Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200/D400 on Computer Audiophile
Smile
I haven't read the review since Computer Audiophile drives me round the bend nowadays.
I have however read this forum member comments, hence the smiley.
I have not done extensive comparisons between digital inputs, but if there is a difference it does not stand out to me, though CD on my Mimesis 36+ via the AES/EBU input is probably my favoured input.
I only heard a difference between my stereo D-Premier and my dual monos on complex material through tough load (but efficient) speakers.
With my very efficient, easy load Tune Audio Animas I did not notice a difference between single D-Premier, 250 or 800 which I could confidently state was real given the length of time it takes to swap from D-Premier to 250, or from 250 to 800. Each of these two comparisons was done during the D-Premier > 800 update period.

I am extremely happy with the SQ of my 800 with all the inputs I use, but then I was already delighted by the SQ of the D-Premiers and at least the configurator and AIR worked better with them...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

And from the lack of responses on the review you can clearly see that the CA members don't care.
(06-Feb-2015, 15:01)Dr Tone Wrote: And from the lack of responses on the review you can clearly see that the CA members don't care.

The typical CA reader, it seems to me, is a subset of the typical hifi equipment enthusiast who likes a lot of variables to mess around with.
The Devialet is/was aimed at the music enthusiast who wants a simple high quality system and doesn't want to mess about with it for the next 10 years or so Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(06-Feb-2015, 15:04)f1eng Wrote: The Devialet is/was aimed at the music enthusiast who wants a simple high quality system and doesn't want to mess about with it for the next 10 years or so Smile

I don't know Frank, I've certainly done a good job of messing around with a few things! It's good fun though, and if it floats your boat then why not? Big Grin

Regarding the perceived SQ differences between models, I think speakers/room are obviously a major part of this. I've seen and heard your speakers and they are a thing of wonder, one of the best sounds of Windsor I should add. You've clearly got good taste.  Smile

Anyway... we digress!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Feb-2015, 11:52)wikeeboy Wrote: I thought the review was not thorough at all. Pretty disappointing really seeing he supposedly had it for so long.

I agree. I found it a bit bland and not up to his usual standard. But In fairness, the Devialet has so much to talk about it rather forces the reviewer to talk about all the features as functions, rather than focussing on sound quality.
I'll have to reread it but didn't he mention he was going to use it with his pass amps as well to try it like that? But then didn't comment on it?

Seemed like a half arsed effort really. I agree with one of the comments above. Seemed like he didn;t like it but didn't want to go too hard on it because of his relationship with Devialet.