Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet not just an amp?
Have you had a go on the online configurator yet? If not, you should. You will find it's easier than setting up a mobile phone. Even if you wouldn't configure anything, the Devialet amps work like any other amp. Just plug in your sources and speakers and listen.
As for your streamer, I can't find where you wrote it now but I believe you are using your streamer's analog output now? If so, using it with Devialet will still give you a great sound. Just because you can do better by using a streamer with a digital output doesn't mean you won't get good quality with your analog output. Just see it as any other source with an analog output. It will sound great because the Devialet DAC is great.

Please try the configurator. It will answer a lot of your questions and will make you feel much more relaxed about setting up a Devialet.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Mar-2015, 14:19)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Have you had a go on the online configurator yet? If not, you should. You will find it's easier than setting up a mobile phone. Even if you wouldn't configure anything, the Devialet amps work like any other amp. Just plug in your sources and speakers and listen.
As for your streamer, I can't find where you wrote it now but I believe you are using your streamer's analog output now? If so, using it with Devialet will still give you a great sound. Just because you can do better by using a streamer with a digital output doesn't mean you won't get good quality with your analog output. Just see it as any other source with an analog output. It will sound great because the Devialet DAC is great.

Please try the configurator. It will answer a lot of your questions and will make you feel much more relaxed about setting up a Devialet.

Yes I have had a look at it and it does look simple enough. The 200 has to be more than an amp to me though as if that was the case I have a pretty decent one. Like I say there are loads of things that excite me about the Devialet, but in the end it all really boils down to sound quality, is it a significant improvement on what I have, because for me this is a significant amount of cash. I have demoed Linn and listened to some AR gear and I was not impressed. It was no better than what I have. In fact the Linn was bloody dull!!
I cant wait to hear the 200 with my kit, yes its a lot of cash for me but if the sound is as good as people say then its a definite purchase.

Many thanks for all your input over the last week or so it has been most helpful...and now am off to St James Park to get murdered off Man U Huh
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Ok after having the 200 at home on demo for less than 24 hours all I can say is if it is just an amp, its the best one I have ever heard. Smile

Awesome!
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Womaz,
can you give us a sense of how the Devialet (with SAM) compares to your MF amp?
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I will try, but I am not that good at describing music.
First the SAM - I dont think there is a massive difference with it on or off if I am honest , maybe a subtle change. The bass goes deeper is what I noticed. For some dance music I prefer to sat the SAM to 50%, but I really need to stop tweaking and just enjoy Big Grin

Dont forget my CLIC is connected to the line inputs and no digital connection, so it can only get better. Its also a brand new 200 so may even need some burn in, if you believe in all that stuff. I never did until I got my headphones and OMG I do now.

So here we go. First most notable difference is the bass is awesome. I mean I am no bass head and I have always felt a deeper bass means I cant hear some of the detail. Not with the 200 - the bass is simply outstanding - a massive surprise. My 23s have never given such a deep bass ever. I have always liked the bass with the MF PMC combo as it was punchy, but like I say the 200 just on a different level.

The detail is still there. I thought my MF-PMC gave great detail too, but it could sometimes get a bit bright with acoustic guitar and certain female voices. So the 200 has kept that but took away the brightness. It just sounds so musical.

The biggest surprise of all is that at low volumes its excellent, streets ahead of the MF. This is a surprise to me as I had heard this is a criticism some people level at the 200. Suppose it depends what you compare it to.

Few little niggles, like I am struggling to get my headphone amp set up and as its not my 200 yet I have to do the whole configuration from scratch every time as unable to save it yet.

What matters most is the music though - and that sounds great.

I have it for a week or so, after a few days I will put my MFM6i back in the system and see what I hear. That will determine whether it is worth the outlay.
Womaz,

The good news is that you don't have to be fiddling with re-configuration, installing up-dates, etc all the time.

Once you have your D200 configured to your personal specs it is all plain sailing from there.

