Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Questions from New D200 Owner...
I have recently acquired a D200 and am new to this site. Actually I have been a very interested reader for some time whilst I was deliberating and so thanks to all the organisers and posters for the very useful info.

My previous system was a combination of Benchmark DAC1 and T+A (R-series) integrated amp and separate decoder along with Piega C3 & C2 LTD (and Piega subwoofer MKII). I really wanted to simplify my system and eliminate as many cables and remotes as possible and still maintain (or improve) the sonics. I had toyed with the idea of a Naim SuperUniti but became intrigued by the very innovative and aesthetic approach of Devialet, not to mention the widespread good reviews. So here I am, having doubled my original budget! I am based in Moscow but managed to find a dealer who had a demo D120 on offer. I initially took this and was immediately impressed by the very sweet-sounding delivery. However, there was no subwoofer board available and I was also concerned about max power for my Piegas so decided to swap it for the D200 which I now have which is a brand new unit.

I read from another poster here about being “sceptical but gullible”. This describes me also and having never believed in the concept of “burn-in”, I now find myself reconsidering. The D200 is not (yet) as sweet as the D120 (still seems a little rough around the edges) but I have the impression after 1 week that it is improving.. This may be psychological but this is how it seems. For sure I am now very much hoping that burn-in is real and that my new toy will continue to get better! In any event it is at least on the same level as my previous system, if not significantly better, but is way simpler (fewer boxes, cables and remotes), and looks much sleeker.

I am running the unit using MacMini/iTunes via USB and AIR over Ethernet (via switch, not direct) and prefer the AIR slightly but will keep experimenting. I have connected the subwoofer via mono with one cable but am not yet happy with the integration and will try stereo and play with the settings. In fact, I have just ordered new subwoofer cables as well as a whole bunch of other new cables (nothing special but I hope basic good quality). I am not really expecting any audible improvements but do expect reliability and longevity (I am generally very sceptical - potentially gullible! - about cables, especially digital ones).

I have a couple of initial questions if I may. Is Devialet planning a better remote concept? The remote itself is great but one aspect seems massively flawed to me: In my view the display on the main unit should be replicated on the remote to provide user feedback. I find myself walking over to the unit to confirm button pushes, particularly source changes, and this surely defeats the objective of a remote? Of course it is possible to use an iPhone but this is fiddly requiring clearing of the lock screen, launching of the app, etc. And the remote is otherwise beautiful… Such a shame!

Also, is it possible to alter the phase in the configurator? I saw a post here from someone who initially  thought they had a performance issue but realised the phase setting was wrong.

Thanks for any input or comments!
You are not alone in your observations regarding the Devialet Remote. Lot's of users here have the same issues. I believe Devialet has developed a new remote for use with the Phantom Speakers. Possibly this could work with the Expert line, but it was pulled from the site recently, and very little specs were offered. But it could indicate Devialet is working on it.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(19-Mar-2015, 11:50)Eddye Wrote: You are not alone in your observations regarding the Devialet Remote. Lot's of users here have the same issues. I believe Devialet has developed a new remote for use with the Phantom Speakers. Possibly this could work with the Expert line, but it was pulled from the site recently, and very little specs were offered. But it could indicate Devialet is working on it.
I had exactly the same complaint about the display visibility and asked about a display on the remote back in 2011. I was told the battery life would be unacceptable with a display in the remote. I got a free marketing stand instead, so I could see the display on the amp itself. I see this stand (originally intended for display at dealers) is on the pricelist now.

The Phantom remote seems to have been dropped for now, maybe they haven't got the resource to engineer it whilst they are flat out trying to get the part of Spark that has been released working properly whilst at the same time working on those parts of it (like the remote...) which are not yet implemented.

Or maybe they found the battery life was unacceptable Smile

One thing is sure, we may complain about shortcomings of Air but Spark is much, much worse even in its basic part released form so things like implementing non-essentials like the beautiful remote will be a long way off at a guess.

I also was hoping this lovely remote would be available by now and also work with my amps, but clearly not a priority with the firefighting going on with software at the moment.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi Clark,

You can assign a phase invert button to the remote.

As for burn in. I work away from home and every time I come home I leave my D200 and Mac mini on for days. The first night I'm always a bit annoyed with a bit of harshness. The second night I find myself playing one song after another and loving the smooth sound it produces. It might be that my ears just got used to it or it might be that it really sounds better after a good warm up. Either way it works for me so that's my method and I'm sticking with it.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I see the new remote is back on the website now, "coming soon" .......
I googled 'soon'

soon
suːn/Submit
adverb
in or after a short time.
"everyone will soon know the truth"
synonyms: in a short time, shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a twinkling, in the twinkling of an eye, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), any time (now), by and by;

...won't be long then Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Mar-2015, 14:31)Confused Wrote: I see the new remote is back on the website now, "coming soon" .......

Here is a picture of this "coming soon" remote:

■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(19-Mar-2015, 20:57)Charlemagne Wrote:
(19-Mar-2015, 14:31)Confused Wrote: I see the new remote is back on the website now, "coming soon" .......

looks a bit like the Nest thermostat !
can it also change the heating ?

http://www.plumbcare.com/blog/what-is-a-...hermostat/
My D120 has certainly changed it's sound in the month that I've had it; the top end was a bit sharp at first, and it is certainly less so now. I notice it with each of three pairs of speakers that I play with. I suspect your D200 will also settle in with more hours. 

Just taking one part of the original post, I don't know why the Devialet remote deserves criticism for not having a display; I don't know of any remote that shows volume or other settings. Granted, on many other boxes the front panel display is large enough to show the volume in big, friendly, numbers. My now-former Naim UnitiQute did indeed have that feature.

I'm not saying that it is not a good idea, or that I wouldn't like it; I just think that the absence of a display is not a flaw unique to the Devialet. We had a Linn Classik in the family for a while and the remote is easily the worst I've ever seen; a billion buttons.... and no display. Exhibit A attached. I'll happily stick with the the big metal knob. 

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(19-Mar-2015, 21:45)krass Wrote:
(19-Mar-2015, 20:57)Charlemagne Wrote:

looks a bit like the Nest thermostat !
can it also change the heating ?

http://www.plumbcare.com/blog/what-is-a-...hermostat/

LOL it does look like it. 'Why is it so hot in here? And why can't I get the volume turned up?"   Tongue oops! Wrong remote!
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.