Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measurements Focal Diablo SAM On/Off
I´ve just received an UMIK-1 measurement mic, and I have just started to use REW measurement software.

I´m including a link to the graph from REW with or without SAM, 0 to 200Hz sweep. I´m just getting started with this so I can´t give any conclusions about the chart other than that my room needs a bit of treatment and that SAM really does affect the Diablos in lower frequencies.

I will also post pictures of my room, you are very welcome to give me tips about corrections!

System consists of Focal Diablo, Devialet 200 feed by modded SB Touch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wkEPn...sp=sharing

Hope this link works, Green is with SAM ON and Blue is with SAM OFF.
Here are a link to some photos of my living room:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing

As you can see there isn´t much treatments done in terms of sound, except for the two homemade BD-panels behind the speakers. 

And again, please give me feedback about speaker placement etc.
(24-Jan-2015, 10:35)Atomjohan Wrote: Here are a link to some photos of my living room:

As you can see there isn´t much treatments done in terms of sound, except for the two homemade BD-panels behind the speakers. 

Nice! Is that an Entreq Olympos box I can see next to the Devialet?

How about posting a complete description of your system in Your SystemsSmile

Cheers

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Inspired by your post, I have just ordered myself a UMIK-1 USB microphone. To be honest, I'll be glad if I can match your success in getting some REW graphs to work at all!

I guess we can exchange notes, assuming I get everything working in a week or so.

Regarding advice, I would suggest your next step is to experiment. It looks like you have a couple of bass nulls, which is normal in any room. So why not use some tape to mark off say 30mm increments on the floor, move the speaker positioning slightly forwards, backwards etc, and re-run the REW graphs, see what results. You could repeat with your bass traps removed, or even with the traps behind your listening position, to see if they attenuate bass reflections off the back wall. I think lots of hard work and trial and error is the order of the day. Will probably drive you crazy though!

One point to note, I understand having the listening position about 1 foot in front of the back wall is fairly optimum. so fine tuning is likely to be the order of the day, rather than attempting radically different room layout, in theory you should be close to the optimum layout for the room I think.
(24-Jan-2015, 12:05)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(24-Jan-2015, 10:35)Atomjohan Wrote: Here are a link to some photos of my living room:

Nice! Is that an Entreq Olympos box I can see next to the Devialet?

How about posting a complete description of your system in Your SystemsSmile

Cheers

Guillaume

Good spotting! It is an Entreq Olympos with Apollo eartha RCA. I have the Olympos and an Silver Tellus home on trial right now, will report back as soon as I have listened to it some more Smile

(24-Jan-2015, 13:07)Confused Wrote: Inspired by your post, I have just ordered myself a UMIK-1 USB microphone.  To be honest, I'll be glad if I can match your success in getting some REW graphs to work at all!

I guess we can exchange notes, assuming I get everything working in a week or so.

Regarding advice, I would suggest your next step is to experiment.  It looks like you have a couple of bass nulls, which is normal in any room.  So why not use some tape to mark off say 30mm increments on the floor, move the speaker positioning slightly forwards, backwards etc, and re-run the REW graphs, see what results.  You could repeat with your bass traps removed, or even with the traps behind your listening position, to see if they attenuate bass reflections off the back wall.  I think lots of hard work and trial and error is the order of the day.  Will probably drive you crazy though!

One point to note, I understand having the listening position about 1 foot in front of the back wall is fairly optimum. so fine tuning is likely to be the order of the day, rather than attempting radically different room layout, in theory you should be close to the optimum layout for the room I think.
Great, and it is quite simple setting it up. There are som good guides to follow. But I guess that to be good at it, that will take some time.

I will follow your advice and start to move the speakers around and see if I can find a better position. 
I´m also waiting for a 200 companion, will be interesting to see what that will do.

So now, it´s time to get a cold beer and start to measure  Big Grin
I am far from an expert at this but I have a friend who is. After one job he had all the measuring kit in his car and visited us for the weekend. We (mainly he, I was the helper) spent most of one day measuring my system in my room.
He must have made over 50 measurements with the microphone in different positions. One even had the microphone as close as he could get it onto the room corner where the ceiling met the walls at the opposite end of the room to the speakers.
He used MSLLA (I think that is what it was) to analyse the results.

He said my system (set up by ear) was very good. I have changed it since Smile

He said it is completely inaccurate to only measure one microphone position, FWIW.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have more or less the same set up for measure. 

Would you mind doing the measurements with different inputs? Toslink, USB, Air?

I was surprised by the differences and have not been able to explain them yet.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

(25-Jan-2015, 00:29)Divasson Wrote: I have more or less the same set up for measure. 

Would you mind doing the measurements with different inputs? Toslink, USB, Air?

I was surprised by the differences and have not been able to explain them yet.

Nice gear..speakers are way to close to the back wall.. But I don't see how you can do much about it.. Pity. With the door where it is you can't use that end of the room..I'd try putting the speakers on the wall with the windows.. At least to see how much better it will sound.. 
(24-Jan-2015, 10:08)Atomjohan Wrote: I´ve just received an UMIK-1 measurement mic, and I have just started to use REW measurement software.

I´m including a link to the graph from REW with or without SAM, 0 to 200Hz sweep. I´m just getting started with this so I can´t give any conclusions about the chart other than that my room needs a bit of treatment and that SAM really does affect the Diablos in lower frequencies.

I will also post pictures of my room, you are very welcome to give me tips about corrections!

System consists of Focal Diablo, Devialet 200 feed by modded SB Touch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wkEPn...sp=sharing

Hope this link works, Green is with SAM ON and Blue is with SAM OFF.

Amazing to see the 10 to 25 dB extra output  below 50 Hz but as worrying to see the suck out around 150 Hz. Well SAM works as I can hear in my system. The added octave down below is super. You have the system playing the short wall (I used too as well) so I wonder if you have practical problems with the approx 47 Hz peak. I used to have big problems playing the system from a short wall position.
As some already said, I will look at doing the same, were can I get a UMIK-1?

Nice looking system/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK