Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn SPACE Optimization

I was not sure whether to post this in the streamers section or here n the tweaker's corner but I felt here would be more appropriate

Linn has launched SPACE Optimisation. ‘SPACE’ stands for ‘Speaker Placement And Custom Environment’. This software builds an acoustic model of the listening environment based on the choice and placement of speakers, as well as the properties of the listening room.
It is designed to remove the unwanted distorting effects of a room. The point is to take the room out of the equation, regardless of how much glass, concrete or partition walling you may have. The software is even capable of emulating your speakers’ ideal position, so you can place them wherever you want.
All Linn network music players will get SPACE Optimisation. New products will come with the software pre-loaded, while existing units will get it via a software upgrade.
If you have a Linn Exakt system, you’ll benefit from SPACE Optimisation+. This takes things further by modelling the acoustic response of each individual drive unit.

More here to what sounds as a SAM competitor but needs H/W upgrade, Linn announced also good news for owners of Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond speakers: Linn is announcing Exaktbox support for you.
The speakers can be "upgraded" (in Linn's words) with a reversible operation to bypass the speaker’s passive crossover. An Exakt conversion kit is attached to the end of the 802s, to be connected to an Akurate Exaktbox, which performs the crossover digitally.
Exakt technology then aims to eliminate distortion, corrects for drive unit variation, and optimises the performance based on the room.

What do you guys think?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Here is a Vimeo video about the Linn Space Optimisation concept:

I'm just wondering if it only does work on the analog out of the Linn ***** DS(M).
Linn does have it's own digital connection they do call 'Exact'. This will not be compatible with Devialet, I assume. They do claim however that it is superior in the Exact connection, calling it 'Space Optimisation+'

For the existing Linn DS's there will be an upgrade programm. An upgrade board for the Akurate DS will cost 2239€. An upgrade from Akurate DS to the newest Akurate DSM will cost 3570€.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(17-Mar-2015, 15:03)Charlemagne Wrote: Here is a Vimeo video about the Linn Space Optimisation concept:

I'm just wondering if it only does work on the analog out of the Linn ***** DS(M).
Linn does have it's own digital connection they do call 'Exact'. This will not be compatible with Devialet, I assume. They do claim however that it is superior in the Exact connection, calling it 'Space Optimisation+'

For the existing Linn DS's there will be an upgrade programm. An upgrade board for the Akurate DS will cost 2239€. An upgrade from Akurate DS to the newest Akurate DSM will cost 3570€.

Hi ChM,

I understand that Space Optimisation will be available to all DS users via a firmware update. In fact I am going to try it since I have a couple of Linn streamers here.

There is a new range of DS streamers coming out with improved clocks and electronics and there is an upgrade programme which involves sending your unit back to the factory to have the new parts retrofitted. 

Space Optimisation + obviously takes things to the next level with digital crossovers and individual speaker drivers being modelled in the software. For this you need an Exakt compliant DSM or DS with Exakt connectors... I know, it's very complicated! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Here are a couple of screen shots taken from Linn Konfig, which is the app that runs on your computer:

There are actually quite a few non-Linn speakers to choose from including Kef Blade and lots of B&W models...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I guess there is a few of us out here that hopes that Devialet will answer this by adding support for convolver.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
I listened to a Linn Akurate DS Exact system before I plumped for the 200.

Dull , dull, dull..........I think it cost around 17k from what I remember, and it did nothing for me at all. Linn appealed because of the reputation and the upgrades etc.Then someone steered me towards the 200......and what a blessing that has been.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
It's always been the Linn speakers that have let down the side for me. The electronics are brilliant, but I find more detail and transparency with Devialet which happen to be attributes I really like. Exakt systems are definitely more detailed than the previous-generation ones though (such as the Klimax DS/KK that I owned previously and am much more familiar with). The software is also getting really good. Five years ago or so they struggled a bit and even UPnP was a bit flaky but it's all pretty rock solid now.
The Akurate is one option i may consider as a source later on, although I sense that may be a little bit of overkill.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I got the feedback from Devialet that room correction should be available by Q3 2015.
(15-Apr-2015, 22:13)markush Wrote: I got the feedback from Devialet that room correction should be available by Q3 2015.

You mean really reliable feedback? That would be awesome.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.