Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and USB cables
Oh sorry - Yes!!! The first week was quite painful. It seemed OK to start with, sounded 'nice' for a bit,then it seemed to deteriorate a bit - the soundstage collapsed for instance and it just sounded boring. I was really considering sending it back. A few days later, probably after 8 days of constant running it finally opened out soundstage and top-end frequency wise. It's sounding really good now, and consistent.
This is the most difficult cable run-in I've experienced, maybe with the exception of speaker cables (oh and Chord Sarum analogue interconnects were a pain in the ass too). The filter electronics probably has a bit of a bearing this.
(26-Jun-2015, 17:06)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Oh sorry - Yes!!! The first week was quite painful. It seemed OK to start with, sounded 'nice' for a bit,then it seemed to deteriorate a bit - the soundstage collapsed for instance and it just sounded boring. I was really considering sending it back. A few days later, probably after 8 days of constant running it finally opened out soundstage and top-end frequency wise. It's sounding really good now, and consistent.
This is the most difficult cable run-in I've experienced, maybe with the exception of speaker cables (oh and Chord Sarum analogue interconnects were a pain in the ass too). The filter electronics probably has a bit of a bearing this.

Your run-in experience with TotalDac USB cable is encouraging me to give iFi Mercury USB a second chance as I only gave it a three day chance and maybe that was not enough to fully break it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Today i receive my brand new Totaldac D1 USB cable, don't have any opinion on sound yet but have very curios question
What inside this BLACK BOX ?
did someone you know opened it ?
I searched whole internet but didn't found any photo on what inside this box.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(01-Jul-2015, 19:16)Stigmater Wrote: Today i receive my brand new Totaldac D1 USB cable, don't have any opinion on sound yet but have very curios question
What inside this BLACK BOX  ?

Why not email Vincent and ask him?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It's very interesting that almost everyone posting here can hear differences between USB cables. In other similar threads on other forums there is a very vocal community who insist that as USB cables carry 1's and 0's only for the sound signal, it is impossible for USB cables to sound different to each other. - i.e. Either they work or they don't.
I'm not trying to be confrontational or clever, but could what we are hearing (I hear differences too) be down to placebo effects due to the knowledge that we just handed over a lot of money for a short piece of shielded copper wire?

In other words, is there any science that we can trust, to show that USB cables are capable  of sounding different?
Today i receive my brand new Totaldac D1 USB cable, don't have any opinion on sound yet but have very curios question

Lots of FOO or WOOHOO - very expensive stuff too let me add.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(01-Jul-2015, 19:36)NickB Wrote: Today i receive my brand new Totaldac D1 USB cable, don't have any opinion on sound yet but have very curios question

Lots of FOO or WOOHOO - very expensive stuff too let me add.

I doubt it somehow. Vincent bases a lot of what he does on measurements, take a look at his website and you'll see this. He is a very serious engineer and a dedicated audiophile. His day job is building DACs.

As for pricing at £300 or so that's peanuts in so-called "foo" world. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(01-Jul-2015, 19:31)Infiniteloop Wrote: It's very interesting that almost everyone posting here can hear differences between USB cables. In other similar threads on other forums there is a very vocal community who insist that as USB cables carry 1's and 0's only for the sound signal, it is impossible for USB cables to sound different to each other. - i.e. Either they work or they don't.
I'm not trying to be confrontational or clever, but could what we are hearing (I hear differences too) be down to placebo effects due to the knowledge that we just handed over a lot of money for a short piece of shielded copper wire?

In other words, is there any science that we can trust, to show that USB cables are capable  of sounding different?

The 0 and 1 discussion is over among the advanced. Those who still cling to 'bits are bits' are not listening, just arguing...
I would say that the UpTone Regen device should be enough proof that the USB link is vulnerable. There is quite a big improvement in sound with the Regen connected in most setups. And no, it is not placebo.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I wonder what is the functional difference between the UpTone Regen and the black box of the Totaldac Usb cable? Also would they supplement each other or not?
Also Audioquest's jitterbug should be available soon. If that one would be of similar benefit I would prefer it because of its tiny size (and price).
(01-Jul-2015, 20:04)ogs Wrote: The 0 and 1 discussion is over among the advanced. Those who still cling to 'bits are bits' are not listening, just arguing...

I think you're presenting this as a false dichotomy.  Whether or not you think "bits are bits" from the point of view of the data being transmitted correctly, surely there are other ways that a USB (or Ethernet) cable could affect the sound quality of a sensitive (or badly designed) receiver?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK