Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
PMC Twenty 26 + D200
Anybody has any thought about this setup? (PMC Twenty 26 + D200)
Maybe experience?

Thanks! Angel
I have (it's the combo I will end up with, just waiting for the speakers to arrive!)

I tested: ProacD30R, SF Olympica II & Venere series, Focal 928, Kudos C20, B&W CM series, PMC Fact 8 and others too!!

I thought it was the best all-rounder of the bunch. I was really surprised that the Olympica didn't impress, I had expected that to be the winner.

Runner up for me was the ProacD30R, they are excellent too. But no SAM, although that will come shortly I am sure. The PMC's have it out of the box so that really helped the decision.

You *really* need to demo, speaker preference is very personal - I know others love the Fact 8 over the 20.26, you have to hear them for yourself.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(05-Mar-2015, 10:33)Neffa Wrote: I have (it's the combo I will end up with, just waiting for the speakers to arrive!)

I tested: ProacD30R, SF Olympica II & Venere series, Focal 928, Kudos C20, B&W CM series, PMC Fact 8 and others too!!

I thought it was the best all-rounder of the bunch. I was really surprised that the Olympica didn't impress, I had expected that to be the winner.

Runner up for me was the  ProacD30R, they are excellent too. But no SAM, although that will come shortly I am sure. The PMC's have it out of the box so that really helped the decision.

You *really* need to demo, speaker preference is very personal - I know others love the Fact 8 over the 20.26, you have to hear them for yourself.

Very helpful post. I have not got my 200 yet but have a demo tomorrow. Already thinking about new speakers in the future and the 26s are high on my list as I already have the 23s and love their sound.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I haven't heard the PMC line, as I haven't been in equipment acquisition mode for the last few years (except for the Dev). I have heard other transmission line speakers of a similar form, and I think a generally similar design, and I was very impressed. Certainly the PMC products are very popular with Naim owners, as far as I can tell.

I would certainly have them on my list of candidates.

Interesting list of comparison speakers from Neffa; good company to be seen and heard with.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(05-Mar-2015, 10:33)Neffa Wrote: I have (it's the combo I will end up with, just waiting for the speakers to arrive!)

Runner up for me was the  ProacD30R, they are excellent too. But no SAM, although that will come shortly I am sure. The PMC's have it out of the box so that really helped the decision.

How are you finding the 26s?
Your post very interesting for me as this is the route I may take. The other two on my shortlist are the Spendor A9 and the SF Olympica 2.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I get them late next week, will post updates shortly after!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Evening all,

As an extremely happy Olympica II owner I thought I may be able to help a bit here.

First, I have heard my almost exact setup at two other dealers, including the Olympica III, and I was as well very mildly impressed. Even though the Olympicas are not too fuzzy about placement, to get quality from them they still demand careful attention. 
At one of the dealers the room was way too absorbent/dead, taking most of the life away from music, and I thought the listening position/speaker separation relationship was far from ideal. At the other one, it was a bit the opposite, big glass wall behind and on one side of the speakers, and they were sitting way too close to it, so almost no soundstage depth. I think proper placement is an aspect some dealers judge too lightly.

No upgrade, cable, etc, has yielded greater improvement to me than correct speaker positioning. When properly placed, the sound image just snaps right into place (toe in and rake are critical with them) and the Olympicas are well known for their coherence and realistic/lively soundstage.

Ultimately, personal taste will be the deciding factor, as it should be. But if you appreciate a sonic signature that only very slightly leans towards the warm side of tonal balance (the Olympicas are quite a departure from the traditional SF designs) and a soundstage quality rarely found in less than Raidho or Wilson Audio level, then you will appreciate the Olympicas.

To sum up, although I´ve owned SF in the past, this is a speaker I chose based on the view of my other half, who has formal music education and has trained/trains with some of the best in her field.

Hope I have been of some help. Time for bed Smile

Cheers,

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
(24-Mar-2015, 02:13)MusicLover Wrote: Evening all,

As an extremely happy Olympica II owner I thought I may be able to help a bit here.

First, I have heard my almost exact setup at two other dealers, including the Olympica III, and I was as well very mildly impressed. Even though the Olympicas are not too fuzzy about placement, to get quality from them they still demand careful attention. 
At one of the dealers the room was way too absorbent/dead, taking most of the life away from music, and I thought the listening position/speaker separation relationship was far from ideal. At the other one, it was a bit the opposite, big glass wall behind and on one side of the speakers, and they were sitting way too close to it, so almost no soundstage depth. I think proper placement is an aspect some dealers judge too lightly.

No upgrade, cable, etc, has yielded greater improvement to me than correct speaker positioning. When properly placed, the sound image just snaps right into place (toe in and rake are critical with them) and the Olympicas are well known for their coherence and realistic/lively soundstage.

Ultimately, personal taste will be the deciding factor, as it should be. But if you appreciate a sonic signature that only very slightly leans towards the warm side of tonal balance (the Olympicas are quite a departure from the traditional SF designs) and a soundstage quality rarely found in less than Raidho or Wilson Audio level, then you will appreciate the Olympicas.

To sum up, although I´ve owned SF in the past, this is a speaker I chose based on the view of my other half, who has formal music education and has trained/trains with some of the best in her field.

Hope I have been of some help. Time for bed Smile

Cheers,

ML

That is excellent , thank you very much. my room is fairly small at 14ft x 23ft and I am a little concerned that a larger floorstander could be too much. Great post