One problem that I see in your set-up is that you need digital 1 and 2 inputs configured as pre-amplified outs for your headphones, and then you also need what could be digital 3 and 4 inputs configured as phono inputs for your CliC. This leaves no spare RCA digital inputs available. So where do you plug in your disc player?

I suppose that you could use the optical input but this is handy for connecting your TV.

I guess that this is one of the big advantages of going dual mono - it almost doubles your connectivity options.

One other thing that you should be aware of is that the D200 is (maybe, perhaps) at, or approaching, the half way point of it's life cycle before a hardware upgrade becomes available. This could require an extra (perhaps considerable) expense.

The hardware upgrade will almost surely be required for owners to stay on the regular software/firmware up-dates path.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
(08-Mar-2015, 07:02)gray Wrote: Womaz,

The good news is that you don't have to be fiddling with re-configuration, installing up-dates, etc all the time.

Once you have your D200 configured to your personal specs it is all plain sailing from there.

One problem that I see in your set-up is that you need digital 1 and 2 inputs configured as pre-amplified outs for your headphones, and then you also need what could be digital 3 and 4 inputs configured as phono inputs for your CliC. This leaves no spare RCA digital inputs available. So where do you plug in your disc player?

I suppose that you could use the optical input but this is handy for connecting your TV.

I guess that this is one of the big advantages of going dual mono - it almost doubles your connectivity options.

One other thing that you should be aware of is that the D200 is (maybe, perhaps) at, or approaching, the half way point of it's life cycle before a hardware upgrade becomes available. This could require an extra (perhaps considerable) expense.

The hardware upgrade will almost surely be required for owners to stay on the regular software/firmware up-dates path.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Can you just explain what you mean about a hardware upgrade and a major further expense. One the reasons I am considering the 200 , is the software upgrades and further improvements.
(08-Mar-2015, 10:44)Womaz Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 07:02)gray Wrote: r thing that you should be aware of is that the D200 is (maybe, perhaps) at, or approaching, the half way point of it's life cycle before a hardware upgrade becomes available. This could require an extra (perhaps considerable) expense.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Can you just explain what you mean about a hardware upgrade and a major further expense. One the reasons I am considering the 200 , is the software upgrades and further improvements.

Womaz,

I wouldn't worry about it.  The D170 as it was then started shipping in, I think June or July 2013.  I assume that gray's comment refers to the statement made by a Devialet employee that they expect products to have around a 4 year life span so he's quite rightly saying that "maybe, perhaps" it's nearly half way through that time.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, maybe at some time in the future a hardware upgrade will be necessary to keep the amp absolutely up to current spec. or maybe it won't...

The truth is your 200 won't sound any worse if you don't want to pay for a future h/w upgrade. At least Devialet do offer free s/w upgrades some manufacturers don't even do thatSmile

Regards,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(08-Mar-2015, 10:55)PhilP Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 10:44)Womaz Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 07:02)gray Wrote: r thing that you should be aware of is that the D200 is (maybe, perhaps) at, or approaching, the half way point of it's life cycle before a hardware upgrade becomes available. This could require an extra (perhaps considerable) expense.

Womaz,

I wouldn't worry about it.  The D170 as it was then started shipping in, I think June or July 2013.  I assume that gray's comment refers to the statement made by a Devialet employee that they expect products to have around a 4 year life span so he's quite rightly saying that "maybe, perhaps" it's nearly half way through that time.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, maybe at some time in the future a hardware upgrade will be necessary to keep the amp absolutely up to current spec. or maybe it won't...

The truth is your 200 won't sound any worse if you don't want to pay for a future h/w upgrade. At least Devialet do offer free s/w upgrades some manufacturers don't even do thatSmile

Regards,

Philip

Ah right, i think there is always that concern with hifi. Just one of those things.
It's just a hunch, but looking at everything that is happening with the Phantom range at the moment, I wouldn't expect an announcement of the new "expert" range any time soon.