Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms delivered this afternoon
(07-Mar-2015, 15:54)thumb5 Wrote: Sorry to hear the Phantoms have given you a hard time.  Hopefully it's all "just software", as they say.

And...not a serious problem with your 250, I hope?

Well both my 250s had problems reading SD cards when they came back from being updated from D-Premiers. The master (the one which still reads 24/192 on optical) failed to latch the card, but read it fine, it was just a faff getting it out, the companion sometimes failed to read the card, resulting as it switching on as a default mode 250 about half the time.
I returned them both for repair, the master came back fine and the companion had the same fault. Not wanting the faff of returning it I left it as it was and just put up with often having to switch on a few times (or remove and put back the card). It seemed to be getting worse and a couple of times wouldn't switch on at all and after a bit of diagnostics with the help team a faulty DUET board was diagnosed and it is back having it replaced. I have asked for them to fit a 24/192 compatible optical 1 input if possible too, but had no reply on that so far.
Interestingly, it worked perfectly as a 250 in default mode.

I wonder how many other problems I had put down to software may be hardware. I am hoping the stereo image goes back to being as good as my dual mono D-Premiers had been when it comes back.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Similar problems Spark is not the brightest spark in the bunch.
My biggest frustration is not being able to connect to my NAS drive.
The usb and optical in on dialog are not yet functional or at least I cannot make them function.
So right now optical in from apple tv sounds ok to good , however limited to 44k, but not the best solution.
Sound - amazing bass - not just loud but rich and punchy and the louder you play there is no stress - using spark at a setting of 55 -60 volume was the loudest I would go without scaring the dog ( and neighbours)
Mids very good, highs to my ears were somewhat strident - hoping it is the apple tv.
Stereo imaging very good.
Overall fit and finish excellent but let down by incomplete software implementation
If any one has been able to connect a usb drive or optical in to dialog let me know .
Thx
(07-Mar-2015, 17:22)davidadamson Wrote: Similar problems Spark is not the brightest spark in the bunch.
My biggest frustration is not being able to connect to my NAS drive.
The usb and optical in on dialog are not yet functional or at least I cannot make them function.
So right now optical in from apple tv sounds ok to good , however limited to 44k, but not the best solution.
Sound - amazing bass - not just loud but rich and punchy and the louder you play there is no stress - using spark at a setting of 55 -60 volume was the loudest I would go without scaring the dog ( and neighbours)
Mids very good, highs to my ears were somewhat strident - hoping it is the apple tv.
Stereo imaging very good.
Overall fit and finish excellent but let down by incomplete software implementation
If any one has been able to connect a usb drive or optical in to dialog let me know .
Thx

I tried optical output from my CD transport to the Dialog and there is nowhere in the software to switch it on. I tried a CD but not surprisingly what can't be seen in the software can't be heard on the hardware.
The optical inputs on each Phantom can be switched on but I haven't connected to them.
Using Spark from both laptop and iMac worked well some of the time. Spark found all the music folders I pointed it at too. Did you try pointing Spark at your NAS music file from "add music"?
I haven't tried a NAS, but it worked for me pointing Spark at the music file on my iMac via the network whilst running Spark on the laptop, so should work that way with a NAS. I haven't switched my NAS drive on for months but will try after I get Spark running fault free long enough to listen to a whole CD rip. 
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Can we see some pictures of spark app? I would like to see how it looks.
(07-Mar-2015, 18:19)dr.sah Wrote: Can we see some pictures of spark app? I would like to see how it looks.

Not from me I'm afraid, one needs to post pictures on the internet to fix them here, and I don't do that. I'm sure somebody else will though.
Mind you there are a lot of pages, and a lot of functionality has not been made available at all yet, so I am not sure what you are hoping to see.
Oxfordshire

Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the forum, so howdy :-)

I bought 3 Phantoms about 3 weeks ago from Harrods on the very first day they opened up for demonstrations. I remember being bowled over by them. Me and this other guy sat in the listening room and after about 10 mins he bought a pair straight there and then. I asked him how much his current rig was worth and what he planned to do with the Phantoms. He said he was going to replace everything he had (about £11K's worth) and replace that with the Phantoms. I saw him pay and walk out with a pair.

I couldn't act so quickly, because I had to consult the wife. She was happy to oblige, so two days after auditioning them, I bought 3 and one Dialog and the stands (but they won't be delivered until the summer). However, it is only in the last few days that I've had time to set them up. They have been sitting in my living room all that time, un-boxed.

I must admit I struggled setting them up. My main problem is that I have a Meridian Sooloos Core 15 (ripper and library in one unit). This only has a coaxial out, which of course can't be connected directly to a Phantom. So I tried various convertors etc all in vain. It got to the point I was thinking either having to sell the Sooloos or the Phantoms. Any case, long story short I found out that Meridian do a little unit that has a digital out and I put that between the Sooloos and the Phantom and voila!! It works.

Now to the Spark app. Yeah, very much beta in my opinion. It is very buggy, but it has the kernel of something that I can see developing into something very slick, but it is not there as yet. I've tried it on an iphone and an android device and neither work that well.

The sound. In a word, for me, brilliant. Things I have noted that make it is good IMHO are these observations. If you like listening to loud distortion free music, then it fits the bell. I have only managed to crank it up to about 60 and that is very, very loud. Depending on the recording, 35 is more than adequate, which bring me onto my next point. This is a system that you don't have to play loud to engage with the music. I'm coming from having a pair of mono blocks, 802 B&W Diamonds etc and that was good, but typically in this and all the other set-ups I've had, volume was the key to bringing out all the detail in a track. This is different. You can play something at a low level and still 'feel' the bass and all the other little things going on. So this makes for a more relaxing listening experience because the volume can stay low, without sacrificing detail. The other thing is that bass. Wow. Try playing a track with a lot of proper bass (not dance track music), but something like Marcus Miller. At any volume his guitar is hitting your guts. Incredible. I also use my Phantoms as part of my HT. I notice that dialog is crystal clear, better than my B&W's. Try 'Wolf Hall' where everybody seems to mutter on a normal pair of speakers. On these, dialog is crystal clear. And that same effect translates back into the music. On the mids and trebles there is a real sense of air. You would think everything that is going on in such a small box would be a muddle. But it is not. Really good separation all through the range.

I've still got to un-box and set up my third Phantom, but that won't happen until my stands come through. I want to set up a 3.0 system (as Arif at Harrods described it) so that I have a substitute for my 5.1 system. On the basis on just the two I've heard so far, it should be brilliant.

In conclusion, I think the fact that one can have an audiophile setup without a zillion boxes is so appealing and its nice to dispense with the clutter. Of course if you are into hi-fi to tweek, try things out etc then this system is not going to appeal; its far too simple for that. If you just want to listen to music, knowing everything is taken care of then give it a go.
(07-Mar-2015, 20:03)stonedragon Wrote: Hi Guys,

I bought 3 Phantoms about 3 weeks ago from Harrods on the very first day they opened up for demonstrations. I remember being bowled over by them. Me and this other guy sat in the listening room and after about 10 mins he bought a pair straight there and then. I asked him how much his current rig was worth and what he planned to do with the Phantoms. He said he was going to replace everything he had (about £11K's worth) and replace that with the Phantoms. I saw him pay and walk out with a pair.

I couldn't act so quickly, because I had to consult the wife. She was happy to oblige, so two days after auditioning them, I bought 3 and one Dialog and the stands (but they won't be delivered until the summer). However, it is only in the last few days that I've had time to set them up. They have been sitting in my living room all that time, un-boxed.

