Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power supply noise - standby & when turned off
Hi,

just got my new Devialet 120 and found the following problem:

When not playing, or in standby or even if turned off the amp makes a permanent noise that
one can hear standing up to two meters away.

Is comparable to the noise of a mini hardisk running (e.g. in IPods classic) or the noise of
a cooling fan of a notebook.

Of course, neither a harddisk nor a cooling fan in built in! If a remove the amp from power, the
noise stops. So this has certainly to do with the power supply.

Is this normal? Do I have to worry about this? What can I do to minimize this noise?

Kind regards,

Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
Hi Knud

I think you should get it exchanged. The Devialet should be silent.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(11-Mar-2015, 09:58)knud0 Wrote: Hi,

When not playing, or in standby or even if turned off the amp makes a permanent noise that

Is comparable to the noise of a mini hardisk running (e.g. in IPods classic) or the noise of

Of course, neither a harddisk nor a cooling fan in built in! If a remove the amp from power, the

Is this normal? Do I have to worry about this? What can I do to minimize this noise?

Kind regards,

Knud

Do you connect your D directly to the wall power outlet or do you use some power treatment or power conditioner. Sometime ago I found power conditioners to introduce a noise in an amp, though not the D.
(11-Mar-2015, 11:25)Mohmm Wrote:
(11-Mar-2015, 09:58)knud0 Wrote: Hi,

Kind regards,

Knud

Do you connect your D directly to the wall power outlet or do you use some power treatment or power conditioner. Sometime ago I found power conditioners to introduce a noise in an amp, though not the D.

Hello,

thanks for your message!

At the moment, I've a normal power distributor with 4 slots connected to wall power outlet. No additional treatment.

Thanks,
Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
Devialet claims there's nothing to worry about:
https://help.devialet.com/entries/234072...n-stand-by
I'm glad someone else posted this comment. I was very surprised that I could hear this noise too on my D200. A hard noise to describe, I thought of it almost as the 'chattering' of a computer CPU or whatever.
I do think I've got sensitive hearing but mine's audible enough to hear a few metres away (although very faintly), and noticeably with my ear a few inches away. I don't think it will distract from music, but it's a shame I understood the device would be silent. There's actually more noise coming from the chattering of the unit than there is as noise out of the tweeter, which is virtually non existent.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(01-May-2015, 23:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm glad someone else posted this comment. I was very surprised that I could hear this noise too on my D200. A hard noise to describe, I thought of it almost as the 'chattering' of a computer CPU or whatever.
I do think I've got sensitive hearing but mine's audible enough to hear a few metres away (although very faintly), and noticeably with my ear a few inches away. I don't think it will distract from music, but it's a shame I understood the device would be silent. There's actually more noise coming from the chattering of the unit than there is as noise out of the tweeter, which is virtually non existent.

Hi

We have discussed this topic in a previous thread:
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=444&page=3

In the meantime I've heard nothing back from Devialet and I had the opportunity to hear 4 additional Devialets: two 200 (purchased in 2015), one 120 (purchased in 2015) and an old non-upgraded D-Premier (from ?). They all have it, the D-Premier was the worst. I have yet to see a completely silent Devialet in person. Until I do, I do not really believe they exist anymore or have ever existed. Maybe there was once a series of perfect power supplies, but not anymore.

I have also another theory. Some people simply are not able to hear it as I've experienced it with a friend, while I clearly did. So I'm certainly more sensitive.

There is nothing you can do about the noise except unplugging your Devialet...
(02-May-2015, 07:58)runlonger Wrote: Hi

We have discussed this topic in a previous thread:
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=444&page=3

In the meantime I've heard nothing back from Devialet and I had the opportunity to hear 4 additional Devialets: two 200 (purchased in 2015), one 120 (purchased in 2015) and an old non-upgraded D-Premier (from ?). They all have it, the D-Premier was the worst. I have yet to see a completely silent Devialet in person. Until I do, I do not really believe they exist anymore or have ever existed. Maybe there was once a series of perfect power supplies, but not anymore.

I have also another theory. Some people simply are not able to hear it as I've experienced it with a friend, while I clearly did. So I'm certainly more sensitive.

There is nothing you can do about the noise except unplugging your Devialet...

I have a 250 upgraded from D-Premier. Completely silent before and after upgrade. The amps should be silent. What Devialet says on their help pages is bs written to avoid taking back a lot of amplifiers to fix the noise. Pity none of the reviewers have had this problem with their test samples and commented on it. I guess Devialet checks the units before shipping them off to reviewers. I would return the noisy unit to my dealer and ask for a replacement.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he's going to chat it Devialet. Let's see what happens.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I've certainly never heard anything from my 200. Maybe I have too much ambient noise or crappy hearing in all honesty.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2