Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Masters?
Apologies is the following is rubbish but...

Given the number of posts about Master / Companion linking, sound quality etc and working on the principle that more Masters will come on the second hand market than Companions, then would it be possible to use two Masters in a full, shared nothing, dual mono configuration i.e. one master handling left input / output and the other the right channel. I am (pretty) sure this would work with hard wired inputs but not sure if it would be possible to separate channels on a wireless / AIR setup?.  Just a thought...
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
2 masters units can be configured as a dual mono master and slave. But this will be wired only, either via RCA to RCA or RCA to AES/EBU connection. Currently the configurator does not support a wireless connection between two D units.

However as part of my wishful thinking and as a solution to the many bugs in the current wired mono configuration I guess in time Devialet may offer a wireless connection via Dialog and allow D units to connect to each other wirelessly like Phantoms via the Dialog hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(24-Jan-2015, 16:35)amabrok Wrote: 2 masters units can be configured as a dual mono master and slave. But this will be wired only, either via RCA to RCA or RCA to AES/EBU connection. Currently the configurator does not support a wireless connection between two D units.

However as part of my wishful thinking and as a solution to the many bugs in the current wired mono configuration I guess in time Devialet may offer a wireless connection via Dialog and allow D units to connect to each other wirelessly like Phantoms via the Dialog hub.

An interesting idea.  Although you would need two masters, as the one thing the companion lacks is the wifi unit.  (and remote)

As for the idea of using two masters without a link, I'm sure when you look at issues with volume control and similar, this probably starts to get a lot trickier than you might think.
There has been the possibility to use two Devialets as dual mono in the configurator since mid 2012 so this is no problem. They are linked by a digital cable though and the extra wifi unit is not used.
It also gives 2 remote controls, I have one next to the amps and one on a table next to my chair.
The only wasteful thing is that one of the wifi units isn't used but I, and at least one other forum member I know, have effectively been using two "masters" in a dual mono config for almost 3 years now.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Jan-2015, 16:35)amabrok Wrote: 2 masters units can be configured as a dual mono master and slave. But this will be wired only, either via RCA to RCA or RCA to AES/EBU connection. Currently the configurator does not support a wireless connection between two D units.

I must say I was rather hoping that Spark would have a way of either replacing or complementing Air for those with a Dialog and with appropriate firmware update allow any Devialet amp to receive data like a Phantom.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Another thought, what will Dialog allow with surround sound? If you could use Dialog to run an Expert amp for the front speakers and Phantom for the rears, that could be quite neat. I guess your going to be our pioneer with this one Frank! (If your Phantoms ever get delivered)
I hope that I can run my mains as fronts and Phantoms as rears since that is my planned principle use of them...
Oxfordshire

F1, in the dual Master setup, is the purpose of the digital cable link just to handle wireless / AIR inputs?. My chain of thought on the shared nothing approach was that sound wise this may be better then having the digital link in place which , given the posts re sound quality of the supplied cables vs 'better' cable must impact on the sound.
Chord Blu > D200 > Martin Logan Ethos : Saddleworth, England
(25-Jan-2015, 15:44)Tony Wrote: F1, in the dual Master setup, is the purpose of the digital cable link just to handle wireless / AIR inputs?. My chain of thought on the shared nothing approach was that sound wise this may be better then having the digital link in place which , given the posts re sound quality of the supplied cables vs 'better' cable must impact on the sound.
The digital wired link is the only way (so far) to set two Ds in a dual mono configuration

In case of the two masters, one of them is demoted to a slave status

In any case, of you think of it, a slave unit is exactly like a master unit minus the WiFi module, that's the only difference.

So a slave unit D200 or D250 can operate on its own as a stereo system but of course you will miss the WiFi functionality and the physical remote
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(25-Jan-2015, 16:15)amabrok Wrote:
(25-Jan-2015, 15:44)Tony Wrote: F1, in the dual Master setup, is the purpose of the digital cable link just to handle wireless / AIR inputs?. My chain of thought on the shared nothing approach was that sound wise this may be better then having the digital link in place which , given the posts re sound quality of the supplied cables vs 'better' cable must impact on the sound.
The digital wired link is the only way (so far) to set two Ds in a dual mono configuration

In case of the two masters, one of them is demoted to a slave status

In any case, of you think of it, a slave unit is exactly like a master unit minus the WiFi module, that's the only difference.

So a slave unit D200 or D250 can operate on its own as a stereo system but of course you will miss the WiFi functionality and the physical remote

As I was in Spain for a break a friend picked up my slave 200 to use at home till my return, just so everyone is aware it is not just the WiFi unit it is the whole network unit that is missing from a slave !!!! Certainly that seems to be the case on mine so without a remote you cannot use it as a stand alone.

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers