Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antipodes DXe (DV)
After a lot of listening the DV Zero sounds very similar to the DXe -- no surprise -- but a bit clearer and easier. This shows mainly in the ability to listen to music at lower volumes. The ability to use the NAS for streaming is a big plus, and I like how the ripper rips to the NAS.

NOTE 4/23 -- The sound seems to have gotten noticeably better over the past two days. More air, more natural feel. It seems to have taken longer to break in than I had initially anticipated.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

This is really interesting -- not just for Antipodes users but for anyone using an NAS: http://www.audiostream.com/content/antip...ver-part-2

And this too. Aurender and Auralic comps as well:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/0...er-review/

Aaron,

You def have increased my appetite for another streamer! My Naim Unitiserve is a master (of disaster) of constant rebooting and hick ups, so tired of it.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(25-May-2015, 17:45)Mikeeo Wrote: Aaron,

You def have increased my appetite for another streamer! My Naim Unitiserve is a master (of disaster) of constant rebooting and hick ups, so tired of it.

/Mike

I found Darko's claims that lesser DACs sounded better with the Antipodes than superior DACs streaming from a computer very interesting. I think Mark -- and others like Melco, Aurender, TotalDac, etc. -- are on to something.

Rave review from John Atkinson in Stereophile. He describes a very similar experience to my own with the server. I wish he had compared it to other streamers though!

(16-Sep-2015, 17:37)AaronG Wrote: Rave review from John Atkinson in Stereophile. He describes a very similar experience to my own with the server. I wish he had compared it to other streamers though!

Yes Aaron he rates it A+. But it seems to be pretty standard now that comparisons are avoided. It happens in the UK with HiFi News and with HiFi+. I guess issues over advertising revenues have become a major focus.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(24-Sep-2015, 14:06)IanG-UK Wrote:
(16-Sep-2015, 17:37)AaronG Wrote: Rave review from John Atkinson in Stereophile. He describes a very similar experience to my own with the server. I wish he had compared it to other streamers though!

Yes Aaron he rates it A+. But it seems to be pretty standard now that comparisons are avoided. It happens in the UK with HiFi News and with HiFi+. I guess issues over advertising revenues have become a major focus.

Which is why I was surprised to see a "how it compares" boxout in a recent review of the Hegel 360 in Hi-fi Choice! Not to mention a more sensible scoring system.

http://www.hegel.com/images/reviews/H360...oiceuk.pdf

Sorry - off topic - I know! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Atkinson (and previously John Darko) mentions the impending integration of the Antipodes servers with Roon.  Can't wait !!

This would give Antipodes users a worthy user interface (at a cost).
The LMS/Squeezebox interface, while reliable and serviceable, has been around for ages and seems antiquated.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
The Hegel reads like an accomplished piece of kit albeit without the flexibility and the facilities of the Devialet (or the looks) - and it is quite keenly priced.

AFAIK Ward has not done his homework as I have only ever read the Devialet as being Class A and Class D - never Class B.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England