Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR

(20-Aug-2014, 17:44)PhilP Wrote:
(20-Aug-2014, 17:23)Rufus McDufus Wrote: You're right. In the above test I was using:
Devialet 200/Firmware 7.1.1/AIR 2.1.2
2011 MacBook Air running latest Mavericks
No iTunes - just direct to Audivarna Plus 1.5.12 (trial version). If I use iTunes instead of Audivarna, it was 11.3.1. VLC was 2.1.5.
VLC/iTunes both sounded poorer to me than Audivarna. This is with Bit Perfect & 24/96 set on AIR in all cases.

Rufus,

I'm intrigued that you say that Audirvana+ working with AIR sounds a lot better than AIR on its own and I'm very keen to try it out. Please can you let me know what settings you use with Audirvana+ to get it to work with AIR? I think someone already posted this but I can't find the post.

Thanks,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Here are my current settings...

Guillaume

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I've been using pretty much the defaults on Audivarna. Guillaume found it worked better (or worked at all) when you turned off the low level playback options. It's behaved for me in that respect and I haven't had to touch them.
The big drawback is needing to adjust the bit/sample rate in AIR to match what's playing. Otherwise it plays at the wrong speed (wrong sample rate) or craps out all the time (wrong bitrate)! I find this requirement particularly annoying.

I believe you can link Audivarna in with iTunes but I've been using it standalone as I dislike iTunes intensely. Unfortunately like this it's rather crude and you have to drag and drop tracks into the playlist.
(20-Aug-2014, 18:00)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've been using pretty much the defaults on Audivarna. Guillaume found it worked better (or worked at all) when you turned off the low level playback options. It's behaved for me in that respect and I haven't had to touch them.
The big drawback is needing to adjust the bit/sample rate in AIR to match what's playing. Otherwise it plays at the wrong speed (wrong sample rate) or craps out all the time (wrong bitrate)! I find this requirement particularly annoying.

I believe you can link Audivarna in with iTunes but I've been using it standalone as I dislike iTunes intensely. Unfortunately like this it's rather crude and you have to drag and drop tracks into the playlist.

Ok, thanks. I don't like iTunes much either and would be very happy to replace it. The fact that I will have to adjust the sample rate in AIR seems absurd... thanks for the warning.

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
There is lots of very clever stuff posted around this forum by people able to interrogate what AIR is actually doing, in terms of rates of data packets and similar. One thing I wondered is that is it possible to go direct, and actually look at the AIR programme itself. Presumably anyone who could understand the programme would then be able to ascertain exactly what AIR is doing. I am not an expert on this subject, maybe it is just unintelligible machine code or something? However, it would be nice no know, it would help solve some of the debates over asynchronous clocking, if dedicated steamers can out perform PC's and so on.

Any ideas anyone?
I have very limited programming skills but I do know that without a programs source code (which is readable for humans) it's very hard to understand a programs inner workings. Reverse engineering then is about the only option if I'm not mistaking.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(17-Sep-2014, 22:15)Confused Wrote: There is lots of very clever stuff posted around this forum by people able to interrogate what AIR is actually doing, in terms of rates of data packets and similar. One thing I wondered is that is it possible to go direct, and actually look at the AIR programme itself. Presumably anyone who could understand the programme would then be able to ascertain exactly what AIR is doing. I am not an expert on this subject, maybe it is just unintelligible machine code or something? However, it would be nice no know, it would help solve some of the debates over asynchronous clocking, if dedicated steamers can out perform PC's and so on.

Any ideas anyone?

If we had the source code, it would be easy! It's compiled down and humanly unreadable, though it is possible to search for character strings using a command like "strings" but this really doesn't help.
I submitted a bug report for a particular bug a few days ago actually and ran AIR through a debugger to figure the hex address of the access violation It would've been easier if I had the symbol table for AIR but even this is of course protected proeprty of Devialet.