Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Cables
Well, yes. If you are thinking it causes the power filter to malfunction, I would say it is unlikely.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(01-Aug-2016, 00:46)hk6230 Wrote: I have been using NRG-X3 for a long time and I have no issue on fittings. Performance wise, I have not really spent enough time to listen for any differences with the original stock power cable.

(01-Aug-2016, 07:45)hk6230 Wrote: Well, yes. If you are thinking it causes the power filter to malfunction, I would say it is unlikely.

A loose IEC plug would cause undesired arcing inside the IEC inlet and could possibly damage the filter board. I have to prefix this by saying that this is pure conjecture and speculation on my part. Although you could just look inside the IEC plug for any signs of arcing.
There's an shamingly high number of D200's of which the power input board had to be replaced. The reason has already been shared by Devialet, it's somewhere on this forum (I can't remember).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
An interesting evening spent AB'ing power cables with my buddy.
I've been using a 1.5m Wireworld Silver Elctra 7 (it has a flat moulded IEC that fits cleanly under the rear cover) - unfortunately as it's a little short I have had to use a cheap Walmart extension to reach the outlet. Non the less I've had little complaint with it's sound. But, like most things it's always interesting to explore what else is out there. My experience with speaker cables has already shown my system to be highly revealing and the Devialet very sensitive to changes.

We spent a lot of time switching back and forth between cables.
On hand we had:
Wireworld Silver Electra 1.5m
PS Audio AC-12
Shunyata Alpha Ztron 1.75m
Shunyata Alpha Ztron HC 2m
Adioquest Niagra 1000 condition/filter

We both agreed in our findings and for some the difference was huge and quite negative, in other cases while the difference was still significant the change was simply a different flavor.

Our results:
PS Audio AC-12 The least good in this system. Noticeably restricted bass and treble. Seemed like a wet blanket was hung over the speakers.
Shunyata Alpha Ztron HC. Much better, a little forward in the midrange and in comparison lacked texture and detail in the bass. On switching back to the WW the veiled HF was noticeable.
Audioquest 1000 & Shunyata at both ends. Slightly better than just the Shunyata but when really listening it was maybe just a little better balanced with wider and deeper soundstaging.
Wireworld Silver Electra 7. Easily bested everything we tried. MUCH greater high and low frequency extension, real palpability and air in the presentation (finally the blanket was off!) Subtle nuance's were evident with increases resolution and much more 'life'. Increased soundstage and image presentation.

The Wireworld still won through even with the Wallmart POS 6ft extension in the line, so now I'm on the search for a 2m length of the Wireworld as well as to find some TriodeWireLabs that people here seem to like, the Synergistic also appears to be well reviewed. Just like my forays into speaker cables it seems there's much to explore and much variety in the options. Thankfully, it seems price is NO indicator in power cord results!

As an aside, I have run my system for quite some time with the Wireworld into an old Transparent Audio Ultra Power conditioner with captive power cord. It was very subtly better, just a little more of everything, a little more 'there'.
I'm also about to rewire the outlet with independent circuits fed from a new sub-panel with an upgraded outlet.
Any recommendations for outlets, ROMEX and sub-panel brands that have solid copper bus bars with 12-20 breaker slots?
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
Perhaps it would be worth trying a Walmart version of the entire length, and putting an IEC on one end if it? Since having it in the chain provided the best results, might be worth a try and might save you a lot of cash at the same time....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-Jan-2017, 23:59)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Perhaps it would be worth trying a Walmart version of the entire length, and putting an IEC on one end if it?  Since having it in the chain provided the best results, might be worth a try and might save you a lot of cash at the same time....

Well quite!

I must say this is the first time I've heard of an Alpha HC sounding "veiled in the HF" And "lacking texture and detail in the bass". In my systems it is quite the opposite! And my reference points are cables like the Entreq Atlantis and the Echole Omnia (which has a huge following in über high end circles). I've also tested the new Transparent Opus over a period of a few weeks. The Alpha HC definitely holds its own in such company. 

It's all the more intriguing that the much cheaper Wireworld with extension cord beats it. Granted the Wireworld might be amazing (I haven't tested it after all) but in my experience an extension cord in the chain can really kill the dynamics by simple virtue of adding so many more contacts and conductors not to mention the distortion they can add to the powerline.

I am not saying that your observations are wrong! Just saying that they don't tally with my experience of the Alpha cables (particularly the HC) with the Devialet. Were the cables definitely run in properly? If new they can need up to 200 hours to settle due to the extra large conductors and use of pure copper in the connectors. They can sound pretty awful during the initial burning in phase.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Jan-2017, 00:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Jan-2017, 23:59)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Perhaps it would be worth trying a Walmart version of the entire length, and putting an IEC on one end if it?  Since having it in the chain provided the best results, might be worth a try and might save you a lot of cash at the same time....

