Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden differences between D120 and D200?
(23-Jan-2015, 23:06)audiophile911 Wrote:
(23-Jan-2015, 20:21)Dr Tone Wrote:
(23-Jan-2015, 13:18)stuartwoodrandom Wrote: Actually, just been playing with the Configurator and there's a bug... When you access the Advanced Configurator and select a D120 (without the preamplified output), it allows you set the SAM On/Off option for your remote, but adding the preamplified output option breaks this and doesn't let you select it as an option.

Probably best tell Devialet there's a bug with their configurator.

Doesn't preamp out just turn off SAM anyway?  Or is it enabling the cross over that does?

From what I can tell, if you enable SAM it disables the crossover at the speaker level.  I guess this makes sense?  The crossover for the pre-outs is still available.

I believe there is a bug in the confirgurator:  when I enable the pre-out for the D120 I no longer see the option for a SAM on/off button.  When I changed back to a standard D120 I had the option for a SAM button again.  This does not make sense.
I too think this is a bug.  When I last used the Configurator I was changing the dual mono link from using the companion SPDIF input to AES/EBU.  I could not get this to work.  After much messing about, I did finally get this to work, but only by enabling the companion pre out.  Daft, but it worked, and to be clear, I do not need to use the pre out.  Anyway, I have my pre out enabled for no sensible reason, and yes, the SAM on off and SAM % etc. all work as they should.  I suggest you report this to Devialet.  I have been advised by Devialet that they are aware of bugs in the Configurator and they are working on a fix.  OK, this is fair enough.  However, this has been going on for months and months.  Frankly, it is embarrasing.  I was reading the article the other day when Mr Carmel was saying that Steve Jobs would never have signed off the iPhone 6 with its 1mm raised camera.  Tut tut Apple.  Well my iPhone 6 works exactly as advertised.  My 20k Devialet amp does not.  Perhaps when you report this bug to Devialet, you should ask when they are going to sort this out.
Could someone clarify the differences except from those on this page http://en.devialet.com/which-devialet-for-me/
For example I read they use different DAC-s, but became even more confused when I read the difference in digital output for both http://www.ti.com/product/pcm4222

Also, as the devices are programmable, could it be possible to change Phono input into Analog input?
(05-Feb-2015, 01:59)mirekti Wrote: Could someone clarify the differences except from those on this page http://en.devialet.com/which-devialet-for-me/
For example I read they use different DAC-s, but became even more confused when I read the difference in digital output for both http://www.ti.com/product/pcm4222

Also, as the devices are programmable, could it be possible to change Phono input into Analog input?

The 120 and 200 both have the same DAC chip - a TI PCM1792

The chips your link points to are Analogue to Digital converters.  The one in the 200 (PCM4220) has two inputs - supporting separate line and phono stages - and a wider operating temperature range and costs twice as much as the one in the 120 (PCM4202) which only supports one input. 

You can configure the analogue input in the 120 to be a phono input or line-level input.

One of the analogue inputs on the 200 can be configured to be phono or line level, the other can be phono or line level or S/PDIF...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks for this.
...I checked the prices of ADC, and one costs $10, the other $18. I assume there was a good reason for using a cheaper one as the savings aren't much.
(05-Feb-2015, 14:48)mirekti Wrote: Thanks for this.
...I checked the prices of ADC, and one costs $10, the other $18. I assume there was a good reason for using a cheaper one as the savings aren't much.

My pleasure Smile

An extra $8 difference in materials costs could add $80 or more to the retail price and that's just for one chip... Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)