Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colloms Hifi Critic 200 review
At one point, Martin Colloms would have been one of the first few people, worldwide, that a manufacturer and/or distributor would want to review a potentially groundbreaking product.

How times change or how politics impact. The Devialet is nearly 4 years old and here, seemingly, is his first chance to do it.

Anyway the 200 is to be reviewed in HiFi Critic (Jan/Feb/Mar 2015) due out this week - they always run behind schedule.

Allegedly it runs to 10 pages but the publication is subscription only though it may appear on Devialet's website in due course.

On the HiFi Critic forum, Colloms says "At long last we have the Devialet 200 in for review, and I will not comment on the politics involved.

Today I was shown that the Class A core truly exists, with the covers off and set upside down , you can literally pull the main power amp out of its sockets to leave the Class A core of a few watts. This will play good music at modest volume even when the D section is removed, so proving this part of the principle. 

There are many facilities to understand and try out but I will major on CD and HD format feeds from a good transport and from the Naim NDS , the latter also streaming HD audio to it via wired SPDIF. 

It is exceptionally versatile , in how to operate it, from an App or the radio linked non line of sight remote, the fully configurable analogue inputs including moving coil cartridge, to the digital inputs Bluetooth and WiFi streaming, to the hard wired digital inputs including SPDIF eg from a NAIM NDS.

My unit is a well run in demonstrator and has SD cards for four loudspeakers to thoroughly investigate the SAM loudspeaker optimising software, this a key focus for the review."
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
HiFi Critic is out today with Martin Colloms' 8 page review of the Devialet 200, along with the SAM technology.

Knowing this reviewer's traits, I could have probably predicted the critical part of the review before reading it: MC places a high premium on PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing) - which, from reading many of his reviews over ten years or so, is particularly a Naim characteristic. And in his eyes it is not a Devialet characteristic, and the unit gets neither a Best Buy nor a Recommended rating.

Colloms uses a perverse scoring system, which is logarithmic, and so what started out as a 0 - 10 scale has now expanded to put some scores in the 200s, for example the Naim Unitiserve front end (237), the Townshend Allegri pre (230) and the D'Agostino power (210). Against these references he scores the Devialet 37 once SAM'ed.

I guess it is the least praising review of the Devialet ever, which is not a surprise, but it will probably be the least read, given the subscription only nature of HiFi Critic and its likely non-use by Devialet and distributors and dealers.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(02-Apr-2015, 15:31)IanG-UK Wrote: HiFi Critic is out today with Martin Colloms' 8 page review of the Devialet 200, along with the SAM technology.

Knowing this reviewer's traits, I could have probably predicted the critical part of the review before reading it: MC places a high premium on PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing) - which, from reading many of his reviews over ten years or so, is particularly a Naim characteristic. And in his eyes it is not a Devialet characteristic, and the unit gets neither a Best Buy nor a Recommended rating.

Colloms uses a perverse scoring system, which is logarithmic, and so what started out as a 0 - 10 scale has now expanded to put some scores in the 200s, for example the Naim Unitiserve front end (237), the Townshend Allegri pre (230) and the D'Agostino power (210). Against these references he scores the Devialet 37 once SAM'ed.

I guess it is the least praising review of the Devialet ever, which is not a surprise, but it will probably be the least read, given the subscription only nature of HiFi Critic and its likely non-use by Devialet and distributors and dealers.
Hi Ian,
I chopped in my Naim 552/300/NDS/555 for a Dev 800 and love the detail, seperation and bass, my foot taps just as much, plus the 800 does not buzz unlike the Naim power supplies. Of course it is only Colloms view, us Devious folk know better!
Cheers
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
'Devious' or 'Deviant' ?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(02-Apr-2015, 16:46)wwm Wrote:
(02-Apr-2015, 15:31)IanG-UK Wrote: HiFi Critic is out today with Martin Colloms' 8 page review of the Devialet 200, along with the SAM technology.

Hi Ian,
I chopped in my Naim 552/300/NDS/555 for a Dev 800 and love the detail, seperation and bass, my foot taps just as much, plus the 800 does not buzz unlike the Naim power supplies. Of course it is only Colloms view, us Devious folk know better!
Cheers
Bill.

For what it's worth Martin Colloms didn't test the 800, or 400 for that matter. Just the 200. Make of it what you will.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
MC reviews have always been a mystery to me and my own listening experiences though at few times they concurred.

I also come from the Naim camp and Dev is def better in all areas. The thing is that the Dev really do PRAT so good it is just natural music coming out of the speakers as it doesn't leave a mark of it self like a product that is 'tuned' this or that way. 

Well we all have our experiences and opinions. 

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I know they are meant to be free from manufacturer bias in HiFi Critic, but there's a ton of pro-Naim stuff again in the magazine once more this time.

The Dev review is very poor, lots of inaccuracies - lots of niggly stuff in the preamble. It doesn't feel impartial to me, and that's a huge disappointment from a reviewer I held in high esteem.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks Ian, for the teaser of the review. I'm totally comfortable with a review that finds the Devialet not to the author's liking; we all have audio preferences.

I think that reviews are most valuable when we feel we have some familiarity with the reviewers interests and preferences. Then we're reading opinions and commentary from someone we feel we know. Without having some understanding of his ears, it's hard to take issue with his opinion. I've never heard of him and I know nothing about his style or audio inclinations. At about $30.00 an issue the magazine is pricey; I'd be interested to know if anyone who subscribes thinks it is three times the value of Stereophile. As you say, not many will be familiar with him, though Paul Messenger is well-known.

I also love the PRaT of Naim equipment, I love the urgency and drive it has compared to the other similarly-priced equipment I've heard. But it is solidly true that I have lost nothing in the rhythm and drive department going from Naim to Devialet. And I've gained so much in the subtlety, depth, clarity and expression of the music that I could never go back. And the bass texture and detail in the Devialet is still something that I marvel at... and me with my 'umble D120.

I think that the number of knowledgable music enthusiasts (not people interested in just hi-fi) who have switched from Naim to Devialet is a telling counterpoint to the idea that PRaT is compromised with Devialet. I don't count myself among the wise or knowing crowd, but I do believe that the slim chrome boxes are amazing, both for sound quality and value.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
M
(02-Apr-2015, 21:22)Mikeeo Wrote: MC reviews have always been a mystery to me and my own listening experiences though at few times they concurred.

I also come from the Naim camp and Dev is def better in all areas. The thing is that the Dev really do PRAT so good it is just natural music coming out of the speakers as it doesn't leave a mark of it self like a product that is 'tuned' this or that way. 

Well we all have our experiences and opinions. 

/Mike

I very much agree. Music sounds so much more natural and enjoyable to me via Devialet than it ever did on the various Naim digital systems that I've owned or heard...  I occasionally use a Naim NDX for streaming but by-pass the DAC because it's so poor in comparison with that in my 200

Edit: I did very much enjoy listening to a CD555/NDS/555/552/500 system but that cost around £90,000
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I heard Naim kit once and must admit I did like it ......but lets be honest it's the Ann Widdiecomb of hi fi Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England