Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any recommended speaker on the SAM list that sounds BIG?
I read the B&W recommendation in some posts. I have some doubts that this brand will appeal to you if you have chosen for Harbeth. To be honest, if you love Harbeth, I doubt if any other speaker will be really to your taste.

I have the Magico S1, and they portrey a very wide soundstage (if it is in the recording). So you could give it a listen. The S1s do not go very low though, although SAM definitely helps. And you can get them used for (just) under $10k.
NAS: LaCie Cloudbox
Streaming bridge: Auralic Aries
DAC/Amplifier: Devialet 200
Speakers: Magico S1
Digital cables: Audioquest Cinnamon
Loudspeaker cables: Vertere Pulse-X Mini
Eric, I'm not married to the idea of Harbeths. I bought them on several recommendations from people because I loved the Martin Logan sound of ESL panels. Nothing non-ESL seemed to touch that. The Raidhos were the first time I heard someone talk about a fast speaker that's reminiscent of ESL. Wide soundstage is not my problem. I have plenty of that. Tall is my problem... Are the Magicos like that? And are they musical? Local dealers have each, a Magico S1 and a Raidho x1.

Mike, thanks! I'll be getting those things anyway Smile

Samurai, thanks for the clarification. I guess, then, the Focals will just remain in the "pretty" category, not what I'm looking for.
Devialet 400 / Von Gaylord Return Of The Legend + VG-1 Plus / Well Tempered Simplex w/ Dynavector 20x2L
(24-Mar-2015, 17:34)absolutk Wrote: Eric, I'm not married to the idea of Harbeths. I bought them on several recommendations from people because I loved the Martin Logan sound of ESL panels. Nothing non-ESL seemed to touch that. The Raidhos were the first time I heard someone talk about a fast speaker that's reminiscent of ESL. Wide soundstage is not my problem. I have plenty of that. Tall is my problem... Are the Magicos like that? And are they musical? Local dealers have each, a Magico S1 and a Raidho x1.

Samurai, thanks for the clarification. I guess, then, the Focals will just remain in the "pretty" category, not what I'm looking for.

In that case it is an altogether different story. About both Raidho and Magico it is said that they possess a transparency that is almost like an ESL (such as Martin Logan). And for Magico, I can confirm that. So I definitely think that you should listen to both brands, and see if one of these is to your taste.
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will be doing some listening this weekend. Smile
Devialet 400 / Von Gaylord Return Of The Legend + VG-1 Plus / Well Tempered Simplex w/ Dynavector 20x2L
(25-Mar-2015, 19:57)absolutk Wrote: Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will be doing some listening this weekend. Smile

Have great fun Smile

And let us know what your impressions are....
(25-Mar-2015, 19:57)absolutk Wrote: Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will be doing some listening this weekend. Smile

Hi absolutk, have you been able to audition either Raidho or Magico?
(06-Apr-2015, 08:19)EricDH Wrote:

Hi absolutk, have you been able to audition either Raidho or Magico?

Hey Eric,

I actually did not end up going. For three reasons: 1.) I've been battling a cold for the last week or so. 2.) I'm interested in knowing what's coming in May in the form of news from Devialet and 3.) I've been intrigued by the Von Gaylord brand of equipment that my friends own - local guy. This endeavor is on hold for now Smile
(24-Mar-2015, 17:34)absolutk Wrote: Eric, I'm not married to the idea of Harbeths. I bought them on several recommendations from people because I loved the Martin Logan sound of ESL panels. Nothing non-ESL seemed to touch that. The Raidhos were the first time I heard someone talk about a fast speaker that's reminiscent of ESL. Wide soundstage is not my problem. I have plenty of that. Tall is my problem... Are the Magicos like that? And are they musical? Local dealers have each, a Magico S1 and a Raidho x1.

Sorry to rain on a parade, but the impression of height from a 2 channel system only comes from the layout of the transducers or room. Panels have height and give the impression of height but it is an artefact not part of the recording. Some other speakers which bounce the sound around the room can give the impression too, but it is equally false.
There is no mechanism by which a 2 channel system can genuinely (rather than artificial artefacts) have more tha 2 degrees of freedom, and depth and width are the two genuine articles from a left and right pair of speakers.
The laws of physics I'm afraid.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(23-Mar-2015, 09:10)absolutk Wrote: Mike, do you think the X-1 does the D400 justice? Or is it limiting the D400's capabilities? I will be augmenting the sound with a sub, but still, the 50Hz low end does not make me happy.

Adding a sub will negate the SAM effect.
SAM is a complex model of the speaker, adding something else which is not part of the SAM model (any sub) will destroy the capability.
In fact I believe that the Sub output is disabled when a SAM file is loaded to avoid this sort of error being made.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(06-Apr-2015, 19:24)f1eng Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 09:10)absolutk Wrote: Mike, do you think the X-1 does the D400 justice? Or is it limiting the D400's capabilities? I will be augmenting the sound with a sub, but still, the 50Hz low end does not make me happy.

Adding a sub will negate the SAM effect.
SAM is a complex model of the speaker, adding something else which is not part of the SAM model (any sub) will destroy the capability.
In fact I believe that the Sub output is disabled when a SAM file is loaded to avoid this sort of error being made.

Magnepan's.. they sound big because they are big!