Well quite!

I must say this is the first time I've heard of an Alpha HC sounding "veiled in the HF" And "lacking texture and detail in the bass". In my systems it is quite the opposite! And my reference points are cables like the Entreq Atlantis and the Echole Omnia (which has a huge following in über high end circles). I've also tested the new Transparent Opus over a period of a few weeks. The Alpha HC definitely holds its own in such company. 

It's all the more intriguing that the much cheaper Wireworld with extension cord beats it. Granted the Wireworld might be amazing (I haven't tested it after all) but in my experience an extension cord in the chain can really kill the dynamics by simple virtue of adding so many more contacts and conductors not to mention the distortion they can add to the powerline.

I am not saying that your observations are wrong! Just saying that they don't tally with my experience of the Alpha cables (particularly the HC) with the Devialet. Were the cables definitely run in properly? If new they can need up to 200 hours to settle due to the extra large conductors and use of pure copper in the connectors. They can sound pretty awful during the initial burning in phase.

Guillaume
We were both very surprised as with both my buddies experiences on his Primaluna/Benchmark system and all the reviews out there we were expecting my system to demonstrate a noticeable improvement from my hodge-podge make-do.
All the cables are well run in - the newest item being the Niagara 1000, though it's got probably 600hrs on it.  The others considerably more.
Unfortunately there's not nearly as much feedback out there on the Wireworld stuff (though what there is reviews very well), and not nearly as much for sale on Audiogon.  There might be something in that - happy owners perhaps?
I know everyone's system and room is different, this is simply what we heard in an evening on back to back. It maybe that with a few days to relax the Shunyata may have improved as it settled?  It was especially interesting as the Shunyata were all my buddies and he's quite the fan boy.

I don't know if it's a companies marketing spend with the media or their respective dealer markups and profitability but there's a noticeable hype and push towards certain recurring names.  I'm sure they have to be doing something to sell in the first place, however there's a lot of other companies out there making some very competitive products.

Thankfully, there's forums like this where real-world examples explore some of the variables.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
(08-Jan-2017, 03:50)LeeC Wrote:
(08-Jan-2017, 00:50)GuillaumeB Wrote: Well quite!

Guillaume
We were both very surprised as with both my buddies experiences on his Primaluna/Benchmark system and all the reviews out there we were expecting my system to demonstrate a noticeable improvement from my hodge-podge make-do.
All the cables are well run in - the newest item being the Niagara 1000, though it's got probably 600hrs on it.  The others considerably more.
Unfortunately there's not nearly as much feedback out there on the Wireworld stuff (though what there is reviews very well), and not nearly as much for sale on Audiogon.  There might be something in that - happy owners perhaps?
I know everyone's system and room is different, this is simply what we heard in an evening on back to back. It maybe that with a few days to relax the Shunyata may have improved as it settled?  It was especially interesting as the Shunyata were all my buddies and he's quite the fan boy.

I don't know if it's a companies marketing spend with the media or their respective dealer markups and profitability but there's a noticeable hype and push towards certain recurring names.  I'm sure they have to be doing something to sell in the first place, however there's a lot of other companies out there making some very competitive products.

Thankfully, there's forums like this where real-world examples explore some of the variables.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Wireworld is good cables yes! I prefered Synergistic Research, and WW sounded second best in my system. WW natural and well balanced and very good for the price. But SR also removed some kind of distortion/ noice and made everyting sound even more natural with more timbre. But I have never tried Shunyata cables. 
I like what you do - test with open mind and belive what you hear!
Devaliet 220ProCI. Audio Physic Avanti III. Kvålsvoll Design Subwoofer 110. SmallGreenComputer with Roon core. Cables from Synergistic Reaserch, LessLoss, Wireworld and more
(08-Jan-2017, 16:10)Ibexman Wrote:
(08-Jan-2017, 03:50)LeeC Wrote:
(08-Jan-2017, 00:50)GuillaumeB Wrote: Well quite!

Guillaume

Thanks for sharing your experience! Wireworld is good cables yes! I prefered Synergistic Research, and WW sounded second best in my system. WW natural and well balanced and very good for the price. But SR also removed some kind of distortion/ noice and made everyting sound even more natural with more timbre. But I have never tried Shunyata cables. 
I like what you do - test with open mind and belive what you hear!

we can't speak about power cables, unless PEM is remowed!
PEM is huuge bottleneck.
regards, Hrky
You mean the filtering PEMs. These are no longer used in the Pro series.

And even so their presence doesn't make any upstream tuning irrelevant...
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands