Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aries to Devialet Input SQ Questions
Hi guys.. I've been doing some comparisons between the different output options of my Aries with my 200.. I've been comparing a Shunyata Ztron Python AES/EBU vs an Audioquest Diamond USB.. So what I'm hearing is that the AES/EBU is a bit more dynamic, it seems to have a bit more jump and snap..The Diamond is a bit more laid back, it seems a little softer, has a bit less pop and dynamics but it's also a tiny bit more airy and spacious. The AES although more dynamic is also a bit more .. forced.. seems a little less relaxed.

I'm wondering what others have found? has anyone done any similar comparisons? 

I can also try different AES/EBU or USB cables but I'm more curious if there's an inherent difference in SQ that others using an Aries with a Devialet may have noticed between the different inputs..

Thanks!
(22-Jan-2015, 05:39)ErikM Wrote: Hi guys.. I've been doing some comparisons between the different output options of my Aries with my 200.. I've been comparing a Shunyata Ztron Python AES/EBU vs an Audioquest Diamond USB.. So what I'm hearing is that the AES/EBU is a bit more dynamic, it seems to have a bit more jump and snap..The Diamond is a bit more laid back, it seems a little softer, has a bit less pop and dynamics but it's also a tiny bit more airy and spacious. The AES although more dynamic is also a bit more .. forced.. seems a little less relaxed.

I can also try different AES/EBU or USB cables but I'm more curious if there's an inherent difference in SQ that others using an Aries with a Devialet may have noticed between the different inputs..

Thanks!

Have you burnt each of these two configurations for at least 200 hours?

If not, then things can still change.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(24-Jan-2015, 02:40)miro Wrote:
(22-Jan-2015, 05:39)ErikM Wrote: Hi guys.. I've been doing some comparisons between the different output options of my Aries with my 200.. I've been comparing a Shunyata Ztron Python AES/EBU vs an Audioquest Diamond USB.. So what I'm hearing is that the AES/EBU is a bit more dynamic, it seems to have a bit more jump and snap..The Diamond is a bit more laid back, it seems a little softer, has a bit less pop and dynamics but it's also a tiny bit more airy and spacious. The AES although more dynamic is also a bit more .. forced.. seems a little less relaxed.

Thanks!

Yes the USB has at least 600 hours, probably more. On the AES/EBU the cable was well broken in ( borrowed from the Cable Co.) and I let it play pretty much 24/7 for a good four weeks..
(31-Jan-2015, 17:35)ErikM Wrote:

Thanks!

Yes the USB has at least 600 hours, probably more. On the AES/EBU the cable was well broken in ( borrowed from the Cable Co.) and I let it play pretty much 24/7 for a good four weeks..

So, do you have any new observations about the sound quality from the above two cables and connection methods?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(31-Jan-2015, 19:25)miro Wrote:
(31-Jan-2015, 17:35)ErikM Wrote:

Thanks!

So, do you have any new observations about the sound quality from the above two cables and connection methods?

I do.. I decided to try a different USB cable.. Wireworld Platium Series 7 and it out performed the Audioquest Diamond.. I think I'd like to also try a really good coax Spdif cable, and maybe a few other USB and AES cables.. 

Does anyone here have any opinions on which digital input sounds the best.. I understand that Devialet like the AES/EBU  But I think it may all come down to, in no particular order:

1. Personal Preference 
2. Source 
3. Cable Used
4. Overal System Synergy
(25-Feb-2015, 19:43)ErikM Wrote: I do.. I decided to try a different USB cable.. Wireworld Platium Series 7 and it out performed the Audioquest Diamond.. I think I'd like to also try a really good coax Spdif cable, and maybe a few other USB and AES cables.. 

Does anyone here have any opinions on which digital input sounds the best.. I understand that Devialet like the AES/EBU  But I think it may all come down to, in no particular order:

1. Personal Preference 
2. Source 
3. Cable Used
4. Overal System Synergy

ErikM, thanks for this. Very interesting and helpful.

Devialet said that AES/EBU was the best input to use, but remember *this was when D-Premier was top of the line* and before AIR. When AIR became available this was Devialets preferred input. With the new hardware USB and wired ethernet was also introduced.
You should try AIR to get an impression of how this sounds - even if you can only play one song before the white noise gets you Smile
I theory at least one of the asynchronous inputs will be better i.e. USB or AIR. With USB the Devialet amp controls playback, which is a good thing. This should also be true with AIR. In real life, however, one of the other inputs may sound better. As with Guillaume and his Totaldac d1 server connected to AES/EBU.

I think Antipodes Audio has very good reasoning on this. Look at their site here: http://www.antipodesaudio.com/antipodes_...tures.html and in particular this: "Why Do You Focus On USB? Why Not SPDIF or AES/EBU? Or Ethernet?"
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Feb-2015, 20:36)ogs Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 19:43)ErikM Wrote: I do.. I decided to try a different USB cable.. Wireworld Platium Series 7 and it out performed the Audioquest Diamond.. I think I'd like to also try a really good coax Spdif cable, and maybe a few other USB and AES cables.. 

1. Personal Preference 
2. Source 
3. Cable Used
4. Overal System Synergy

ErikM, thanks for this. Very interesting and helpful.

Devialet said that AES/EBU was the best input to use, but remember *this was when D-Premier was top of the line* and before AIR. When AIR became available this was Devialets preferred input. With the new hardware USB and wired ethernet was also introduced.
You should try AIR to get an impression of how this sounds - even if you can only play one song before the white noise gets you Smile
I theory at least one of the asynchronous inputs will be better i.e. USB or AIR. With USB the Devialet amp controls playback, which is a good thing. This should also be true with AIR. In real life, however, one of the other inputs may sound better. As with Guillaume and his Totaldac d1 server connected to AES/EBU.

I think Antipodes Audio has very good reasoning on this. Look at their site here: http://www.antipodesaudio.com/antipodes_...tures.html and in particular this: "Why Do You Focus On USB? Why Not SPDIF or AES/EBU? Or Ethernet?"

Great post ogs! I particularly like the Antipodes Audio page you referenced there.

I will add one thing however which is that Devialet (or Thierry specifically!) told me late September 2013 that the AES/EBU input was the best wired input, qualitatively speaking. I was told that this was because you are inputing on a transformer which allows greater cable length among other things. Furthermore some streamers such as the MiND 180 and now my totaldac d1 are optimised for a AES/EBU output. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I am currently using the Chord Epic digital coax as a digital link for my D400 and also using the same cable going from Aries Mini to D400. Having compared it to the AudioQuest Diamond coax, I prefer the Chord Epic. The Epic provides a very detailed presentation, if your speakers can through out lots of detail then this cable won't disappoint.
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).