I must admit I struggled setting them up. My main problem is that I have a Meridian Sooloos Core 15 (ripper and library in one unit). This only has a coaxial out, which of course can't be connected directly to a Phantom. So I tried various convertors etc all in vain. It got to the point I was thinking either having to sell the Sooloos or the Phantoms. Any case, long story short I found out that Meridian do a little unit that has a digital out and I put that between the Sooloos and the Phantom and voila!! It works.

Now to the Spark app. Yeah, very much beta in my opinion. It is very buggy, but it has the kernel of something that I can see developing into something very slick, but it is not there as yet. I've tried it on an iphone and an android device and neither work that well.

The sound. In a word, for me, brilliant. Things I have noted that make it is good IMHO are these observations. If you like listening to loud distortion free music, then it fits the bell. I have only managed to crank it up to about 60 and that is very, very loud. Depending on the recording, 35 is more than adequate, which bring me onto my next point. This is a system that you don't have to play loud to engage with the music. I'm coming from having a pair of mono blocks, 802 B&W Diamonds etc and that was good, but typically in this and all the other set-ups I've had, volume was the key to bringing out all the detail in a track. This is different. You can play something at a low level and still 'feel' the bass and all the other little things going on. So this makes for a more relaxing listening experience because the volume can stay low, without sacrificing detail. The other thing is that bass. Wow. Try playing a track with a lot of proper bass (not dance track music), but something like Marcus Miller. At any volume his guitar is hitting your guts. Incredible. I also use my Phantoms as part of my HT. I notice that dialog is crystal clear, better than my B&W's. Try 'Wolf Hall' where everybody seems to mutter on a normal pair of speakers. On these, dialog is crystal clear. And that same effect translates back into the music. On the mids and trebles there is a real sense of air. You would think everything that is going on in such a small box would be a muddle. But it is not. Really good separation all through the range.

I've still got to un-box and set up my third Phantom, but that won't happen until my stands come through. I want to set up a 3.0 system (as Arif at Harrods described it) so that I have a substitute for my 5.1 system. On the basis on just the two I've heard so far, it should be brilliant.

In conclusion, I think the fact that one can have an audiophile setup without a zillion boxes is so appealing and its nice to dispense with the clutter. Of course if you are into hi-fi to tweek, try things out etc then this system is not going to appeal; its far too simple for that. If you just want to listen to music, knowing everything is taken care of then give it a go.

Hi stonedragon and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for a clear and unbiased opinion on these, from what you say there should be a good future for these if you go in without prejudice and use your ears.

Hope they are not better than my existing system as the wife will kill me !!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(07-Mar-2015, 20:03)stonedragon Wrote: Hi Guys,

Are you using a Dialog, and if so how are you connecting your Control 15 to it?

I have had one on its own working fine (without a Dialog) obviously in mono, but have had only a short time of working (badly) in stereo using the Dialog, and now having reset the Phantoms which were stuttering or cutting out, I can't even re-set them up, Spark hangs at the stage of "setting up your Phantoms this could take 1 or 2 minutes" and after ten minutes I can't stand the warbling tone any more and give up...

I have unplugged everything and await a reply from customer service.

I also can't register them on "my maison" where my other Devialets are registered, invalid serial number so probably expert and Phantom have different owners pages???

I have to say the SQ was very good during the few minutes I have had them working before Spark crashed and subsequently only having 1 speaker playing.

My Dialog box smells hot, but that could be newness.
Oxfordshire

re: f1eng and problems

I've just set-up my silver phantoms and dialog today as well and I'm encountering the same problems. That noise that the phantoms make drive you to pulling your hair out coupled with the never ending configuration hang - I'm really disappointed in Devialet. All these things should have been ironed out before it was sent out to final customers. I just can't make them work now.
Well a single one in mono works fine.
If I unplug my Dialog and one Phantom the setup is quick and easy and it works without dropouts and sounds good, but it makes me realise what a huge improvement stereo is, good sound coming from one point is nowhere near as satisfying.
Oxfordshire