Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries vs Aurender X100 vs Melco N1Z
(27-Feb-2015, 10:50)amabrok Wrote:
(26-Feb-2015, 21:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi are you using the Melco as a transport? i.e. do you have the new firmware? I understand there is also a direct mode...

Guillaume

I will opt for a level playground to try as much as possible to have a fair comparison. having said that, i will avoid the direct mode setup and will rely on the USB connection to have an apple to apple comparison mainly to my Aurender. Also in my comparison i will play exact tracks from internal storage to rule out any impact from the local network, of course the exception here would Auralic Aries as it has no built in storage.

the thing that bugs me is that i can't get the Aries >> USB >> D400 connection to work (currently only relying on digital coax). my understanding is that there was a firmware update for Aries that enables that. Any idea how to sort this. Ideally I want all three streamers on the same USB port using the same USB cable

Re the Aries > USB > D400 I seem to remember there was a setting in Lightning DS... it was ages ago so i can't remember now I'm afraid. It definitely worked though.

The Melco USB connection is supposed to be excellent but it's apparently the DSM/direct mode where things supposedly really take off. 

Hey - how come your Melco box is badged "DELA"?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(27-Feb-2015, 11:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(26-Feb-2015, 21:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi are you using the Melco as a transport? i.e. do you have the new firmware? I understand there is also a direct mode...

Guillaume

I will opt for a level playground to try as much as possible to have a fair comparison. having said that, i will avoid the direct mode setup and will rely on the USB connection to have an apple to apple comparison mainly to my Aurender. Also in my comparison i will play exact tracks from internal storage to rule out any impact from the local network, of course the exception here would Auralic Aries as it has no built in storage.

the thing that bugs me is that i can't get the Aries >> USB >> D400 connection to work (currently only relying on digital coax). my understanding is that there was a firmware update for Aries that enables that. Any idea how to sort this. Ideally I want all three streamers on the same USB port using the same USB cable

Re the Aries > USB > D400 I seem to remember there was a setting in Lightning DS... it was ages ago so i can't remember now I'm afraid. It definitely worked though.

The Melco USB connection is supposed to be excellent but it's apparently the DSM/direct mode where things supposedly really take off. 

Guillaume
Thanks, i will check Lightning DS setting once again.

once i conclude the head to head USB comparison I may give the direct mode a try and see f it really makes a big difference.

Dela and Melco is one and the same thing. Dela is their brand name in Asia, mainly Japan and Melco is the brand name in Europe. Of course as you expect Dubai, UAE being part of Asia, gets the Dela label.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE

Guillaume

Hi Ambrok,

You said "Any idea how to sort this." Was this a question? If so, found this on the auralic site:

"Does my ARIES support USB playback function?

Yes, all ARIES including ARIES LE supports USB playback function. To use this function, you need to update your ARIES to latest firmware
version, which is V1.11. It is also requested to have a Lighting DS, the control App, with version V1.6 and above.

My ARIES firmware is not up to date, how can I get updated?

Please connect ARIES to your home network with wired or wireless connection and make sure you have a stable Internet connection.
ARIES will check for latest firmware then downloads automatically when it power up or every 2 hours while it is running. You will receive
a notice in Lightning DS to proceed the firmware update after the  download is finished. It is highly recommended to connect your ARIES
with Internet connection while you use it so ARIES can receive all necessary updates immediately after they are available."

Web links:

http://www.auralic.com/download/LightningServerFAQ.pdf

http://www.auralic.com/download/aries_fi...notice.pdf

Hope this is helpful and not "teaching Granny to suck eggs"! Undecided

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(27-Feb-2015, 11:13)amabrok Wrote:
(27-Feb-2015, 11:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Guillaume
Thanks, i will check Lightning DS setting once again.

once i conclude the head to head USB comparison I may give the direct mode a try and see f it really makes a big difference.

Dela and Melco is one and the same thing. Dela is their brand name in Asia, mainly Japan and Melco is the brand name in Europe. Of course as you expect Dubai, UAE being part of Asia, gets the Dela label.

Ahh makes sense! Good luck with the USB setting... also if I remember correctly there were 2 USB ports at the back? One for attaching another drive I think...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks David. It is sorted out!

Now Aries is working with USB (a side note: much better vs Aries digital coax)

In Lightning DS i had to change the operation mode from OpenHome DS to uPnP Renderer to enable USB Audio 2.0 out
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(27-Feb-2015, 11:31)amabrok Wrote: Thanks David. It is sorted out!

In Lightning DS i had to change the operation mode from OpenHome DS to uPnP Renderer to enable USB Audio 2.0 out

How about with AES/EBU vs. USB?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket

Amabrok, can you also compare with the Bryston BDP-2, which has an AES/EBU output, as the AES/EBU is preferred by Devialet?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(27-Feb-2015, 16:31)miro Wrote:

How about with AES/EBU vs. USB?

Theoretically speaking AES/EBU would sound better than USB on Aries with Devialet. Unfortunately at the moment I have no AES/EBU cable at hand.

Also the group test is biased towards USB commention as it is my current reference setup.

Also I have no access to Bryston to add to the group test.. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubai, UAE

Hi Amabrok,

Great - glad all working. Now for the hard job of comparing them Tongue .

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Amabrok - If possible can you do USB output from Aries to Devialet "audio quality"?. dont hesitate for honest response. I have D120  (Cannot extend) which does not have AEB/EBU.

I also like your opinion on the app functionality? ease of use etc.

A Big Thank you for doing all this !
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"