Jul-2015, 12:23)completeluxury Wrote: taking a look at both, the aurender seems to have a lot more thought put into the entire design like using lifepo4 batteries in the system and an internal battery UPS to protect the unit.

it can also play files up to dsd 128 while the bryston says its rated at 192/24 max.

The Bryston BDP-2 can definitely play DSD128 +  352 KHz and 384 kHz at 24 bits (although this is not yet on their web page).
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(28-Jul-2015, 12:21)bmichels Wrote: Guillaume, I am happy that you finally have been able to configure your TotalDAC Server.

Can you tell me if now you have tried to stream QOBUZ or TIDAL from your Totaldac server ? Is the TIDAL/QOBUZ interface convenient with the iPAD app that you mention ? (I have been so impress by the convenience and fluidity of the AURENDER dedicated app that I am reluctant to use those other apps mentioned...but it seems that the TotalDAC Server will provide a better sound quality than the AURENDER ! SO, do I need to choose between APP Usability or SQ Quality ??:-(

Hi - yes I can stream Qobuz and Tidal from my d1 server. For this I use the iPeng 8 app and not MPD. Works fine although SQ of Qobuz is noticeably better than Tidal although I haven't checked this lately...

MPD is a joy to use, very stable and straightforward although possibly a bit basic in terms of features compared to the Aurender. 

Re Aurender v totaldac SQ I can't really answer your question since I haven't compared in my own setup. Which Aurender model are you comparing it to?

My d1 server is now sitting in a box waiting for Fedex collection. It is being sent back to France for a free upgrade.  Cool One of the advantages of totaldac is the very personal service you receive as a customer.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

for instance ive heard kef blades at a showroom near me before and they were absolutely horrendous but im sure its just the lack of attention to setting them up properly that was the problem!

I was about to start a huge ruck with completeluxury for even suggesting that the Blades could sound horrendous!  The thing is though, I remember hearing them at a show once, with about £70k's worth of Moon front end, and to be honest, they didn't even sound good enough to justify further investigation or audition.  It's lucky I had already bought mine, which at home sound splendid.  With the sonic differences between different streamers being relatively small, I think this clearly shows that a back to back test on a familiar system with identical music is essential if trying to select a preferred item for purchase.
My rule of thumb is: Always listen at home before determining which component is best. It isn't foolproof but it has worked well for me for 40 years. Big Grin
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
For me, important criterion now is who will be the first to integrate with Roon.
I have heard Aurender is working on it.

Sadly Devialet, Bryston, Moon, Weiss will be probably way behind..

I also do want to have a digital AES out (somehow do not feel comfortable with USB only output)..