Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
Ok, I am not meaning this to be controversial but I guess after a few days on this forum I have gathered a lot of information.

I am considering a 200, and I have highlighted in other threads some issues with the demo, but that is not what this post is about.

The main reason I am considering a 200 is to be honest the rave reviews, and perhaps more importantly to get the box count down.
Now starting to wonder about reducing the box count. The 200 would be a major purchase for me and much more than I have ever spent on any one piece of kit ( up here in Newcastle I can get a small semi detached house for this ) Dodgy

So my thought process was that I stretch myself for the 200, use my current network player with it. I also thought that I would get rid of the headphone amp as the 200s would surely be just as good as mine. The DAC would be as good as a good high end stand alone DAC??

I am really not sure it will reduce boxes now as after going through this forum, most people on here seem to use it as an Amp.

Most people on here seem to have it as part of a bigger set up, separate DACs, separate streamers and some pretty high end at that.

How do you see the Devialet?

For me it was not a starting point, it was my solution that would last me years and years because of the software upgrades, SAM techology etc.

One thing I do love is the forum and people taking time out to help so many thanks to all who have done that.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Wished I had not used that as my thread headline......looks like I am asking for controversy! I am not its a genuine post.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I use mine as a DAC/phono/streamer/preamp/amplifier.
My main sources are a CD transport, digital out connected direct to the digital input of the Devialet. My MC cartridge is connected to the phono input of the amp via the step-up transformer I prefer.
I stream direct from my computer, I have connected it using AIR, AIR and ethernet, toslink and into the AES/EBU input using my digital recorder as a firewire > AES converter, because I have it, there are easier ways of doing this. All these worked brilliantly.
I messed about with UPnP with music on a remote NAS drive before I bought a Devialet and found it too clunky for my taste, so do not bother any more.

In conclusion the Devialet works brilliantly in its most simple form, but many on this forum have had fun and success tuning to their taste with extra add-ons and cables.
So it is up to you how complicated you want to make it!

The best systems I have heard with a Devialet D-Premier have been simple.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Mar-2015, 18:49)f1eng Wrote: I use mine as a DAC/phono/streamer/preamp/amplifier.
My main sources are a CD transport, digital out connected direct to the digital input of the Devialet. My MC cartridge is connected to the phono input of the amp via the step-up transformer I prefer.
I stream direct from my computer, I have connected it using AIR, AIR and ethernet, toslink and into the AES/EBU input using my digital recorder as a firewire > AES converter, because I have it, there are easier ways of doing this. All these worked brilliantly.
I messed about with UPnP with music on a remote NAS drive before I bought a Devialet and found it too clunky for my taste, so do not bother any more.

In conclusion the Devialet works brilliantly in its most simple form, but many on this forum have had fun and success tuning to their taste with extra add-ons and cables.

I wont have a turntable but you use it in a similar way to how I envisaged using it. Direct from PC not an option for me as prefer to keep work and entertainment separate.
Thanks for the reply, just the sort of info I was looking for.
(02-Mar-2015, 18:53)Womaz Wrote:
(02-Mar-2015, 18:49)f1eng Wrote: I use mine as a DAC/phono/streamer/preamp/amplifier.

I wont have a turntable but you use it in a similar way to how I envisaged using it. Direct from PC not an option for me as prefer to keep work and entertainment separate.

I am using a Devialet 200 in a single box solution using a laptop streamer as a source and then direct to the speakers. I also use a SACD player as a line source until they release DSD capability after which I will eliminate the SACD player. The Devialet 200 replaced a Placette passive preamp, Rowland Model 10 amp with a separate power supply, and Siltech sq88 gen 3 cabling. In our system, it easily outperformed what we had and greatly simplified the system.

The only issue that I see with your desires is the headphone capability. I don't think you can eliminate that box as the Devialet doesn't have a headphone amp/jack. Perhaps someone more experienced with headhone systems will chime in.

Apart from that, I do not see any issues with the Devialet 200 for your consideration.

