Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Sonos by Toslink in ?
Hi Guys,

I would like to continue to use my Sonos multi-room system instead of the Spark that is by far not as mature and fully functioned as Sonos.
Spoke to Devialet support and asked if the Toslink IN connector on the back of the Phantoms would be able to accept a Toslink in signal from my Sonos Connect.
Devialet told me I do need at least the Spark app for set-up..but maybe also a Dialog as well, but once set-up they thought it may work....they would get back to me...and that's a month ago.
At present I'm using active speakers and also DAC connected by the Sonos Toslink out.
I know that Sonos can't transfer full HD music, but I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality to be able to keep the advance and user friendly ( and stable) Sonos system.

Anybody here have any idea if Toslink in ( Aux in) would work ?
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Add me to this list of TOSLINK dependents. I'm initially going to feed it this way from my Mac Mini Optical Out, to avoid all the streaming problems. Other 'Chatters are complaining streaming doesn't work properly, some even giving up for the time being, but they don't say if they used the optical input for any length of time.

It WILL work (at least up to 96KHz anyway). The only question is how to configure it to always use the TOSLINK input by default on power-up.

My ideal first-use scenario would be to be able to feed it a mix of center & sub channels from my A/V surround system.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(25-Mar-2015, 12:10)McChicken Wrote: Hi Guys,

I would like to continue to use my Sonos multi-room system instead of the Spark that is by far not as mature and fully functioned as Sonos.
Spoke to Devialet support and asked if the Toslink IN connector on the back of the Phantoms would be able to accept a Toslink in signal from my Sonos Connect.
Devialet told me I do need at least the Spark app for set-up..but maybe also a Dialog as well, but once set-up they thought it may work....they would get back to me...and that's a month ago.
At present I'm using active speakers and also DAC connected by the Sonos Toslink out.
I know that Sonos can't transfer full HD music, but I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality to be able to keep the advance and user friendly ( and stable) Sonos system.

Anybody here have any idea if Toslink in ( Aux in) would work ?

I think this should work without problems. I have 2 Phantoms Silver and a Dialog. Toslink on the Dialog is not yet ready, but both Toslink inputs on the Phantoms work stable. You will need Spark to setup the system. With Spark you add the optical input by double clicking on it in Spark under sources. Like this the optical input is added to the playlist. Now you go to the playlist and choose it like you would choose a song and your optical input is selected and plays what comes in from any source that is connected to it. Now you need Spark only for changing the volume. When you set the volume e.g. to 35 (of 100) you can close Spark and use your Sonos to adjust the volume. I use a AppleTV like that and stream Spotify from the Ipad.
They have announced that the next version of Spark will support optical input on the Dialog.
So Sonos output to Phantom will work.

But the main issue will probably sound latency, it not very probable that the extra network latency added by the Dialog and its wifi/PLC network will allow it to be in sync with other SONOS speakers.
So It will probably work with just Phantom speakers in a zone...And multiple zones playing in sync will not work...

The ideal solution will be to input the same optical signal in 2 x phantom with an optical splitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Optical-T...B000RWDUYO), but you'll get 2x mono (stereo mix) on the two phantom .

You'll need to be able to select in some ways if you want stereo mix, left or right channel, I don't know if Spark allow that, if not  you'll have two stereo mix phantoms not real stereo.

Denis
but Devialet wants to make Phantom usable for multichannel sound. With a delay this would be unusable for video...
There will probably be no delay between Phantom in a Devialet only installation (if they can make it, Sonos has spent years to do it correctly in most homes), it's when you mix Sonos devices and Devialet devices that it will not work...
at least I cannot use AIR for video sound with my 800, I have to use USB or digital in. I have some doubts that Phantom Wifi will work without a delay. On the other hand there is no HDMI port in the Dialog, so all HD audio formats will not be supported.
(26-Mar-2015, 09:26)denis Wrote: They have announced that the next version of Spark will support optical input on the Dialog.
So Sonos output to Phantom will work.

But the main issue will probably sound latency, it not very probable that the extra network latency added by the Dialog and its wifi/PLC network will allow it to be in sync with other SONOS speakers.
So It will probably work with just Phantom speakers in a zone...And multiple zones playing in sync will not work...

The ideal solution will be to input the same optical signal in 2 x phantom with an optical splitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Optical-T...B000RWDUYO), but you'll get 2x mono (stereo mix) on the two phantom .

You'll need to be able to select in some ways if you want stereo mix, left or right channel, I don't know if Spark allow that, if not  you'll have two stereo mix phantoms not real stereo.

Denis

No, this will not work and would not improve anything in the current implemenations of the Phantom with Dialog. When you use the optical input of one Phantom the signal content is sent to the Dialog and then distributed to the left and right channels of the Phantoms. There is a delay of about 100 ms. I got an echo of this delay when I used 2 AppleTvs one to the Phantoms and one to another Active speaker (B&W Zeppelin) that normally plays synchronus with the source (MacMini). Normally, my AppleTVs are in sync in a multi-room or multispeaker setup. 100 ms delay can be ok for sync with a movie, but is at limit for 24p movies. 50Hz or 60Hz movies would be better off with 20ms or less delay.
I have ordered a pair of Silver Phantoms and Dialog. I was simply too curious...will report back how they compare to Giya G2 and Devialet 800...
(26-Mar-2015, 22:49)karebe Wrote: A combination of Sonos loudspeakers and Phantoms is not possible. At least for now. Dialog and Spark know only Devialet devices (Phantoms at the moment) and Sonos controllers know only Sonos compatible devices. Teufel's Raumfeld only knows Raumfeld devices. Each of these device families has its own capabilities and they are usually best known and used by its creators. Besides companies are of course more interested selling their own goodies than integration others.
Thanks guys for your input. 
NO I am not talking about Sonos speakers...I'm talking using the Toslink OUT on 2pcs ( Left + Right) Sonos Connect to feed the Phantom Toslink input.
At present I'm using active speakers this way, but they are feed over the analog RCA outputs on the Sonos Connect.
The Sonos Connect will for sure not have any delay, what I do think may be an issue is to make the Sonos / Phantom to understand that they only shall act as LEFT or RIGHT speaker.
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.