Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and USB cables
Trying to convince someone who clearly and repeatedly hears differences between cables is like trying to convince someone who's eating an apple that he's eating a banana. It won't work, you're not bursting any bubbles.

Just be happy that you can't hear a difference, saves you a lot of money. Please don't try to force it on anyone.

PS: most everyone in this hobby knows differences between power cables or most any other cable don't show up in acoustical measurements. They're simply not accurate enough and focus mostly on frequency amplitude response.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Dear Antoine, I'm not forcing anything on anyone,
I'm just sharing my experience based on facts that I hear wit my relatively young ears.
All I want is a good discussion on the subject nothing more , for sure not selling to someone my printer cable even though its sound same as 370€ totaldac cable Smile it was only a joke, if someone didn't understood it.

PS. Maybe you should consider Printer USB cable test, just for fun, what do you say ? Maybe do it blind test? The result could surprise you Smile

Trust me , when I did the test I really wanted D1 to sound better.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(11-Jul-2015, 00:43)Stigmater Wrote: As well you can check following link , it's not in English but looking on pictures there will be enough to understand that some one is doing millions on our audiophile blind religion.
(Basically same as with any other religion , but thats for different forums ).
http://nerds.dk/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8393

[Image: file.php?id=2234&sid=2e19dde65ce7759450398249aa3995c7]
Sorry for bursting someone's bubble Wink
Don't hate me, I'm in the same boat.

That reminds me to my experience with power cables many years ago. I ordered a 1m Audience PowerKord and got 4m. They refunded me for the difference and told me to just terminate it at 1m. When I did that I discovered that there was just some Mogami cable under that black braid. So be aware of braids and shrink tubing. A good way to hide the real origin of stuff and in my opinion it looks not especially attractive anyhow.
I think Audience does not use Mogami cables anymore. If some cheap cable works great but don't sell it for 10 to 100 times more!
Entreq did admit that they use cables off the shelf in a few of their products but enhance them using different plugs, sheathing, ground drain connection etc. I have a feeling a lot of manufacturers do this because surely the cost of actually making a cable must be pretty high? I guess they must do a limited run at an existing cable manufacturer? I can't imagine too many manufacturers having the facilities to draw the cables.
I wonder how many audophile cable sellers test lots of different cables from (say) Alibaba and listen out for the best-sounding ones.

PS I have used printer cables. They make the right noises but for me that extra 'something' does come from a more expensive cable. It's frustrating with this hobby because you can get within 90-95% of good sound with cheap-ish components but that last few percent the cost seems to go up exponentially.

Oh and the Totaldac does look suspiciously like a commodity cable with a box of tricks added!
Some companies seem to use other brands end components like crystal cable/nordost use furutech RCA/power plugs.

then others like entreq use other brands cables with their own (hopefully) end connectors.

I wonder how many companies completely use other brands wire and end connectors and just rebrand it as their own
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I truely believe that cables sound different, but given that I forked out 600 € last week for a usb cable, and after reading the last few comments in this thread, it does somehow give me the incentive to reality check what I am spending my money on and try to trust my ears more than the price tag ...  Confused
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I think I can easily hear differences between power cables in my system and whenever I try alternative cables I usually like them. However, when I go back to the standard cable I'm just as happy without them...

I haven't tried many USB cables but the differences between the Chord Sarum TA USB cable and my Canon USB printer cable would, I think, have been obvious to anyone. Despite this IMO the price of the Chord cable is absurd and unjustifiable on the basis of material content and I personally wouldn't buy one.

The Entreq USB cable split down above is a helpful reminder of the poor value for money offered by many "high-end" "manufacturers and doesn't come as a surprise.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I've had the TotalDac D1 USB cable for some time now and really like it but I received an official promotional offer for the Synergistic Research Galileo LE USB Cable ($1995/1 meter length). The price was $995.00 and a Synergistic Precision AC power cord. Since buying the Devialet, I have been selling my excess cables and cords but I still had on Precision AC cord in the house.

I didn't think twice... It is still burning in but so far it is gorgeous Heart . I'll hang on to the TotalDac D1 just in case. Time to sell a few more items Wink  so that I can break even (is there such a thing for audiophiles).
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
When i started to use my mac mini as a source i got from a friend a wireworld violet usb cable which is around 50 bucks. Then all my friends got from core audio a usb cable with a separate 5 volt line and a regulator for around 400 bucks. The difference between the cables were really big. The wireworld har bright and edgy highs, porr bass. The core audio cable was in a very different league, smooth and relaxed highs, much better defind bass. I think the usb cable is the most critical cable in a system, probably because it carries not only the data but power as well!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Ok I am resurrecting this old thread.
I guess I am a bit of a cable skeptic as last year I tried some different speaker cables and could not hear any difference from what I remember, but I admit to still feeling a little intrigued by this subject.
I have now been further intrigued as I have just had an experience with my Headphone cable. I will try and keep this short but over a year ago I bought the HEK headphone and the stock cable at 3m was not long enough so I just bought a cheap replacement cable off ebay from the USA. It was just over £100 from what I remember. I did not bother doing a comparison as the stock cable was too short anyway.
So today I did that comparison and the difference was huge even to these 53 year old ears. The Ela cable off Ebay is way superior and the stock cable is really muffled and cloudy by comparison. The difference is not subtle, it is very noticeable.

So thats got me thinking about this USB cable again. I own the Telleriium Q Blue USB for no other reason than I have used their cables for last 10 years or so. I am now going to buy a cheap AQ Pearl £20 cable to see if I can hear any difference.

Xmas holidays and all this time on my hands Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England