Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS Audio P3 for D400 + Montis
High all. As some of you may have noticed I'm in a tweaking phase. Trying different power cables, different interconnects, etc...

Lately I noticed that my PS Audio Dectet Power Center cuts off and its led keeps flashing and when that happens I have to disconnect from the wall outlet and reconnect again for power to flow to my system. I'm not sure why is that but I think it is time to do something about it.

I'm considering PS Audio P3 but I'm not sure if it has enough capacity to handle the demands of the two D200 units of my D400 plus of course the two built in amps of the Montis? On PS Audio website the features section states an output of 750 VA but I'm not sure if this will suffice. Or should I step up to the P5 with its output of 1250 VA?

Lastly, should I actually stick with PS Audio or are there other brands for power regeneration? Shunyata maybe? Other brands?

Thanks
Amgad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hello I have a PS audio P3 with my D250. It is more than enough for D250/D800. I think it is using only around 1/10 of the capacity for my D250 but I will check this number again. No idea about your other devices.

PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(18-Mar-2015, 16:15)philoouu Wrote: Hello I have a PS audio P3 with my D250. It is more than enough for D250/D800. I think it is using only around 1/10 of the capacity for my D250 but I will check this number again. No idea about your other devices.

thanks for chiming in. ideally it should serve the following components:

D400
Montis (with built in 200W amp per speaker)
Aurender X100L
Denon DCD1520
Denon DNP720
Linksys network bridge/extender
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
According to the spec the 400's power supply can deliver 3000W peak so neither the P3 or P5 can provide enough power to enable the 400 to reach its full potential.

In nomal use at lower volume levels maybe you won't notice?
Why not give the system a try with the PS audio looking after the low power stuff, such as the Aurender, and run the Devialet and Montis direct from the mains? It is just possible that you will notice an improvement in dynamics etc. Worth a try? At least it won't cost anything to give it a go.
(18-Mar-2015, 22:40)Confused Wrote: Why not give the system a try with the PS audio looking after the low power stuff, such as the Aurender, and run the Devialet and Montis direct from the mains?  It is just possible that you will notice an improvement in dynamics etc.  Worth a try?  At least it won't cost anything to give it a go.

Good suggestion. There are plenty of reports of conditioners compressing dynamics when used with a Devialet including Kunter's posts in this thread:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=223
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(18-Mar-2015, 16:30)amabrok Wrote:
(18-Mar-2015, 16:15)philoouu Wrote: Hello I have a PS audio P3 with my D250. It is more than enough for D250/D800. I think it is using only around 1/10 of the capacity for my D250 but I will check this number again. No idea about your other devices.

D400
Aurender X100L
Denon DCD1520
Denon DNP720

Hello

Please have a look at Antoine's comment 

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...AC/page125

As you can see in normal use it is less than 10% of the capacity with a few devices plugged in.

The good point with the PS3 is that it makes absolutely no noise and compared to PS5/PS10 it is much smaller.
Honestly speaking more than improving the sound it makes your set-up more consistent from one day to the other. Contrary to very subjective improvements due to (expensive or not) cables, this device is objectively changing the current entering your system.

philoouu
(19-Mar-2015, 03:31)philoouu Wrote:
(18-Mar-2015, 16:30)amabrok Wrote:

D400
Aurender X100L
Denon DCD1520
Denon DNP720

Hello

Please have a look at Antoine's comment 

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...AC/page125

As you can see in normal use it is less than 10% of the capacity with a few devices plugged in.

The good point with the PS3 is that it makes absolutely no noise and compared to PS5/PS10 it is much smaller.
Honestly speaking more than improving the sound it makes your set-up more consistent from one day to the other. Contrary to very subjective improvements due to (expensive or not) cables, this device is objectively changing the current entering your system.

philoouu

Thanks Philoouu, much appreciated.

I'm really struggling here! On the one hand I hear this very positive feedback and I like the concept and style of PS Audio and on paper the P3 caters to all my needs. On the other I hear conflicting views on how unreliable the product is and i hear stories on malfunctioning that doesn't only render the power plant useless but also damaging other components connected to it. Moreover, I hear that PS Audio has substandard customer support? Also I heard/read views on how it may have negative impact on sound quality and dynamics maybe by over filtering?!

The challenge here is that my local dealer no longer carry the brand which means I cannot try to judge for myself.

In my scope of consideration now is the Shunyata Triton or the Triton/Typhon combo and also Isotek.

Currently I'm testing the Isotek Evo3 Solus and I have to say it is very good. Better than my PS Audio Dectet.

Any additional thoughts / recommendations?

Dubai, UAE
ps audio is generally good for components but less for amps.
people buy non-restricting conditioners for amps and ps audio for sources.
if you buy lets say Shunyata combo - it will be good for other amps too if you decide to switch down the road.
plus it will work for 20amp dedicated lines.
I've been very happy with PS Audio power conditioners for many years (P300, PPP, P3) and have had great results with my D250 + iMac + Sonos + AppleTV. The P3 never breaks a sweat, never seen more than 170 watts output. I live in an area where the AC line frequently sags to 104v, so the P3 is definitely an improvement.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.