Hope this helps.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
(02-Mar-2015, 19:29)Jayr Wrote:
(02-Mar-2015, 18:53)Womaz Wrote:

I am using a Devialet 200 in a single box solution using a laptop streamer as a source and then direct to the speakers. I also use a SACD player as a line source until they release DSD capability after which I will eliminate the SACD player. The Devialet 200 replaced a Placette passive preamp, Rowland Model 10 amp with a separate power supply, and Siltech sq88 gen 3 cabling. In our system, it easily outperformed what we had and greatly simplified the system.

The only issue that I see with your desires is the headphone capability. I don't think you can eliminate that box as the Devialet doesn't have a headphone amp/jack. Perhaps someone more experienced with headhone systems will chime in.

Apart from that, I do not see any issues with the Devialet 200 for your consideration.

Hope this helps.

There is a fix around the headphone amp.....but I cant quite remember that right now as I have had so much to take in.
My only real worry now is after a demo I might not have a digital source for the 200 until funds become available.
But thats not why I started this post. You appear to be using the 200 as I envisaged. The headphone amp might not be a big thing anyway as it can be configured. I will try this at the demo, Thanks for reply
I currently use my D200 as a DAC/amp. I have a (modded) Sonos Connect plugged in to it. This is a holding position for me. I plan to get a different streamer of some kind later this year. Maybe the DIALOG will work well, or maybe I'll have to spend a bit more.

But for the moment the system is great. The most important factor is that the Devialet drives my Sonus fabers (with the help of SAM) like no other amp I've tried. I also like that it has the DAC built in: it shortens the signal path considerably, which gives me a warm glow inside. 

Angel

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(02-Mar-2015, 21:44)Jwg1749 Wrote: I currently use my D200 as a DAC/amp. I have a (modded) Sonos Connect plugged in to it. This is a holding position for me. I plan to get a different streamer of some kind later this year. Maybe the DIALOG will work well, or maybe I'll have to spend a bit more.

But for the moment the system is great. The most important factor is that the Devialet drives my Sonus fabers (with the help of SAM) like no other amp I've tried. I also like that it has the DAC built in: it shortens the signal path considerably, which gives me a warm glow inside. 

Angel

Matt

Less boxes makes me smile too I have to admit. SAM is what excites me the most. I love my PMCs anyway so if it can improve them then all the better. I am definitely seeing the D200 as a amp/dac.....and hopefully even a headphone amp.
Mine replaced 6 Naim boxes.
I originally used it with a Mac Mini via USB. It was fine, but ethernet via AIR was a little clearer.
However, on my network I was getting drop outs.
I found a Moon Mind 180D used for £800 with an AQ Coffee AES cable so now use that as a source.
Rock solid and sounds excellent.
Next step will be to loose the Mac Mini from the system and add a NAS, but no rush.
All this is tweaking and you can very happily plug in a Devialet with a computer and a pair of speakers.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(02-Mar-2015, 23:34)DelaneyB Wrote: Mine replaced 6 Naim boxes.
I originally used it with a Mac Mini via USB. It was fine, but ethernet via AIR was a little clearer.
However, on my network I was getting drop outs.
I found a Moon Mind 180D used for £800 with an AQ Coffee AES cable so now use that as a source.
Rock solid and sounds excellent.
Next step will be to loose the Mac Mini from the system and add a NAS, but no rush.
All this is tweaking and you can very happily plug in a Devialet with a computer and a pair of speakers.

+1 here.

Womaz, I've seen your many posts here over the past few days and I understand you're looking at a huge investment so you want to get it right. One advice I can give you is that even if you just use the Devialet as an amp and nothing more, you will become a very, very happy camper. Whatever you plug in as a front end does make a difference and you can spend the rest of your life tweaking it but if you were to just plug in what you own at the moment you will still get the best sound you've ever heard.

Just get one. You'll love it!  (BTW, I'm going to trade mark that slogan Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.