Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
(02-Mar-2015, 23:34)DelaneyB Wrote: Mine replaced 6 Naim boxes.
I originally used it with a Mac Mini via USB. It was fine, but ethernet via AIR was a little clearer.
However, on my network I was getting drop outs.
I found a Moon Mind 180D used for £800 with an AQ Coffee AES cable so now use that as a source.
Rock solid and sounds excellent.
Next step will be to loose the Mac Mini from the system and add a NAS, but no rush.
All this is tweaking and you can very happily plug in a Devialet with a computer and a pair of speakers.

Now thats exactly what I was wanting to hear!!
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(02-Mar-2015, 23:44)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
I originally used it with a Mac Mini via USB. It was fine, but ethernet via AIR was a little clearer.
I found a Moon Mind 180D used for £800 with an AQ Coffee AES cable so now use that as a source.
Next step will be to loose the Mac Mini from the system and add a NAS, but no rush.
All this is tweaking and you can very happily plug in a Devialet with a computer and a pair of speakers.

+1 here.

Womaz, I've seen your many posts here over the past few days and I understand you're looking at a huge investment so you want to get it right. One advice I can give you is that even if you just use the Devialet as an amp and nothing more, you will become a very, very happy camper. Whatever you plug in as a front end does make a difference and you can spend the rest of your life tweaking it but if you were to just plug in what you own at the moment you will still get the best sound you've ever heard.

Just get one. You'll love it!  (BTW, I'm going to trade mark that slogan Wink

I think thats good advice and I am listening honest, but I am just the type of person who needs to understand what he is buying.......I am getting there Big Grin

Slogan is good but how does it go in French? Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(03-Mar-2015, 00:48)Womaz Wrote:

+1 here.

Womaz, I've seen your many posts here over the past few days and I understand you're looking at a huge investment so you want to get it right. One advice I can give you is that even if you just use the Devialet as an amp and nothing more, you will become a very, very happy camper. Whatever you plug in as a front end does make a difference and you can spend the rest of your life tweaking it but if you were to just plug in what you own at the moment you will still get the best sound you've ever heard.

I think thats good advice and I am listening honest, but I am just the type of person who needs to understand what he is buying.......I am getting there Big Grin

Juste obtenir un. Vous allez adorer! (Google translation)
So, are you getting one?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-Mar-2015, 14:20)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(03-Mar-2015, 00:48)Womaz Wrote:

+1 here.

Juste obtenir un. Vous allez adorer! (Google translation)
So, are you getting one?

I am still waiting for dealer to get back to me when he gets the 200 in for a home demo. My heart is set on it, but I have to hear it first with my kit.
Vous allez l'adorer! (Google Charlemagne translation)

Vous avez raison!
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Allez-y, vous ne serez pas déçu!  Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(03-Mar-2015, 18:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: Allez-y, vous ne serez pas déçu!  Big Grin

Guillaume

Helemaal mee eens! (this is getting out of hand) Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
allume gars obtenir une poignée Big Grin
ok, lets get this back on track.

Womaz, you really don't know what you're buying with a 200, because Devialet seems to think up stuff to implement for the future that you and I haven't thought of. The D-Premier started of as just an amp, then they added AIR, later (with an upgrade) you got SAM. AIR on the 170 started as an upgrade and by the time I got mine it was standard. There's dual mono with 200 and 250. Who knows what they will come up with. The fact is that a lot is possible with the platform you buy and over time I'm sure it will all happen, and more.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Mar-2015, 00:21)Pim van Vliet Wrote: ok, lets get this back on track.

Womaz, you really don't know what you're buying with a 200, because Devialet seems to think up stuff to implement for the future that you and I haven't thought of. The D-Premier started of as just an amp, then they added AIR, later (with an upgrade) you got SAM. AIR on the 170 started as an upgrade and by the time I got mine it was standard. There's dual mono with 200 and 250. Who knows what they will come up with. The fact is that a lot is possible with the platform you buy and over time I'm sure it will all happen, and more.

Yes I agree with a lot of that. I think the biggest worry for me at this stage is the complexity of it all. It is not that I am incapable of understanding technology, but I work for myself and have a busy life. My music is my downtime and my music is my hobby, its not hi fi. Thats my main concern. I have looked at stuff like using my headphones through the 200, and my god what a faff. I want something that when i have a couple of hours spare I can switch on and enjoy. Constantly doing updates and doing reconfigruations is not what I was looking for.
Also discovered my network player not a good partner so there are a few doubts in my mind. Not even sure I can access radio through it yet - streaming services?? A few bits and bobs I need to clear up.
Having said all that I am still really looking forward to hearing it, and if it sounds as good as people say I will go for it, as that will for me outweigh all of the concerns I have. Whereas I say I dont like the faff, I love the idea of upgraded software and new improvements being added all of the time. The SAM technology seems fantastic. If they keep improving and developing then this really could be a game changing move for me. If they keep tweaking and improving then I might stop looking to find that other bit if kit that will just give me that slightly better sound.
I guess I am hoping that the sound of the 200 blows me away, and that the hassle of configuration etc is only a temporary thing. Looks like my demo unit is arriving on Friday and I am very excited to be honest. The whole music experience, not the messing about is what will ultimately decide which way I go, and despite what I have said above I am very hopeful.