Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono & Stereo
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/02/dev...n.html?m=1
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
By contrast, I think the sound quality is excellent and the functionality poor..... (white noise and configurator issues)
If absolute fidelity to music in its natural form and tone including being a true reflection of color/vibrancy are his requirements for a high-end system, I do not think there is anything that can be classified as high-end. It is just a reproduction of the event that can never equal or surpass the experience of the actual event. I wish I could hear (let alone own) such a system.

The Devialet sounds pretty good for a single box solution and I enjoy the music that it puts out in my home. There is a concert every evening that the family enjoys without any thought as to whether it was a absolute fidelity event. It's all about the music. Nothing else matters.

Just my opinion.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
A strange and IMHO worthless 'review'.  The author doesn't even identify which Devialet model he is talking about let alone the source and other ancillary components...  He thinks it sounds like a Class D amp... what???   Hopefully he (presumably the 'geek' 'hipster') wasn't paid for writing this garbage Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Wow two lukewarm reviews in a row: first the Chris Connaker one and now this. Makes a refreshing change! Big Grin

I actually don't think the Mono & Stereo is a bad read; it is more of an opinion piece after all as opposed to a product review. The writer is simply asking the question of whether the Devialet is really "true high-end" as opposed to just hi-fi. He's not saying it's a bad product, far from it! 

Which of course brings us to a definition of what is a true high-end system. A highly subjective thing perhaps. Unfortunately he does not really elaborate on this, perhaps readers of Mono & Stereo would be expected to know what he means.  Wink

Personally I have heard systems that sound better than the Devialet (sorry folks!). The trouble is I'll never be able to afford them (and even if I could I probably wouldn't have the space for them). But does that mean that Devialet isn't true high end? I'm not sure.

I would like to see Devialet continue to improve the sound quality of their Expert line, perhaps a few more reviews like this will encourage them to do so!  Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I don't think that's a particularly bad review and agree with what Guillaume says above. I have a sneaky feeling many (reviewers especially) aren't hearing a Devialet at its best as significant improvements can be made with ancillaries. Also for the price I think it's hard to beat. You have to go fairly seriously high end, and expensive, to better it.
(12-Feb-2015, 16:06)GuillaumeB Wrote: ...The writer is simply asking the question of whether the Devialet is really "true high-end" as opposed to just hi-fi. He's not saying it's a bad product, far from it! 

Which of course brings us to a definition of what is a true high-end system. A highly subjective thing perhaps. Unfortunately he does not really elaborate on this, perhaps readers of Mono & Stereo would be expected to know what he means. perhaps a few more reviews like this will encourage them to do so!  Big Grin

Guillaume

I didn't say its a bad review (i.e. negative about Devialet). I just think its just a worthless article which could have been made so much more interesting if the author could have been bothered to put any thought or effort into writing it. As you say the anonymous author doesn't even explain what he means by true high-end so the whole article is worthless...

A few thoughts: maybe Devialet amps don't have big enough price tags to be "truly high-end"? Is a piece of hi-fi equipment 'true high-end if it has a high-enough price tag? There's plenty of over-priced junk out there which some reviewers regard as 'high-end'.

I'd never actually read Mono & Stereo before today.  Clearly I'm not in their target market as I couldn't care less whether they think that Devialet is true high-end or not Wink

EDIT: As Rufus and Jayr say, the great thing about Devialet is that it offers exceptional value for money.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Hi,

I just note something about my self and that is that I do not read review or anything any longer. I feel so good with my system I have zero interest compared to before when more or less anything resembling a review or test got my full attention.

If only reviewers out there knew that the Devs are as sensitive as any other brand on the market when it comes to burn in, power cables, the absolute so important link cable between master and companion etc etc.

My only interest is in this forum otherwise I enjoy music.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
The article has a really bold title with absolutely NO information/arguments/comparisons to support the title one way or the other. It was just a bunch of words that doesn't convey any information. I agree with PhilP that it was worthless. It would have been cool to read about some "high-end" alternative gear that really tickled his emotion better than the devialet. It would have been another waypoint to check out in our journey to enjoy music through our audio systems.

At least he got ten members here to read his post. Maybe that was his intention.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
I'm not adverse to reading reviews that are not enthusiastic about the Devialet. I think most would agree that different persons have different preferences for audio reproduction, the ride qualities of cars, the correct level of 'al dente' for pasta, and so on. But the Mono & Stereo piece is not a review at all. It is, as PhilP suggests, worthless beyond being a poorly-written opinion.  It has no objective content, and even the opinions are completely unsupported.

I would say that the number of members here who have chosen to move to Devialet from many other brands, often worth much more money, is a more valid 'review' of the product line. As well, we have two local Devialet dealers, and the staff in both locations have been quite candid about their admiration for the sound quality. Certainly I trust my own ears in this regard, and I'm convinced.

Finally, I tire of comments about Devialet being a 'lifestyle' product. It is beautiful design, but very few would spend thousands of euros/ pounds/ dollars on something that is shinny, and has only one glowing light. If it didn't sound superb, I doubt it would sell to customers who love music and care about its reproduction. Whether it is hi-fi or 'truly hi-end' is even more vague than standards for cooking pasta. And if our mystery writer felt that was an important distinction, a definition would be useful. 

I'm actually very interested to read valid, informed reviews of Devialet that identify shortcomings or discuss the compromises of the product. The post from M&S doesn't contain anything that makes it a competent review. The grammar and syntax are abysmal as well.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada